Rank the best future midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Good effort OP.

These kind of threads turn into 'look what mistake you've made' when overall it's a pretty decent effort.

I would rank for the next 2-4 years,

1. Richmond (I don't think bias. Richmond's midfield is already top 4-6 in the competition and our oldest Midfielder is Brett Deledio at 26. Vlastuin, Conca, Ellis will all be A graders, B+ at worst. Grigg and Houli have jumped up further, Martin and Cotchin are already A & A+.

2. Gold Coast (Lots of development will need to take place for them to reach second, but this year they've made quite scary improvements. With the inclusion of Jack Martin I think they'll be quite ominous for years to come.

3. Sydney (Their 2009 draft was done right. I think Sydney are brilliant. Hannebery, Jack, Mitchell already three players that will take them further for the next 10 years).

I think Sydney and Richmond are close at the top end but Sydney will have a lot more depth:

Cotchin > Kennedy (only just)
Jack = Deledio
Hannebery = Martin
Mitchell = Vlastiun
Parker = Ellis
Bird = Grigg
Jetta > Conca
Rohan = ?
Lamb = ?
McGlynn = ?

I forgot a few names on the first attempt.

I think Sydney and Richmond are close at the top end but Sydney will have a lot more depth:

Jack = Deledio
Hannebery = Martin
Mitchell = Vlastiun
Parker = Ellis
Bird = Grigg
Jetta > Houli
Rohan = ?
Lamb = ?
Kennedys dominance in finals makes him better than Cotchin but I agree with the rest.

Gold Coast are the clear standout IMO and GWS are also ahead of the rest. They'll be dominating the comp for a big part of this decade but I think our young midfield talent will mean we hang in and compete for the top 4 for many years.

Jack = Deledio
Hannebery = Martin
Mitchell = Vlastiun
Parker = Ellis
Bird = Grigg
Jetta > Conca
Rohan = ?
Lamb = ?
McGlynn = ?

I forgot a few names on the first attempt.

Fair points. You've got good depth.

We're pretty confident Ellis and Vlastuin will elevate another level, so to Conca.

Matty Arnot will be a ripper. First game last week had 7 tackles, a few goal assists and will be fantastic for us. Just watch him.

Shane Edwards is also an important part of our midfield. Second highest clearances at the club behind Cotchin. Very underrated player and he's just brilliant. So throw him in our midfield.

Nathan Foley has signed for two years. He's 27 and I'm pretty certain he'll be around for the next 4 years.

So change it to this.

Jack < Deledio (only just)
Hannebery = Martin
Mitchell = Vlastuin
Parker = Ellis
Bird = Grigg
Jetta > Conca
Rohan < Foley
Lamb < Edwards
McGlynn > Arnot

More even now.

Jack < Deledio (only just)
Hannebery = Martin
Mitchell = Vlastuin
Parker = Ellis
Bird = Grigg
Jetta > Conca
Rohan < Foley
Lamb < Edwards
McGlynn > Arnot

More even now.

That's fine, but your natural bias tilts that comparison in your favour.

If I was to compare midfields I would say:

Kennedy > Cotchin
Jack = Deledio
Hannebery = Martin
Parker > Ellis
Mitchell = Vlastuin
Bird = Grigg
Jetta = Conca
Rohan < Foley

Now you can see that my bias tilts in the other way. You need a neutral observer really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kennedy > Cotchin
Jack = Deledio
Hannebery = Martin
Parker > Ellis
Mitchell = Vlastuin
Bird = Grigg
Jetta = Conca
Rohan < Foley

Now you can see that my bias tilts in the other way. You need a neutral observer really.

Pretty even which ever way you look at it really, both clubs wouldn't be to unhappy about with the midfield crop they have coming through.

There is so much bias in threads talking about kids. Every supporter believes and desperately wants all their kids to be guns so it's justified.

Pretty even which ever way you look at it really, both clubs wouldn't be to unhappy about with the midfield crop they have coming through.

I hate to say it, but if Port can get Hartlett to stop firing blanks 2 out of every 3 weeks, and can get his workrate/endevour up to the same level as his potential, I think they will be a close 2nd to GC.
More true midfield talent than GWS at this stage. Doubt Gaz will be @ GC in a few years.

Sydney are kinda scary though.

WB not even in OP's top 10? wowzer. i mean yeah we lack a couple of runners, but still

There is so much bias in threads talking about kids. Every supporter believes and desperately wants all their kids to be guns so it's justified.

too right, and the fact that generally you'd know more about your team's 'fringe' youngsters

Geelong:
(Selwood, Caddy, Christensen, Menzel, Motlop, Stringer)

0d52c__cropped_cropped_Jackie-Chan-WTF.jpg

Rank in order of top 10 the best midfields in a few years.

I tried to exclude anyone over 29 years old as they will not be as relevant in 2-4 years.

Adelaide:
(dangerfield, vince, wright, mackay, douglas, crouch)

Brisbane:
(rich, beams, golby, hanley, moloney, redden, rockliff, zorko)
Carlton:
(gibbs, joseph, mclean, menzel, murphy, robinson)
Collingwood:
(d.thomas, pendlebury, sidebottom, beams, mccaffer, dwyer, martin, seedsman)
Essendon:
(hocking, watson, stanton, dempsey, goddard, howlett, melksham, heppell, winderlich, zaharakis)
Fremantle:
(fyfe, mundy, barlow, crozier, hill, pearce, mzungu)
Geelong:
(Selwood, Caddy, Christensen, Menzel, Motlop, Stringer)
Gold Coast:
(Harbrow, G.Ablett, O'Meara, Prestia, Bennell, Broughton, Hunt, Swallow)
GWS:
(Treloar, Adams, Bugg, Buntine, Coniglio, Greene, Kennedy, Scully, Sheil, Whitfield, Sumner, Ward)
Hawthorn:
(Bruest, Hill , Lewis, Savage, Shiels, Puopolo, Smith)
Melbourne:
(Toumpas, Trengrove, Viney, M.Jones, Blease, N.Jones, Evans, Magner, Sylvia)
North Melbourne:
(Swallow, Ziebell, Mullett, Anthony, Bastinac, Cunnington, Gibson)
Port Adelaide:
(Boak, Hartlett, Wingard, Wines, Broadbent, Brad Ebert, Gray, Moore, Monfries)
Richmond:
(Cotchin, Deledio, Martin, Vlastuin, Ellis, Grigg, Foley, Houli)
St Kilda:
(Armitage, Ray, Ross, Stanley, Steven, Saunders)
Sydney:
(Bird, Hanneberry, Jack, Mitchell, Jetta, Kennedy, Lamb, Mcglynn, Rampe)
West Coast:
(Selwood, Masten, Shuey, Gaff, Dalziell, Hill, Priddis, Rosa, Wellingham)
Western Bulldogs:
(Griffin, Macrae, Liberatore, Cooney, Picken, Smith, Stevens)

Personally:

1) GWS
2) GC
3) Sydney
4) Richmond
5) Port Adelaide
6) Essendon
7) Collingwood
8) Fremantle
9) West Coast
10) North Melbourne

Um, right...... :rolleyes:

Try this accurate list:

Jacobs, Dangerfield, Sloane, Crouch, Douglas, Kerridge, Lyons, Laird, Wright, McKay, Vince.

Actually has a mix of talent, youth and experience. Pretty balanced when ranking midfields I would've thought.
What I like the most about it is the hardness that Wright, Lyons, Laird, Crouch and Kerridge bring. Still only kids but tough ones. Actually will be quite happy if we go under the radar in threads like this.

Kennedy> Cotchin
Jack = Deledio
Hannebery > Martin
Parker = Ellis
Mitchell = Vlastuin
Bird < Grigg
Jetta > Conca
Rohan < Foley

If you haven't got the Suns first, you need to go have a good hard look at yourself.

And if your post started with "I don't think I being biased"...well, you are beyond help.

Embarrassing to see Richmond comparing their midfield to Sydney's. The Swans have an insane midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank the best future midfields

Remove this Banner Ad

Back