Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Careful with that comment Arrow (even though I agree with you) the usual suspects will be at you
Gonna get mad in here shortly... all the people who just come on to post crap bagging out the coaches and/or certain players will be out in force tonight.

Teague tactics were solid tonight, just poor by foot
Cut it out, Arrow.
He had a plus one at the contest all game, allowing the second best interceptor in the comp to do as he pleased.

Unless by “solid”, you mean “incompetent”

Will Setterfield.

watching him live. Plays with no passion. No aggression, no urgency, no skill, no poise. Makes a mockery of the emblem on the front of his guernsey.

just unbelievable he keeps getting a game.

A reflection of our shambolic match comittee which of course decide to play him on a wing...

everything that is wrong with this club in 2021

I thought we tried out guts out today. You cannot question their effort over the four quarters.

The coaching staff have sorted out our defensive structures. Huge effort by that unit. Cannot question their games tonight.

Skills were obviously not great, but because we were so undersized, we were forced to attempt pretty risky kicks.

I still think a number of players look injured/sore. Martin, Cripps and Williams are clearly playing through pain.

As long as we bring that effort against a top 4 side, I can't complain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Down on the KPP and undersized across the entire list. List management needs to address quickly & well.
Defended well & showed some good intent.
Woeful kicking for goal.
Weiters & Walsh supreme with the lot.

A few non-performers in Setters, Martin, Fogarty and down performances from others compared to recent weeks.
Newnes does some ok stuff but too many ordinary things, time to move on.

Inaccurate kciking is a bit of a morale destroyer - thought most of the team played really well - Martin and Williams are very disapointing to me tbh - makes me kinda sad. Still losing both Jones and Levi was a cruel blow. Big congrats to TDK's effort.

No need to talk of Walsh or Weitering - super stars and Saad played another blinder.

For me more positives than negatives- just underlines the importance of Honey/Philp/Cuningham as future better mid/forwards - we are carrying 2-3 soft passengers atm and you cant really afford to do that.

Onwards and upwards!

The headline of the autopsy says it all. Severely undermanned we braved it out for long period but without a focal point upfront and the skills not good enough to hit targets we couldn’t hit the scoreboard to trouble a strong team like the Cats. Whilst Charlie and Gov (and Oscar) are out I really feel there is no choice but to play Levi as the second tall forward. I’m really happy with how Stocker is coming along but Setterfield is a big worry and should go back to the 2s for the rest of the year to find some form.

Brisbane smacking the crap out of St Kilda tonight would improve my mood no end.

But again, i have to mention how special Sam Walsh is. He deserves at least 2 Brownlow votes from this game.

It's a cliche but he is a generational talent.

Firstly, WTF did not give Sam Walsh a vote? How does he only end up with 91% from 21 votes. Clearly BOG. Whomever didn’t vote for him, moron.

Second, WTAF do Williamson and Setterfield continue to get games.
Surely we have other players that need game time.

I'm also disappointed in the MC (again...) for disrespectful selection and a lack of overall integrity.

We lose Levi Casboult pre-game so Setterfield is chosen? Why? On the back of no matches in 4 weeks and a dodgy hand.

That's disrespectful to guys who have been toiling away like Honey, Ramsay and Kemp. Let alone Fisher who is infinitely more talented and useful on the wing.

Will. Setterfield. Is. Not. An. Automatic. Selection.

No one can blame Teague for that loss. Feel like the defensive aspect of our game has been completely transformed for the better. Much better pressure and the extra numbers in the back have kept our opposition to low scores the last 3 weeks. We were clearly undersized yet still had a high score efficiency once inside 50 - we just couldn't kick it through the big sticks. Our lack of polish was the difference. Also not using it as an excuse but we also have a major injury list. Doch, Curnow, Gov, Pitt, Fisher, Murph, Jones, Cas, Marchy, Cunningham and Gibbons. Id guess at least 7 to 8 are in.our best 22 and will make a huge impact especially adding a bit of height.

Would just like to mention there's a difference between effort and mental weakness. Effort was absolutely there, but the mental toughness was not. The game was there for the taking and we failed the mental challenge. Just as we did against the Dees and the Lions and West Coast and Sydney.

I'm speechless if you think this loss had anything to do with mental toughness. Try putting things into perspective rather than reading from a rehearsed script after a loss.

Not much to say about this one really
We won’t beat anyone with only 38 inside 50s and kicking so inaccurately
Walsh and Weitering outstanding
A few other solid contributors but not too many
Setterfield no intensity and really disappointing. Shouldn’t have played over a Honey type who is putting his hand up in the 2s

Like the last two matches, we didn't learn much more about where we are at. Poor skill execution let us down, but we controlled the game in patches but were ultimately killed by turnovers but a more polished outfit. The late outs were tough, but we are entirely predictable at this point.

Hopefully the review takes a hard look at the root-cause of some of these injuries that seem to particularly impact our tall stocks, and our list management strategy to ensure we're not at this point again where there is only 3 fit talls available. There is always a degree of "luck" in these things, but there is also understanding what preventative physical development can be done to mitigate at least some of the risk (or damage).

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Back