Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just here for the ruck melts

Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

too late

Glad Lawson is in but wtf is this disillusioned zero sense strategy of having SDK in the ruck? when we have Conway and stanley fit?

Makes zero sense. TDK had a career game against us last week, Sam was horribly beaten and IS NOT A RUCK. It was a terrible weakness last week for us and we choose the same strategy? Tanking vibes.

Lastly, unlike this board I see no future with knevitt and his lack of intensity and inability to burst free from congestion for a midfielder (his one move is to absorb tackles, release a handball in a tackle). Let’s hope he proves me wrong.

For those unfamiliar with Humphries can observers give some sort of summary and perhaps a likeness to a previous or current player?
It's a great question and I'm struggling to think of a like for like right now. I've only watched him a couple of games.

A less assertive and prolific Nic Martin with better foot skills? I don't know. I need to think on it. Hopefully someone nails the player comparison in the mean time.

Happy with the ins - the Humphries debut plus the return of Knevitt will be good fun. Essendon struggled against the Weags missing Reid, Kelly and Gaff last week - I think they're a very hard-working, honest but mediocre team. Will be a good test.

I thought Mannagh or Hardie might also get a crack. And I liked SDK in the ruck last week, but would hope to see some commentary from the club around the ruck spot soon (is Conway too unfit to be 1st ruck in 2024? is SDK in the ruck a long-term plan?)

No i cant agree with that

What O Henry needs is a powerhouse team for example Haw in the 80s , what was it , 7 GFs in a row , you had Brereton at CHF and Dunstall at FF , yes O Henry can be the 3rd tall , and he would be a handy player in a powerhouse team like that

But in an ordinary side which Geel have been the last 6-7 games , then O Henry struggles , especially 50-50 contests - and he is slow

Geel have got 2 young players to be excited about Holmes and Dempsey , they are both quick and good players - if they play their career at Geel they are 200 game players , they are the only 2 certainties at present of the young players who will very good players no question
Likewise, I disagree. OH is not slow. We are not a current powerhouse team, so why expect any more from the 3rd tall that he is? He has been very creative near goals, accurate, and an exciting albeit inconsistent mark. He is injured. Picking him out in the midst of our malaise is harsh, AND he is OUT this week, injured, not dropped, not managed

Thought you were being melodramatic with the talk of Mannagh being traded but now I’m not so sure. Disappointing he can’t get a game in front of Tuohy who can’t run a game out these days.

The longer it goes im pretty certain he will be on someone elses list next year-we will see.

As for tuohy i dont know why hes been kept in, we need speed and spread and hes the opposite.

Surely if Stengle goes Mannagh is straight in for his spot?

I think it will be too late to recover the situation by then (if stengle even goes).

SDK in the ruck.

Spare me.

He dropped his head in the first 2 mins V the Blues when he as beaten at the centre bounce and then when TDK pulled a Tomma and kicked that first goal.

I get he's out of form and low on confidence but rucking V Goldy and Draper aint gonna help him.

I get Stanley is shot - but a shot Stanley at least knows the tricks.

I just dont get it

GO Catters

Zuthrie says "Hi"
View attachment 2031266

View attachment 2031267

Yes, Zuthrie was 19yo when drafted in 2017 + now 25yo, 188cm + 84kg
SDK is 23yo, 204cm + 87kg. Unfair to compare to his brother, who is 24yo, 204cm, yet 16kg heavier, has two years more preseason + 18 months natural development.

To quote an experienced + knowledgeable poster:

Considering SDK's horrendous facial injury, which I believe has hindered his form + development, he needs two years for further development. If he is to remain as a backup ruck, we're all aware rucks need a longer time to develop, consequently, he would be considered three years behind another ruck aged 23yo.
It is like taking a Golden Retriever to Belgian Malinois training

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SDK in the ruck.

Spare me.

He dropped his head in the first 2 mins V the Blues when he as beaten at the centre bounce and then when TDK pulled a Tomma and kicked that first goal.

I get he's out of form and low on confidence but rucking V Goldy and Draper aint gonna help him.

I just dont get it

GO Catters

Unless Scotty's up to his 2019 QF tricks by not picking a ruckman because it's going to be wet? I also wonder whether Essendon will leave out one of their talls out as a result of the forecast and bring in a small?

I think it will be too late to recover the situation by then (if stengle even goes).
I would have no ill will to any mature age player going for opportunity or money. You don't get many chances at a big contract in the AFL when you get into it late. They all deserve to chase that dream and maybe financial reward for years of effort.

SDK in the ruck.

Spare me.

I just dont get it

GO Catters
The only rationale is they are thinking long term of playing him in that spot. But he does seem very much a confidence player and you wonder what will happen if Goldy gets on top early
I'm happy enough for them to give it a look at over the remainder of the year

It's a great question and I'm struggling to think of a like for like right now. I've only watched him a couple of games.

A less assertive and prolific Nic Martin with better foot skills? I don't know. I need to think on it. Hopefully someone nails the player comparison in the mean time.
Mackie? Zac Williams?
For a slim frame he competes and contests well, can defend but then has a nice kick (silky skills) on the rebound.

SDK in the ruck.

Spare me.

I just dont get it

GO Catters

His brother mauled him, and his instant reaction was, as you said, to drop his head. He was bullied and intimidated.

He came back a bit in the second half, and I wouldn't mind betting that was the result of being told to 'stop being insipid and get back out there and show some bloody fight'.

He's going to get monstered by Goldie and Draper.

I don't get it either.

SDK in the ruck.

Spare me.

I just dont get it

GO Catters
I think recency bias from the Carlton game has clouded people’s view of just how bad Stanley has been this year. He was absolutely putrid against the Swans. How many times has he been subbed for performance in the last 18 months? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Stanley shouldn’t go anywhere near the seniors for the rest of his career.
Yes Sam got a hiding, but he was also one of the highest rated players on the ground. Against his brother, who is older, more experienced and one of the form players of the comp.
I thought there was plenty of cause for optimism.
The current mix isn’t working, Stanley is cooked, Blicavs has been horrible, Conway is still too young to shoulder lead ruck role. I’d be happy to Sam in there for the rest of year.

I think recency bias from the Carlton game has clouded people’s view of just how bad Stanley has been this year. He was absolutely putrid against the Swans. How many times has he been subbed for performance in the last 18 months? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Stanley shouldn’t go anywhere near the seniors for the rest of his career.
Yes Sam got a hiding, but he was also one of the highest rated players on the ground. Against his brother, who is older, more experienced and one of the form players of the comp.
I thought there was plenty of cause for optimism.
The current mix isn’t working, Stanley is cooked, Blicavs has been horrible, Conway is still too young to shoulder lead ruck role. I’d be happy to Sam in there for the rest of year.
I wouldn't say I'd be happy, I'd be resigned to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back