Rank the non-Victorian derbies in terms of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Here in Qld Hawthorn could be playing Sydney and we'll get the Suns v Dees game on FTA. Lucky I have Foxtel.
Yeh I know, sometimes there is Brisbane v the saints on, and we miss out on Hawks v Geelong.
Foxtel rocks....

Just a question but do Adelaide fans follow one team when west coast and freo play and port fans follow the other, and vise versa with wa teams following one sa team? Like is there a soft spot one rivals have over another? May not have worded this correctly.

Just a question but do Adelaide fans follow one team when west coast and freo play and port fans follow the other, and vise versa with wa teams following one sa team? Like is there a soft spot one rivals have over another? May not have worded this correctly.

West coast are my second team and the only other team I give even a slight toss about. This is the case for a number of AFC supporters I know too. I always liked WA since the SoO days and west coast were a natural extension of that and have a similar history to us. Have heard numerous west coast supporters saying we're their second side as well.

Not sure if port fans have a similar affinity for freo. Probably not as freo weren't Est. 680 BC

I agree. While I can appreciate the vigour of the SA rivalry, I much prefer the Perth flavour myself. It isn't all about "us vs them" in an "I'm gonna bash your face in you purple campaigner" kinda way. If anything, the sarcastic jests, shit hanging and tension on the train to the derby, at the pub either end of the derby, and the day after the derby is one of the best things about the WA Derby.

I mean, I'd hate to be a Crowd/Port supporter and fear of being glassed just for walking into the wrong pub with the team scarf on. The brawling and verbal abuse is all well and good on game day amongst the most passionate, but otherwise give me the shit hanging that comes with loathing the fellow WA team. It's one of the best things about being a fan in WA.
The WA derby is to nice. That's how I view it being a Port fan who lives in Perth. That may come down to the fact I have worked with and know a lot of people who go for both WA teams and treat the AFL like state of origin rather then what it is which is your team against the rest, I'm not saying all the WA fans do this just I've met alot who do and I don't understand that mentality. Though on the other side of the coin I know alot of Eagles fans who hate Freo and vice versa, but the couple of derbies I've been to the crowd vibe has been very friendly, maybe that's where I've been seated I don't know.

The Showdown has that genuine hatred between the 2 clubs, 2 sets of fans, and from my experience of the few I've travelled back home for I've never felt physically threatened but I've copped alot of shit from Crows fans but that's part of it. Plus I'm emotionally invested in the Showdown so it's always going to be bigger to me.

The WA derby is to nice. That's how I view it being a Port fan who lives in Perth. That may come down to the fact I have worked with and know a lot of people who go for both WA teams and treat the AFL like state of origin rather then what it is which is your team against the rest, I'm not saying all the WA fans do this just I've met alot who do and I don't understand that mentality. Though on the other side of the coin I know alot of Eagles fans who hate Freo and vice versa, but the couple of derbies I've been to the crowd vibe has been very friendly, maybe that's where I've been seated I don't know.

The Showdown has that genuine hatred between the 2 clubs, 2 sets of fans, and from my experience of the few I've travelled back home for I've never felt physically threatened but I've copped alot of shit from Crows fans but that's part of it. Plus I'm emotionally invested in the Showdown so it's always going to be bigger to me.
If instead of port adelaide another amalgam SA team was formed thered be more of that SA vs the rest feeling i think. Because the AFL took an already established 'us against the rest' brand theres a lot more crows vs port rivalry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here in Qld Hawthorn could be playing Sydney and we'll get the Suns v Dees game on FTA. Lucky I have Foxtel.
i lived in adelaide and i dont think i have ever seen a derby on free to air ( even when the SA teams werent playing on the day).
Another thing what i dislike is that the AFL always roster the derby on sunday arvo, which pisses me off.

i lived in adelaide and i dont think i have ever seen a derby on free to air ( even when the SA teams werent playing on the day).
Another thing what i dislike is that the AFL always roster the derby on sunday arvo, which pisses me off.

It's because it's almost always a foxtel game. ch 7 doing a game that doesn't include a Vic team are few and far between.

They are all on FTA but atleast 2 thirds are Foxtel games which are shown on FTA in the home market. The WA Derby broadcast by Foxtel (which most seem to be) is not a home market game in SA so will not be shown on FTA in Adelaide.

So in addition to being on FTA in your home market, you think it should be on FTA in all other markets as well, meaning other clubs fans get to see fewer games of their own clubs on FTA...

To clarify..
Lets say a game where a Vic club was playing Sydney was to be on FTA in Melbourne. Instead you think they should show Port Vs Adelaide, meaning the fans of that Vic club don't get to watch their club (Sydney fans would still get to see it on FTA of course, only Vic club fans and those outside their home market need Foxtel to watch their own club).

So in addition to being on FTA in your home market, you think it should be on FTA in all other markets as well, meaning other clubs fans get to see fewer games of their own clubs on FTA...

To clarify..
Lets say a game where a Vic club was playing Sydney was to be on FTA in Melbourne. Instead you think they should show Port Vs Adelaide, meaning the fans of that Vic club don't get to watch their club (Sydney fans would still get to see it on FTA of course, only Vic club fans and those outside their home market need Foxtel to watch their own club).

I didn't pass judgement, I just explained the reason. Go peddle your pro VFL shit on the Industry Board where your sad little pro Vic is da best mate can suppress or ban anything that doesn't fit into yours or his world view.

They should have one each of these games on a Friday night, why they don't is beyond me. Has there ever been a Showdown or Derby on a Friday night? I can't think of one
i remember eagles played freo on a friday night 10 years ago, by memory it was also heritage round game aswell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rank the non-Victorian derbies in terms of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Back