Autopsy Rd 10 Blues lose by 28 - Couldn't capitalise on opportunities

Remove this Banner Ad

SPS was down as starting on the ball and I reckon that was a challenge thrown at him to step up and he did today. Finally committed his body in. Has been shirking the contest this year. Dow is starting to get the pace of the game and just settle into the game now. Was a bit too manic in first games but is starting to belong now. Respect to Jones for correcting his game he was much better this week. Thought Weitering made a good return and can grow confidence from that. Charlie had a touch of the fumbles tonight. A missed chance today and very frustrating would have been a great scalp and given us some belief after last week. Im gonna call it. Cripps needs to be captain at years end no questions asked. Its time to move on from the Murphy era and give it to someone who can lead for the next 10 years. A fresh start to go with the youth.

Cunningham 5 disposals. What do you do with him? Leave him in for a few weeks or give him the chop? Thats not good enough.

We need small forwards in this team pronto. At the moment we're needing to rely on marking inside 50 to score goals which just isn't sustainable against a decent defense. But we have the contested marking players inside 50 where small forwards could absolutely thrive off.
Rkn we might have one in the vfl.

Lets hope we rookie him

SPS was down as starting on the ball and I reckon that was a challenge thrown at him to step up and he did today. Finally committed his body in. Has been shirking the contest this year. Dow is starting to get the pace of the game and just settle into the game now. Was a bit too manic in first games but is starting to belong now. Respect to Jones for correcting his game he was much better this week. Thought Weitering made a good return and can grow confidence from that. Charlie had a touch of the fumbles tonight. A missed chance today and very frustrating would have been a great scalp and given us some belief after last week. Im gonna call it. Cripps needs to be captain at years end no questions asked. Its time to move on from the Murphy era and give it to someone who can lead for the next 10 years. A fresh start to go with the youth.

Cunningham 5 disposals. What do you do with him? Leave him in for a few weeks or give him the chop? Thats not good enough.

Give Cunners a block of games to work it out. He's far too good for the VFL and can't keep going back without playing 4-6 here.

He was in our top 5 for pressure acts despite very limited game time. He's weird, coaches need to trust him more. Don't pull him up on mistakes like missing a target inside 50 when everyone else does so frequently.

Kerr was fine in only his 2nd AFL game. His goal was cold as ice.
Harry still learning too

It doesn't matter if it was his 2nd game or his 150th, you missed my point. The conditions on the night would cause problems for tall forwards. A slippery footy along with nearly a whole team flooding back. If that happens when we're in a prelim or grand final and we have the 3 tall forwards our small forwards better be absolute guns otherwise we're not going to have much of a chance.

Looking forward to watching this young forward line grow together, don't need a messiah. Just a couple of good young crumbling forwards, and we probably already have one in Picket.

I was at the game and as an old creaking forward I can tell it was a pig of a night to be a big forward.

Typical of the thing that happens to this Carlton forward line - we were kicking to the city end and had a bit of a fast break down the outer wing. A player took a mark on the forward flank (maybe Lamb or Simpson) and I can tell you both Harry and Charlie were one out with their opponents. I was sitting in that pocket and literally stood up and screamed ‘get it in quick !!’

Instead we did a dinky kick inboard, held up play, by which time two extra Geelong players get back ....and then we bombed long to Harry who was outnumbered 3-1.

I screamed in frustration !!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Great response by the boys. Yes, we could have been more polished in front of goals but that’ll come with time. If you take out the first 11 minutes, we’ve matched it with them. On a final note, chris Scott is a flog. He reckons their poor discipline nearly cost them the game. How about you just admit we played well you twat. Hope they do nothing

Give Cunners a block of games to work it out. He's far too good for the VFL and can't keep going back without playing 4-6 here.

He was in our top 5 for pressure acts despite very limited game time. He's weird, coaches need to trust him more. Don't pull him up on mistakes like missing a target inside 50 when everyone else does so frequently.
At his age, with the injuries we have, our position on the ladder etc.... gotta happen.

Time to really find out about this bloke and give him a big opportunity to grasp.

The talent looks like it’s there, up to him now.... hopefully....

Yeah was a poor non call from the ump i thought, and what was up Stewarts arse tonight, throwing the pill into our boys at stoppages, ****in arsehat, the other howler i can recall was the paid mark to the cats player on the HFF who clearly grassed it, some bad decisions, but not why we lost, burned chances time after time caught up and bit us on the arse in the end
The other was ed getting gablett in a tackle, spins him right round (like a record, baby) and the bald one just dropped it. ****in "play on", my arse!

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This times 100.

Happiest I've been about a Carlton game this year. Jones was brilliant. Lachie Plowman played like a top 5 pick (which he is), we were clean and played with synergy and energy.

Despite Weitering's low numbers, I really enjoyed his game tonight for those thinking I have an agenda. That's the role he needs to keep playing, and he will be very good at it.
Thought Weitering looked seriously focused tonight.

You’re too kind in your criticism. Call it for what it is. O’Shea embarrasses me wearing navy blue and as for O’Brien I called out his poor kicking and a few on here didn’t like it.

O’Shea knows himself that he is out of this league. But continues to try. ... Yes, there’s nothing from LOB I’ve seen that’s has me excited. Hopefully I’m wrong cause we can’t afford to stuff up these early picks.

I was at the game. Wright might be down on form but was definitely putting the effort in. For example, watched him sprint 50+ meters on a couple of occasions to spoil contests that team mates were about to be out marked in.

That's fine. No one questions the effort but an experienced player with his talent needs to be doing more

You made a blanket statement. You are defensive of this type of criticism of our young players, so you should show the same respect to the older ones.

NO. The experienced players I expect a lot more. The kids will be inconsistent and make mistakes. Just the way it works

At his age, with the injuries we have, our position on the ladder etc.... gotta happen.

Time to really find out about this bloke and give him a big opportunity to grasp.

The talent looks like it’s there, up to him now.... hopefully....

Yep. Last week he excited me with what he did in close and with his poise and skill. This game he started to add to it. Kid has it all

This is why having 3 tall forward targets is a bad idea. They all had sub par games with only Charlie looking like he could make a real impact.

Once again, when the ball hit the deck up forward we were useless. That's on Lamb and Wright. They don't play the role of pressure forward really well, they don't provide great support for our talls and they rarely impact the scoreboard. Lamb's only been effective when he's given the mission to give one of their rebounding defenders the shits all night.

Pickett can't return soon enough imo.

So the problem isn't the tall forwards then, it is the quality of the small forwards?

NO. The experienced players I expect a lot more. The kids will be inconsistent and make mistakes. Just the way it works
You’ve missed my point. Your initial statement was very black and white when the reality is more grey. You have clarified the statement now, so all good

Wanted a response after last week, and we got it.

Very pleased with the effort - thought we were the better side for most of the evening.

Unfortunately our execution didn’t match the effort, 5.15 is a poor and ultimately very costly return.

Cripps sensational again, well supported by Simmo, Plowman, Ed & Thomas, who were all excellent.

Dow & SPS continue to grow, and we’ve just got to keep getting games into them. Both are outstanding young talents and are tracking beautifully.

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I was really pleased with our effort but unfortunately we lack polish. Plow had his best game for the year and I really hope that continues because he has been horrible all year.

It wasn’t pretty but gees we worked hard last night. Cripps is a natural born leader. His coaching and instruction on the ground is amazing. Never, ever do I see Murph do that.

We really need to work on our finishing but otherwise, very pleased. It was awesome sitting amoungst the Cats supporters and hearing them bag their own players and in some passages, absolute silence :D

Hopefully we can carry this momentum into next week and after the bye and finish strongly.

Can’t wait for the future guys :D

GO BAGGERS!!!

I think a Rowe or ASOS down back is vital to our side. IMO more than just a foot soldier. The way we are at the moment SOS would struggle at times

Agree. Rowe is allowing the defence to regroup. He is taking out the bigger defenders and contributing many 1%ers that he always has. This allows weitering and plowman to start shining again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 10 Blues lose by 28 - Couldn't capitalise on opportunities

Remove this Banner Ad

Back