Autopsy Rd 15 v Collingwood Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Menzel had a quiet night but I was watching him closely and at least 3 times we didnt honour his lead when it was clearly our best option inside 50.
I recall a specific moment, Menzel was all alone 30-40m out very open forward line and Robbo missed him completely i couldnt believe it was so obvious and Robbo had time, he ended up doing a little kick to the flank, nearly ripped my hair out, so frustrating.

This is where we lost it tonight and on many occassions we just miss so much opportunities due to lack of class and awareness.

Yep, you can't teach a dog new tricks.

This is one of my big knocks on the guy, at times he forgets that he has team-mates who may be in better positions and makes the wrong decision.

Tonight he did it right with his dish off inside to Gibbs who goaled, had he taken that shot from the boundary line and more than likely missed, he would of been even more heavily criticised.

I'm not sure if this fault can be rectified or we just have to accept that it's going to happen with him.

People are being a bit harsh on our disposal, we are 4th for least turnovers our problem is when they occur we are the worst side in the comp at defending them. This alone is the difference between us being 4-10 instead of 9-5 or better.

Our problem is since scotland, duigan & laider have moved on there is no smart player across halfback who has the ability to read the play and stop some of these rebound goals, we have a lot of players who just run back not really sure what to do other then chase their man.

Players such as Walker, Henderson & Thomas are being played out of position.

- Henderson is a defender not a forward and even if we persist with sam Rowe I see no reason why we can't put hendo back as well to be that 3rd tall who reads the play and can come off his lesser opponent, if we become too tall he can always be used as a swingman then to go forward and hurt the opposition.

- Walker was our most accurate set shot player a few years ago and whats one thing we keep doing when we have the momentum in close games? Missing easy shots at goal and having a goal scored against us. Put the guy back on a HFF please.

- Thomas needs to get into the midfield rotation, if his output remains the same then we are idiots for trading a crumber for a hff tagger. Our pace in the midfield is killing us and him stepping up would help greatly.

The other problem is indeed the pace of our mids, Mclean/Curnow are not fast enough and easily burnt off by the more express paced opponents and its todays rebound to empty forwardline style footy they can't continue to get a gig, the sooner cripps & Graham go past these guys the better.

Out: Curnow, Mclean, Armfield
In: Bucks, Cripps, Graham (Well aware of injuries preventing this)

At seasons end we should be looking to inject speed through the middle and a KP forward to replace Waite + a kicking coach for Casboult

Yep, you can't teach a dog new tricks.

This is one of my big knocks on the guy, at times he forgets that he has team-mates who may be in better positions and makes the wrong decision.

Tonight he did it right with his dish off inside to Gibbs who goaled, had he taken that shot from the boundary line and more than likely missed, he would of been even more heavily criticised.

I'm not sure if this fault can be rectified or we just have to accept that it's going to happen with him.
It's going to happen with him, he's never going to have elite composure, vision and decision making ability but i think at stages this year he's actually shown improvement in this area. As JaB mentioned before he still brings a lot of good qualities to the table still.

I thought tonight was a pretty accurate reflection of where we're at in a lot of ways .. And perhaps surprisingly, I feel better than I have most of the year.

I think because a lot of what I've been talking about seemed glaring tonight so surely others see it as well! But there were also genuine positives.

I've wanted the 3 big 'W's gone a while now. Waite's out... Warnock and Walker to follow. Collingwood targeted Warnock bc they know how weak he is both in the contest and as an athlete. Cannot believe he is in an AFL team... Walker -- well he just continues to give us nothing and I really can't see what benefit he is. He's always had weaknesses but you used to be able to rely on his hands at least.. He's lost that this year as well (fumbling, dropping marks), which makes him such a costly player. Really think it's time to go for a rest at the very least.

We can't continue to play so many poorly skilled, and dumb (as in lack the nouse) players. It's amazing when you sit there and a player has the ball and inside you're thinking (or outside you're shouting!) "oh god, don't kick it, give it to someone else" and before you know it, you've said it two or three times in a row before the ball finally reaches someone you have faith in! Shouldn't be that way!

For that and other reasons, I think we'll be a better side next year without Robbo and McLean as well. Teams play through their opponents. Anyone who praises Robbo's hardness is kidding themselves. A hard man worth talking about, utilises it (eg. they don't miss easy tackles (e.g Hickmott)).

To me it's not that drastic anymore. If we can have a similar off-season to last year, I think we're quite capable of replacing 4-5 of our current team and being competitive and enjoyable next year. I feel like the attitude is improving, which means the coaches and staff are doing a fantastic job. It's a MONUMENTAL task.

I think a lot of my optimism is based on Yarran and Gibbs.

I am amazed at the footballer Gibbs is becoming. But more than that, I feel like I'm watching a boy grow into a man and even better, a leader! He's just amazing now. I wonder if Judd's absence has allowed him the opportunity to grow. It wouldn't surprise me.

Yarran also, is turning into a leader. This is what we need.

In terms of turnover kings (having cut Waite, Walker, Warnock, McLean and Robbo already!) ... I think Carrots and Curnow survive for now. Curnow just really needs to stick to playing within his limitations, but he offers value in his defensive, inside play. Carrots has suffered injuries and let's not forget (even though it was a while ago now - he hasn't had a good run since), he was killing it before Hooker injured him. With a full preseason I reckon he's got another good year or two in him - whether he gets through without breaking down again is another thing... Plus, they're both professionals.

I reckon we've got some cracking matches coming up against the Pies over the next few years. Really need to nail this off-season though.

Last edited:

Mick looks rather relaxed...

tumblr_mq2p5avMdJ1rmhw6co1_1280.jpg

"Suddenly you become euphoric, docile. You accept your fate."

"Blank faces, calm as Hindu cows."

Connolly, Robinson, Ralph and Stevens must be gutted.

Warnock's work rate all season long has been great. Battles hard with little respite

It may be so that he is run ragged and puffed, but we need more than that. He needs to have a presence, to take marks, to stop opponents taking marks etc etc ... He does none of that. He is basically everything that I can't stand in this old-school and out-dated idea of what a ruckman should be ... Sure he's tall, gets his share of hitouts, but does next-to-nothing else.. So costly. Zac Clarke or Aaron Sandilands .. Zac Clarke every day of the week.

Menzel had a quiet night but I was watching him closely and at least 3 times we didnt honour his lead when it was clearly our best option inside 50.
I recall a specific moment, Menzel was all alone 30-40m out very open forward line and Robbo missed him completely i couldnt believe it was so obvious and Robbo had time, he ended up doing a little kick to the flank, nearly ripped my hair out, so frustrating.

This is where we lost it tonight and on many occassions we just miss so much opportunities due to lack of class and awareness.

I don't understand why he was in defence most of the game.

It's going to happen with him, he's never going to have elite composure, vision and decision making ability but i think at stages this year he's actually shown improvement in this area. As JaB mentioned before he still brings a lot of good qualities to the table still.

Ok. I think I know what "qualities" you're referring to, but can you tell me how they're helping the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone provide me with a rational explanation as to how we could allow our most creative forward, a forward with that rare ability to unlock the most miserly and congested defences, and an absolute Blues fans favourite, to move to another club this last preseason ?

Can someone provide me with a rational explanation as to how we could allow our most creative forward, a forward with that rare ability to unlock the most miserly and congested defences, and an absolute Blues fans favourite, to move to another club this last preseason ?
$$$$$

Ok, so we couldn't afford Eddie, but we could afford the more expensive Thomas, who was under a significant injury cloud !

Who said we couldn't afford him? He just isn't and has no potential to ever be worth the money Adelaide offered him.

I'm feeling sick now.

I must be having an allergic reaction to Bullshit because that's all Carlton has served up this year.

BOG
5- Yarran
4- Judd
3- Mitch
2- Gibbs
1- Hendersen

WOG
5- McLean
4- Daisy
3- Arnfield
2- Menzel
1- Jamieson

I don't like the sound of this guy definitely delist need to give Armfield a go.

Also jamo did a good job on Cloke really curbed his influence it's hard with so many F50 entries for the opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 15 v Collingwood Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back