Preview RD 16 Geelong v Essendon Sat Jun 29 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bring in someone, anyone, just do something. And while they're at it, play Danger one-out deep forward. Everyone else get the hell out. Give Dons something to think about. Sure, our midfield stinks, but what's the point of wasting Danger in there if there's no potency up forward. He'd kick 6 (or 5.1) and the boos would be huge.
Pagan's paddock

Bring in someone, anyone, just do something. And while they're at it, play Danger one-out deep forward. Everyone else get the hell out. Give Dons something to think about. Sure, our midfield stinks, but what's the point of wasting Danger in there if there's no potency up forward. He'd kick 6 (or 5.1) and the boos would be huge.
And have the smalls running past who can kick straight

It's funny, but one player who seems to have somewhat escaped potential omittion this week is Rohan

No doubting the impact he had in the third quarter - 6 disposals, 1 goal, 2 score involvements & a tackle to go with 38 fantasy points (for those interested in those things)

Then in the fourth quarter it was donuts all round with not a single stat recorded in the last, and considering he ended up playing 54 minutes for the match, that's a fair bit of time on the ground in the last without hitting the stat sheet

Anyone who's seen me post over recent years knows I'm a fan of Rohan brings to the team, and when he's "on", there's not many better at bringing the pressure or presence he's capable of, but the fourth quarter isn't good enough - should he also be in the firing line for tomorrow night?

Following on from that, IF a few of our recent losses had instead been close wins, I think we'd all "accept" the playing of the number of veterans we have been

BUT as they haven't been wins, I'd rather we start to see changes with the number of veterans in the team - not meaning we just dump them all, rather do we favour Knevitt on the wing instead of Tuohy as an example. And as we've seen Tuohy have impact in games but necessarily across 4 quarters, does he shift to the sub role & come on when the heat is out so that he doesn't give up the chase in the last?

We've obviously lost Hawkins after last week, but if the only other changes are say Mullin out and say Clark, it'd be disappointing while keeping the likes of Rohan & Tuohy around - I'd like to only see at most, one of the latter two named in the 23 come tomorrow night, and be happy if it's neither

(just realised I left a word or two off the end of the last sentence)
Good post. I had exactly the same thought after the game. No doubt he added value in third but was that because he was fresh?

Given we were back in game somewhat into final qtr he needed to keep that energy and went missing. He got moved forward as I assume he couldn’t keep going on the wing.

Sub is tough but I think the questions are real. I suspect club has same questions but will want to get final answer before putting him out. Indeed I wonder whether they actually go the other way and then put him in for a full game to see how that looks in hawks absence. Get the sense he still has a little rope to become what he has been.

2E I have expressed my view plenty of time. Accept for now that club doesn’t see it same way I do

Beat Essendon with Patrick back in the side and suddenly Geelongs season is right back on the rails

Id prefer Rohan to O Henry however posters are not incorrect when they say he did absolutely nothing in the last qtr against Carlton , after he gave us a spurt in the 3rd qtr

Geel need to win , the club is allways bigger than the individual , i dont know what word you would use to describe it , but im glad that Hawkins isnt playing , Geel have been playing 1 man short with him in the side

You look at other top notch players Glen Jakovich he quit half way through a year because he was finished , Gary Dempsey Brownlow medalist at Foot then went to North , b/f their , and 10 games into a year he quit , because he was finished

And Hawkins is finished , take no joy from his injury , but i think he should have retired earlier this year

Neale in this week will make a difference. All he has to do is try to get to the drop of the ball and make a contest. Essendon's backline is starting to click with Ridley back in the team. Last week Ridley had 25 disposals and 7 marks, Laverde 28 and 11, and Redman 22 and 10. Geelong won't win if they put up numbers like that again. Geelong is not going to match Essendon's midfield so we have to be better around the ground.

Last edited:
It's funny, but one player who seems to have somewhat escaped potential omittion this week is Rohan

No doubting the impact he had in the third quarter - 6 disposals, 1 goal, 2 score involvements & a tackle to go with 38 fantasy points (for those interested in those things)

Then in the fourth quarter it was donuts all round with not a single stat recorded in the last, and considering he ended up playing 54 minutes for the match, that's a fair bit of time on the ground in the last without hitting the stat sheet

Anyone who's seen me post over recent years knows I'm a fan of Rohan brings to the team, and when he's "on", there's not many better at bringing the pressure or presence he's capable of, but the fourth quarter isn't good enough - should he also be in the firing line for tomorrow night?

Following on from that, IF a few of our recent losses had instead been close wins, I think we'd all "accept" the playing of the number of veterans we have been

BUT as they haven't been wins, I'd rather we start to see changes with the number of veterans in the team - not meaning we just dump them all, rather do we favour Knevitt on the wing instead of Tuohy as an example. And as we've seen Tuohy have impact in games but necessarily across 4 quarters, does he shift to the sub role & come on when the heat is out so that he doesn't give up the chase in the last?

We've obviously lost Hawkins after last week, but if the only other changes are say Mullin out and say Clark, it'd be disappointing while keeping the likes of Rohan & Tuohy around - I'd like to only see at most, one of the latter two named in the 23 come tomorrow night, and be happy if it's neither

A fit Rohan makes us so much better but I think I'm ready to concede he's basically done

Thanks for the good times chuckie

This. Make some big changes to the line up. Make a point of it that no ones position is safe.

That said, lets leave Danger in midfield and force Cameron one out at FF. Lets Pagans paddock with Jezza and he might kick 10.

A fit Rohan makes us so much better but I think I'm ready to concede he's basically done

Thanks for the good times chuckie

A fit & firing Rohan is a weapon

An absent Rohan is a liability

I kinda want to see what he can bring if given 4 quarters, but not sure he should be rewarded with that opportunity this week after his disappearing act last week

Rohan is a weapon and could hurt Jezza 😂.

Kent Kingsley once kicked se7en vs the bombers .

Ollie.jezza,Rohan ,..
Please enter your best Kent Kingsley...🍒

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lionel richie hello GIF

Midweek tackle saying we will continue with SDK in ruck this week. Not sure how true it is but not playing Conway is just dumb

To be honest the single biggest problem we've got that has no realistic solution is the ruck. A fit Danger, Guthrie and Bruhn and the midfield could be at least ok. No such hope in the ruck. Stanley's completely cooked. Conway's not physically competitive yet.

I thought Blicavs was the best option come finals. Hopefully compete in the ruck battle but have his follow up and running power as a weapon.

I sort of respect the coaching staff for experimenting with SDK and trying something different.

Rohan needs the full game, been sub it seems like a whole month🤷‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back