Preview Rd 15 Geelong V Blues Fri 21 Jun 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has he been named injured then?

That's the conundrum, not on the official injury list unless it's today he inflamed an old injury, yet named as an emergency just in case they change their minds. So what is this mysterious injury? To be fair on Rhys, all things considered, his body is cooked and flair ups of past injury is shading any capacity he has left, just like Hawk.

They get paid well these guys, but I know a few ex players crippled with arthritis and chronic pain. It's hell going into old age with footy war wounds. So i wish Stanley the best.

That's the conundrum, not on the official injury list unless it's today he inflamed an old injury, yet named as an emergency just in case they change their minds. So what is this mysterious injury?
catempire was certain a move to a weekly synopsis would increase accuracy. Shame that.

As per the Clubs team announcement -
Tanner Bruhn will miss 4-6 weeks after sustaining a left wrist fracture, with Rhys Stanley (knee) also missing the clash with Carlton through injury.

Maybe with Stanley it's more about management of an ongoing knee issue or soreness, rather than a specific injury. Could be a reason why he's not on the injury list for this week, as otherwise they may have to keep him on it & listed as "ongoing & maybe available" or "test" each week

I'd like to retire this theory that Blicavs is carrying an injury and that is why his form has been poor in 2024. You do not put an injured player in as your main ruckman. That would not only be stupid but also cruel. Blicavs is 33 years old and can no longer do what he used to do and he is probably in a slump as well. I think the MC realize that Blicavs is no longer the versatile athlete he was and is too slow for the midfield and wing. He can ruck and he can play deep back where he cut his teeth. A Blicavs/SDK ruck combination is not so far-fetched. It may not be effective but both of those players need some shock treatment and this may do it.

Last edited:
As per the Clubs team announcement -
Tanner Bruhn will miss 4-6 weeks after sustaining a left wrist fracture, with Rhys Stanley (knee) also missing the clash with Carlton through injury.

Maybe with Stanley it's more about management of an ongoing knee issue or soreness, rather than a specific injury. Could be a reason why he's not on the injury list for this week, as otherwise they may have to keep him on it & listed as "ongoing & maybe available" or "test" each week

They publish an injury list, and if injured he should be on it, I mean how hard is it to update?
Instead, named as emg = Dicking around. Probably makes a lazarus recovery and gets half a run.

Interested to see Danger play, putting his newly learned style of safer body protection into practice.
Hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I'm preparing to be patient but might miss the beast moves.

Its stupid because blitz is cooked physically so im not sure how more workload helps and this is not a game you want sdk rucking when mckay is up the other end. Surely you play either conway or neale.

This is before you even get me started on picking both henry and rohan, not dropping tuohy and not picking mannagh or another mid.

Yea I don't like this team at all. Probably going to lose no matter what we do but still would prefer something that gives us half a chance and or gives us a look at something else. Humphries or Hardie (preferably both although they are emg so I guess there's hope) just should have come in.

What selection criteria do you want here? Stanley and Conway are both injured.
Checking Wednesday's Injury update, Stanley + Conway are not on the list. Were they injured recently?

Screen Shot 2024-06-21 at 06.23.13.png

So Stanley is out injured, Conway is no where to be seen, Neale is omitted leaving us with Blitz on his pat Malone in the ruck?

But Stanley is named as emergency even though he is listed as injured?

Wtf is going on?
Exactly! It's so weird, or is it just me, this team seems super strange? How many late 'outs' is Scott allowed?

This team makes me wonder if Scott + MC are still attempting to contend? If not, just play the Kittens. Or is this team an effort to make finals for our young guys to develop + gain experience?

Silly, but it's doing my head in.

I suppose one positive, hope it is, Blitz to ruck. He's been run ragged playing eleventy seven different positions this season, at the expense of his own game.

No Stanley or Conway, does SDK play backup ruck to Blitz?

Perhaps we have to keep the faith. . .in Scott + MC we trust.

Dangerfield is back with his new 'bend the knees' technique + retrained bursts. Hopefully, after CBA, he'll play more forward. Need to preserve his hammy.

In the team changes, Stanley is listed as injured being the reason he is out of the team.

Either we have got our comms wires crossed or we have got Krusty the clown heading up our match committee this week.

Definitely, Krusty the clown
Krusty the Clown - Smoking.gif

Last edited:
They publish an injury list, and if injured he should be on it, I mean how hard is it to update?
Instead, named as emg = Dicking around. Probably makes a lazarus recovery and gets half a run.

The injury list is published on Tuesday

Maybe he wasn't injured on Tuesday, unless you want them to predict how he'd pull up from training later in the week?

That's what it sounds more like with the suggestion that he needs to pass a fitness test to play rather than simply being ruled out totally

The step up is pretty high though, no one wants Parfitt in the team but in his last 4 vfl games he's had a 34 and a 40 disposal game.

If Parfitts game isn't translating then whose will?

Parfitt has shown what he can / can't do at senior level. He's a known quantity.

The others aren't.

We have guys gasping and staggering around in the seniors, but steadfastly refuse to even look at the kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the conundrum, not on the official injury list unless it's today he inflamed an old injury, yet named as an emergency just in case they change their minds. So what is this mysterious injury? To be fair on Rhys, all things considered, his body is cooked and flair ups of past injury is shading any capacity he has left, just like Hawk.

They get paid well these guys, but I know a few ex players crippled with arthritis and chronic pain. It's hell going into old age with footy war wounds. So i wish Stanley the best.

So what youre saying is Geelong doesnt accurately report injuries? Nothing new there 😂

Stanley shown as out of the team due to injury, also shown as first emergency. It actually makes sense. The MC are saying he's injured but times are so desperate we may have to bring him into the team at the last minute. 🤓

Parfitt has shown what he can / can't do at senior level. He's a known quantity.

The others aren't.

We have guys gasping and staggering around in the seniors, but steadfastly refuse to even look at the kids.
It is almost like the people that watch these guys day in day out would have a better understanding of where a player is at than we do isn't it

So I do find the BF ruck “discussion” interesting…

Over the course of the year there have been numerous posts about Stanley being terrible and should never play again… just about as many saying Conway is not ready (but great future) and being ragdolled a lot by senior opposition. And that our ruck efforts along with midfield have been B if not C level and cost us games.

Also lots of posts about Blitz being well down and SDK being terrible.

And then this week we have the MC leave out both ruckman who, according to BF are not up to it, and then have Blitz and SDK try a different focus…and BF melts into itself about the stupidity of the MC.

Now I am not here to defend the MC - I have no idea whether this is a good or terrible idea - but I expect they have similar feelings to the BF family in that we can’t win with the “standard” ruck so lets try something new. I honestly don’t see how (for this week) leaving those rucks out have damaged our chance of winning.

And I do think Blitz needs a reset and SDK some time doing something a bit more proactive…So I am ok to take this risk as it either works (and gives us a shot) or doesnt (and we are frankly no worse off?)

Now outside of ruck I am happy to melt with my BF family when it comes to not finding a spot for Knevitt, Mannagh and Wilthchire - any or all of them (2E, Duncan, Rohan!)

The team list this week gave us the perfect take on the club's approach to ruckmen: Stanley - out injured. Stanley - emergency. Conway - not listed (but not injury list either).

Anyway, here's my simplistic take on it.

If Toby's fit, he plays. Doesn't matter if he gets smashed, is competitive, or dominates. Getting him to 50 games should be THE priority.

If he's not fit, then Stanley plays as the stop-gap and we accept it's probably not going to be pretty either.

So what I'm scratching my head over is that Toby's not on the injury list but nowhere to be seen. Surely he plays if he's OK to? If Pittonet is in, at least we have someone competing...if he isn't in, then maybe just for once we have the chance to break-even or get a slight edge in the middle, which we desperately need.

It is almost like the people that watch these guys day in day out would have a better understanding of where a player is at than we do isn't it

Yeah.

There's a big gap it seems, and one wonders how that'll be closed by the time we do a roll call for Round 1, 2025, and find a few old timers are missing.

Not much left of 2024.

Totally relying on Blitz (hope he had a very restful break!). Bit risky to have dropped Neale.

Tuohy back not ideal IMO but lifts for Blues match.

Glad to see Hardie and Humphries as emergencies - good recognition of sustained form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back