Preview R8 Fremantle FC -V- Collingwood Magpies -=Who Will Win?=-

Remove this Banner Ad

TAB is going to present an irresistible opportunity this weekend as you wouldn't find many situations when a team in as good form as the Pies are go into a game as underdogs.

Might just as well set fire to any money on the Magpies I reckon. :)

Good luck either way - struggling to contain myself with the wait.

I look forward to seeing Medhurst swing around and launch a bomb on goal from the 50m line on the boundary. Of course they will land a few feet short as usual and be rushed behind. Then we can deploy our Taraant, Sandilands tap over the top to Hill to Pavlich set piece. High fives all around.

Medhurst has started the season pretty slowly.

Medhurst has been in excellent form for the whole season. He is doing a lot of setting up, which goes unnoticed.

Beauty of our forward line is it's eveness. Didak (who is a bonafide A Grader), Davis, Medhurst complemented by Cloke & the improving Dawes. I also suspect Jolly (who has a good record against Sandilands) & Fraser will spend a bit of time forward.

You need 6 very versatile defenders to compete with that.

Medhurst has been in excellent form for the whole season. He is doing a lot of setting up, which goes unnoticed.

Beauty of our forward line is it's eveness. Didak (who is a bonafide A Grader), Davis, Medhurst complemented by Cloke & the improving Dawes. I also suspect Jolly (who has a good record against Sandilands) & Fraser will spend a bit of time forward.

You need 6 very versatile defenders to compete with that.

Say What? :eek:

Sandilands has annihilated Jolly on many occasions. I can't think of the last game where Jolly even got close to breaking even. Dating right back to when Sandilands was instrumental in keeping us in the game for 3/4 in the preliminary final in 2006.

Jolly is Sandilands bitch.

Say What? :eek:

Sandilands has annihilated Jolly on many occasions. I can't think of the last game where Jolly even got close to breaking even. Dating right back to when Sandilands was instrumental in keeping us in the game for 3/4 in the preliminary final in 2006.

Jolly is Sandilands bitch.

Mate when you are as big as he is, everyone is your bitch.

That was a hard slog reading between all the dribble, alas I got there.

KPR you made some good points and an explanation of matchups (which is much better than most), however I think it is harsh to call Medhurst a horrible player. He is a good defensive forward player now, however he still has his traditional disappearing acts. I like watching him play more now than when at Freo as he is more disciplined and team oriented. He was competing with Farmer for that forward pocket spot though. Jolly has been a good find for the Pies also offering a bit of diversity.

This game will generate a lot of goals and free flowing footy. It will be good to see how our pressure stands up against Collingwood who are one of the better movers of the footy in the comp. That is what we have relied on, our pressure causing turnovers then the quick counter attack. It worked against Geelong so I can not see why it cannot work against Collingwood.

I think Freo will win by 9 points.

Watching Carlton take the Saints apart last night and considering that Collingwood destroyed Carlton I think the form line is swinging their way a bit.

Carlton played well, no doubt, but don't you think the Sinners were off a fair bit last night? They seemed disinterested (or is it entitled?).

^^^^^ THIS.

Collingwood's form has been steadily getting better, and with the bruising derby followed by the long trip to Brissy our form has been tested:
On Saturday we lost the 4th quarter.

Having said that, Fremantle have risen to every challenge that has faced them this year without fear or hesitation. I can't see why the Pies game would be any different.

This game will be a tight contest, but I'm predicting a free-flowing game which may lead to the scoreboard flattering the victor one way or the other.

With a 40'000 strong crowd behind them you would think Freo will find the extra level required in a big game.

Freo by 10 goals.

Collingwood players usually think it's a walk in the park against us anytime hence they get beat at Subiaco.

I'm pretty confident they'll think the same thing at least for the first quarter before we've driven them into the turf 30+ times.

BTW, thanks for Taz. Your talentless coaching squad didn't know what to do with him.

Lets be honest, the trade has benefited both clubs equally. Tarrant has reinvented himself at Freo playing in the backline and the Pies got Medhurst who has been a AA and got Ben Reid who looks like he will be a handy player.

Collingwood players usually think it's a walk in the park against us anytime hence they get beat at Subiaco.

I'm pretty confident they'll think the same thing at least for the first quarter before we've driven them into the turf 30+ times.

i disagree. There is no way in hell Collingwood will think this will be a walk in the park. This is a top of the table clash and we have never really done that well against Freo at Subi so you cant guarantee the boys will be going out there with respect for them.

This has all the makings of a great game. Really looking fwd to it. Obviously i think we have a really good chance but Freo are quality and are being rewarded for all the decisions they made with the rebuilding and recruiting over the last few seasons.

Really have no idea who will win this, a few people on here seem a lot more confident than form would suggest. Collingwood have been playing pretty exceptional footy.

I would like to see a very hard tag on Shaw, can't be letting him set up play from defence by running around without an opponent.

I think our defence has the tools to restrict Collingwood's forwards and the Pies will have to win from midfielders kicking most of their goals ... Tarrant and McPharlin are far superior to any key forwards the Pies have, plus Broughton looks a good matchup for one of their small forwards. They have been producing extremely high inside 50 numbers, if we can go close to breaking even with them for inside 50s, then I think we will win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like to see a very hard tag on Shaw, can't be letting him set up play from defence by running around without an opponent.

Yeah what we need is a guy willing to play as a defensive forward and sacrifice his own game to stop opposition run out of defence.

Unfortunately that guy will be rewarded for his efforts by having every man and his dog demand he be dropped for not having enough flashy possessions.

Yeah what we need is a guy willing to play as a defensive forward and sacrifice his own game to stop opposition run out of defence.

Unfortunately that guy will be rewarded for his efforts by having every man and his dog demand he be dropped for not having enough flashy possessions.

I think you are talking about De Boer? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the folks here would be so hard on De Boer if he didn't squander so many kicks at goal. He does a good defensive job nullifying some run off HB, but he still needs to kick goals. I rate him highly, but his kicking at goal has been shocking.

Maybe we need to tell Hasleby that all of the Collingwood players are made of lamb chops, then he could play that defensive forward role.

Tarrant and McPharlin are far superior to any key forwards the Pies have.

Jack gave Tarrant a bath the last time both sides played. It should be a good battle but your midfield rotation stops at about 5/6, we have a rotation of about 8/9. Subiaco suits our gameplan to an absolute tee.

Interested to know your thoughts on the 6 day turn around from Brissy. No doubt Freo are a changed side but wondering how the short turn around will effect some if any of the players.

Personally if it wasn't a 6 day turn around 2 weeks running I think the Pies would be hard up to beat you, but have a feeling they might have superior legs in the last quarter and just get home.

Should be a good match either way. Good luck.

I hope we can keep up the intensity we've shown in previous weeks.

If our midfield and forward line don't help contain the ball in our forward 50 our backline is going to get absolutely hammered by Collingwood. They have a very good forward line with a good mix of smalls and talls and flashy players with pace. To win, we'll need to win the clearances and have players like Mayne and Ballantyne working overtime to keep that ball inside our half.

I think you are talking about De Boer? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't think the folks here would be so hard on De Boer if he didn't squander so many kicks at goal. He does a good defensive job nullifying some run off HB, but he still needs to kick goals. I rate him highly, but his kicking at goal has been shocking.

I hear what you are both saying here. I am guilty of yelling profanities at my TV a few times when de Boer has shanked a kick.
But you cant question the blokes work ethic and tenacity.
The thing is he gets the ball, and is shagged from laying 3 tackles in a row that he sprays the kick from pure knackeredness... fitness and more experience will improve that :thumbsu:

I dont want any player getting the 'flashy possesions' if he is doing the team thing and following 'the process' :footy: therefore getiing a game each week.

Jack gave Tarrant a bath the last time both sides played. It should be a good battle but your midfield rotation stops at about 5/6, we have a rotation of about 8/9. Subiaco suits our gameplan to an absolute tee.

You might want to check the facts rather than just look at the score sheet. What did he kick that game, 4?

I think you will find at least 2 were from free kicks in front of goal from a freo player other than Taz. Grover springs to mind.

Interested to know your thoughts on the 6 day turn around from Brissy. No doubt Freo are a changed side but wondering how the short turn around will effect some if any of the players.

Personally if it wasn't a 6 day turn around 2 weeks running I think the Pies would be hard up to beat you, but have a feeling they might have superior legs in the last quarter and just get home.

Should be a good match either way. Good luck.

There is a thread here talking about this very issue.

Collingwood fans can say we are trying to look for excuses but the 6 day break coming back from Brisbane is going to be a factor in this game IMO. I remember back in 06 we played WC in a derby and they had just come back from Brisbane, also on a 6 day break. From memory it was pretty close up until half time but after that their players looked to be running on the spot and we cruised to victory.

Leigh Matthews even came out in defence of WC saying they were always going to be up against it and that Brisbane struggle to back up after trips to Perth

I was there champ. He didn't receive any Frees For in that game.

He took Tazz apart.

Hmm, you're right about the frees, just checked Footywire and Jack got 0 FF:eek::eek:

Sad thing is I was there too and seem to remember it clear as day, would have bet on it... As another illustious poster says, gotta lay off the bong water

I'm taking full credit for Freo's start to the season through my continual pessimism.

Collingwood are the form team of the comp, and have a very even spread of midfielders who are contributing heavily to their scoresheet. Freo are coming off two 6 day breaks and after the longest road trip in the game, plus a buggered up flying schedule. While we have the goods to beat the pies the odds are stacked agaionst us and we will go down by 5 points in a nail biting finish where the crowd just fail to get their team over the line.

A few collingwood fans are talking about subi suiting their game plan. I have seen a little bit of the pies this year and they still seem to be obsessed with taking the long way home to goals. Don't really see how this suits Subi. I know Malthouse did the same with the Eagles but they were an exceptional team. The pies could well be a bit buggered in the last quarter after running the extra distance at Subi

Medhurst has started the season pretty slowly. IIRC most of his goals in the last few weeks have come in junk time and he looks a step off his AA form from '08. Mind you I think he'll be keen to prove himself on his old hunting ground, away from the familiar surroundings of a Victorian ground...

He's definitely a notch below his AA form, but he's playing OK. His defensive work has been terrific -- that side of his game is as good as it was in his AA year. He's not in great goalkicking form by those standards, though. But I'm pretty confident it'll click for him at some point. (Friday night would be nice.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R8 Fremantle FC -V- Collingwood Magpies -=Who Will Win?=-

Remove this Banner Ad

Back