Autopsy Rd 17 Blues lose to the bottom side after awful first half

Who played well in Round 17 vs the Crows?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

pouring-pile-of-sugar-sugar-pour-salt_3302047.jpg
OMG. Thy is Pablo Escobar

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

My Dad who is one eyed Carlton has seen every flag live since 68 and used to go to every single game when we lived in Melbourne including practice matches has had a major stroke tonight and may not make it through the next 48 hours 😭 Stuff you Blues you couldn’t let him enjoy one last win. 😡 I was hoping he would get to see one more flag, doesn’t look like it now 🙁

Sorry to read this KHB, my thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.

You have the mentality of a Stkilda or Melbourne supporter of the last 45 years. I refuse to accept losing as a habit.

How has the last 20 odd years worked out for you then? You must be a ripper at parties..

I completely agree Teague is not a premiership coach.... he hasn’t even coached a full season....!!!

FFS the sack the coach brigade is already here.
I like to look at the differences between coaches that have successfully moved their teams up the ladder and coaches that have not. Fagan of the BL is a standout.
Wonder how he would react to our constantly giving 5 goal runs to the opposition?
This is the most damning aspect of Teague’s coaching.
Been a huge problem all year, has not been able to address it.

Just seems so long since we had a coach the players respected, loved but also feared, who knew wtf he was doing!

From 12 months ago, I feel we are heading in the right direction

We have reduced, in fact eliminated, the floggings, like the one against the Cats late last year

We have become more competitive, not only in stats, but to the eye

Point swings/momentum is the major concern (this stops with Teague), hand in hand with our lack of speed/footskills.

I am confident we make finals next year, what happens after that, will become clearer throughout next year

👍 I hope we are. In some ways we have definitely become more competitive, but unfortunately, other areas of concern have developed (including the momentum swings) that offset a lot of that progress. I agree with you that we have most of the pieces in place and that we need just a few pieces to complete the puzzle in terms of the playing list. The players are a major part of what is required, obviously, but they're also not the only part.

Psychology/belief/culture are equally important. One without the other will get a team nowhere (could possibly insert GWS in here). From this season, I think it would be extremely difficult to argue that the latter is progressing as we would like - be that regarding individual performances or the nature of the team's performance. How we minimise the risk of it being an ongoing issue, I don't know, though I've put my ideas out there (I think we all agree that we need the right type of players added from outside). 2021 will certainly be interesting - if it's more of the same, then it will become as big of a worry as any time in the past 20 years, imo.

Here are few pointers I made from the game

- Arresting the opposition's momentum: Why not just hold a bit of possession? for the last decade we have consistently been smashed in uncontested possession.. We all know it ain't effort, it's clearly systematic.. Giants were effectively able to stay in the contest due their ability to keep possession when we had momentum.

- Set shot kicking: How many times did we mark it 40 meters out and miss a set shot? It's been a trend and it's been hurting us all year. Harry's set shot kicking tonight was woeful.

How crucial was Riccardi's set shot goal from 50?

- Leadership from the more experienced players: Cripps, Docherty, Simpson, Betts, McGovern were very poor. Murphy being the exception, however he isn't doing enough on the outside to hurt the opposition, some of his F50 decision making

- Selection Consistency: Why is the MC philosophy is to give the player a couple of games when selected to 'make up' for a poor performance?
De Koning deserved to keep his spot this week, why was Polsen and Dow given 'another chance' for a poor game last week? Polsen had a good game, but I don't think he deserved his spot.

- Lack of X-factor around F50/Lack of Goal Kicking mids: Apart from Walsh and Martin, and to a lesser extent Newnes, where else are the goals coming from? Most of our players drop their bananas at the thought of kicking a goal

- Toughness: Mumford must have the best w/l record against Carlton, he again targeted Cripps tonight, the guy can't move but can clearly throw a knee. Where is our bloke to shepherd or put fear into the opposition

Also and if Cripps plays for one more f**ing free kick, I'm going to bust a vein

Repost from September 3rd.

Replace Cottrell with 'Selection Consistency'

I completely agree Teague is not a premiership coach.... he hasn’t even coached a full season....!!!

FFS the sack the coach brigade is already here.
you were expecting resilience and calm?

You have got to be joking Gab.

John Barker has been line coaching for 12-15 years and his troops have failed in every single one of them. At Hawthorn, at St Kilda, and for a decade at Carlton. Every line he has been put in charge of he has failed with. He has even managed to stuff Crippa up now(lol).

Behind Adrian Dodoro, he is the longest tenured utter failure in the AFL. But, like Adrian, he has made friends where it counts.

As for Murphy, i find it astounding how anyone can still think having a leader who plays scared every single week is acceptable. I really cant understand it.

Sometimes the plainly obvious should not be ignored.
Don't ask me why but I was thinking of the Dodo last week.

Was actually thinking how a club that hasn't pulled on footy boots in sepetmeber for 20 years can still possibly have such a long serving list manager?

My Dad who is one eyed Carlton has seen every flag live since 68 and used to go to every single game when we lived in Melbourne including practice matches has had a major stroke tonight and may not make it through the next 48 hours Stuff you Blues you couldn’t let him enjoy one last win. I was hoping he would get to see one more flag, doesn’t look like it now
Really hope he pulls through.

My thoughts are with your family.

I was hoping you were joking. Seems like it's not the case.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just some thoughts here...

1. Judging ‘where we are’ vs ‘where we should be/where we predicted’ is only useful to decide whether we should be frustrated, or the degree to which we should be frustrated. Otheriwse it is only timing. The fact some ‘knew’ preseason we would be here and others had different views....is totally irrelevant to anything other than emotion.
2. So we ARE here. Missing finals. Looking back is only useful (other than for cathartic reasons) in order to learn and do better in the future.
3. So what have we learnt or already knew?
- the backline needs pace
- fhe midfield needs pace and skill
- the game plan needs adjusting go incorporate a second gear because the high press leaks like a sieve when we lose the contest.
- we need more ‘difference’ players.
4. What are the options to fill the gaps?
(A) from within (list)
(B) from draft
(C) trade / FA

We have plenty of cap space to go after some options in C. The Internal options for the midfield are Cunners, Martin, Gibbons and Fisher. We would do well to trial all as mids extensively in the preseason.

The main hopes I have are (a) rhat our coaching group realise they really hurt the development of the list in hindsight. They chased finals at the expense of improving Cunners etc. You can see why. Bolton lost his job doing that same thing. But it was an error. So let’s rethink next year and make sure we improve our long term ability. (B) I hope we are very aggressive at the trade table. I hope that aggression allows them to cut more older players. I can’t see any role for Betts next year.

Anyway, my main thing is for us to hope we learn and change and do better. No point getting too worked up really.

And besides: good chance you’ll be enjoying my preseason posts soon!

😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sheer annoying predictability of our play is so god damn annoying. Imagine if you were an opposition coach planning a winning strategy against us .... how easy would it be.
You already know what we are going to do with certainty.
kick ins
centre bounces
when the ball is in SPSs hands
Simpson’s hands

I would like to think that hub life has finally been too much etc etc but the lack of how a lot of our players are coming on compared to other teams, the fact we play players week in week out with no accountability, Teague showing favouritism which is always a coach killer and let’s be honest instead of being ruthless ... a premiership side staple .... all we do as a team is audition for the Care Bears as a team collectively most weeks.

Can someone please explain how we went from playing champagne football, our peak, which was against WB, to showing nothing close to that for the rest of the season?
Maybe the WB game is the outlier and the rest of the season is us --

The thing is ... year after year after year some team makes a leap ..
BL last year, Power this year .... every ****ing year it’s someone .... just not us .... and that is a real problem.

We have the talent now but getting them to that killer instinct mode has been missing for twenty years.

So there’s a few.

Point is, we had more players with 15 games than any other side.

Where other sides were managing players during short blocks of games, we kept ours out on the park.

Don’t think the players have been managed particularly well.
That’s what I thought of after th3 game too .... Murphy and Simpson played all the games ... surely a few more players should have been managed.

we looked exhausted today

Holding off the Cats?
We let them kick 5 goals 4 in the last quarter to our solitary point. You cannot seriously use that as an example of our mental strength.
We should have killed both Essendon and the Swans.

How about giving sh*t teams 7 goal starts? It is absolutely mental weakness.

We beat the Cats though yeah?

Just like Swans and Essendon, just like coming from behind against the Dockers

I have already highlighted the concern in point swings, it's not mental weakness, it's gameplan and tactics, it's a coaching issue

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 17 Blues lose to the bottom side after awful first half

Back