Autopsy Rd 17 Blues undersized and overwhelmed

Who played well for Carlton in Round 17?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Levi Casboult. Does. Not. Help. With. Structure.

It's a myth, and too many people have bought into it.

I hate to be critical of him because he should not have got this far in the AFL system (combination of luck and hard work), but he is ******* cooked and useless as an AFL footballer in 2021.

What other options did we have today...might be cooked now but invaluable the last few years... Ruck forward and back

Lots to unpack here.

Anyone saying Levi was a big out or "structure" obviously hasn't watched Levi in 2021. He is of zero use. Jones out huge issue.

We definitely need an effective second key forward. If only we had one coming back to reserves next weekend? Add a second target, see how much easier we score and then Betts, Owies etc suddenly have more space. Add a decent second ruck so the resting ruck can be a tall target up forward and suddenly Silvagni as a floater is very appealing. Our forward line suffers from quality cattle on the park. Keeping ineffective plodders like Levi however is not the answer.

I thought the effort was A+. This was a Geelong side without key players and not at their best, but you cannot question the resolve of our players. That has been questioned this year and it is great to see the tackling, blocking etc improve. I actually think taking out ineffective tall timber like Levi has really helped because he doesn't take marks anyway and at least with a small in we get more chase. Oddly with Jones out Levi would have been useful in defence today - he is still really good at a shut down role.

I have been impressed by the pattern running, blocking etc of our kids since Barker left. SPS, Dow and Kennedy have shown they are all worth persisting with and may become solid B graders that form part of an effective 8-10 person midfield rotation (hopefully Dow and SPS have a higher ceiling). I really rate Carrol in the reserves and think we need one more A grade mid and another B+ at the draft/trade/free agency.

Fox Footy today was very critical of Teague tactically, leaving the spare man back. It was clear he was playing not to win, but to keep the score close and avoid a blow out. Can you blame him given the review? Anyone who says off the back of this performance Teague coached well is misguided. If the objective was to avoid a blow out - yes he did. To win the game - no. Personally I have been a big Teague supporter until this year. Now I just don't think he has the tactical nous to adjust in game. But he has clearly not last the players looking at the last 3 weeks.

Tonight was a mixed bag. Enjoyed the game, hated the loss and feel we are treading water. Burn the club to the ground? Nah we ended up about where I thought we would be given the year to date.
In fairness to teague, he had an extra back late, when we were cooked and about 20 points down, a blow out ominous .
Mentally , missing so many shots early , took the wind out of the boys, little reward for effort

I liked the way we played tonight, very watchable and always had the feeling we could sneak the win with a bit of luck.

A few good players back and that would be very close.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Agree, thought we played a nice style and the mix in our smaller defenders is giving us some kind of identity.

Lots of skilful handballing through traffic, which created opportunities which we just couldn’t convert.

Ok... 6 games left in the season, what should we do.

Bring in the kids.

Honey, he's had 2 games... time for a refresher for the fans so we can see how far he's progressed this year.
Ramsey... lets see what he's got and give him a taste of AFL football.
Durdin, give Owies a couple of weeks rest and lets see him at the top level to see how long he's going to take to get there.
Carroll... Newnes out, Carroll in. Time for him to get a taste of the big show.
Kemp, give him a couple of games to whet our appetites on what he could bring to the side.

Would have been good to see Philp out there... but it's just not to be this year.
Agree with most of this but why would you drop Owies to give give a kid a game when he is a kid ( as far as games go ) himself.
not a really a logical argument however the other bits are solid

Fogarty, Setterfield, Curnow, Martin and Newnes all terrible. Can't omit them all but 2 or 3 of them should be playing VFL next week.

Walsh and Weitering crazy good. Happy with Stocker, JSOS, Saad and TDK. Plowman did well considering he had to play taller. Thought Williamson played much better than last week.

Some good patches of play but too many mistakes made with and without the ball again.
I thought it was one of Stockers worst games looked rushed bad kicks love him keep him in will be a great player but tonight was a fraction of

k

Can't play them all at once. Try Honey for Owies first. Then maybe Carroll for Newnes.
I wasn't suggesting we do them all at once. Maybe 2 of them for 2 weeks, then swap for another two, and then for the last 2 weeks, Kemp and one of the others.

What other options did we have today...might be cooked now but invaluable the last few years... Ruck forward and back

We had none, which sucks, and is why I am not too critical of the performance.

No other club in the league can deal with being without KPF2 (Curnow), KPF3 (McGovern), KPF4 (McDonald), KPF5/RUCK3 (Casboult), KPD2 (Jones), KPD3 (Marchbank), RUCK2 (Pittonet), RUCK4 (Mirkov).

We're in an untenable situation, sadly.

I apologise. A coach does not kick for goal, you’re right.

He selects the team, decides their best positions, outlines the game plan, sets the non negotiable standards, inspires and motivates, disciplines where needed, drives continuous improvement.

Bang up job so far.

If you need to blame someone for the loss today you can put it at the feet of list management.

Jack Silvagni was our backup ruck today FFS.

We've lacked tall defenders on the list for years. No, Marchy is not a key defender (even if he were healthy). We went into the season knowing Charlie was out most of the year. Pittonet broke down.

Casboult was injured and has been the sticky tape holding it all together - backup key defendee, forward and backup ruck.

At some stage the sticky tape was bound to run out of sticky.

This loss isn't on Teague. It's higher than that.

Last edited:
We had none, which sucks, and is why I am not too critical of the performance.

No other club in the league can deal with being without KPF2 (Curnow), KPF3 (McGovern), KPF4 (McDonald), KPF5/RUCK3 (Casboult), KPD2 (Jones), KPD3 (Marchbank), RUCK2 (Pittonet), RUCK4 (Mirkov).

We're in an untenable situation, sadly.
Yep

3rd quarter was inexcusable, lazy garbage that really cost us the game.

The other 3 quarters and the effort was mostly fine by me, but it goes back to the question as to why we cannot play 4 quality, consistent quarters undrr Teague.

Hopefully the Internal club review can spot this problem and hopefully get the people and systems in place to rectify it.

I am really feeling crestfallen though, despite our late losses, I expected better from the boys today.
Am I too naive or optimistic?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe I went out in those temperatures to sit through that.

Don’t think anything significant in that game is at the feet of the coaches. The execution from the players all over the ground would have butchered the best laid plans.

Thought Plowman battled hard. Can’t add anything more to what’s been said re: Walsh and Weiters - they are bona fide champions. I don’t use that word lightly.

Saad is an absolute gun, reads the ball superbly, a brilliant 1v1 defender. He’s not perfect in his decision making but plays with intent at all times. Stocker made some blues but he’ll learn and grow.

The Cats are a huge bodied team - and it really shows when the tackling intent isn’t dialled up to 11. They brushed through a lot of half hearted efforts.

Setterfield - I got him wrong. Thought he’d be a smooth moving big bodied mid that would be a worthy 3W to Cripps’ Driver. He’s anything but. I watched just him for about 8 minutes in the 2nd quarter. The lack of intensity is just glaring. He has absolutely no point of difference.

It’s difficult to think of this season as anything but a waste of everyone’s time. A few players have taken a step forward. The recruits have been largely disappointing. A second consecutive draft with little to show for it. I don’t think we’ve got a gameplan that suggests the talent is being harnessed. If all we’re about with this review is turning over a few assistants, we’re kidding ourselves.

Lots to unpack here.

Anyone saying Levi was a big out or "structure" obviously hasn't watched Levi in 2021. He is of zero use. Jones out huge issue.

We definitely need an effective second key forward. If only we had one coming back to reserves next weekend? Add a second target, see how much easier we score and then Betts, Owies etc suddenly have more space. Add a decent second ruck so the resting ruck can be a tall target up forward and suddenly Silvagni as a floater is very appealing. Our forward line suffers from quality cattle on the park. Keeping ineffective plodders like Levi however is not the answer.

I thought the effort was A+. This was a Geelong side without key players and not at their best, but you cannot question the resolve of our players. That has been questioned this year and it is great to see the tackling, blocking etc improve. I actually think taking out ineffective tall timber like Levi has really helped because he doesn't take marks anyway and at least with a small in we get more chase. Oddly with Jones out Levi would have been useful in defence today - he is still really good at a shut down role.

I have been impressed by the pattern running, blocking etc of our kids since Barker left. SPS, Dow and Kennedy have shown they are all worth persisting with and may become solid B graders that form part of an effective 8-10 person midfield rotation (hopefully Dow and SPS have a higher ceiling). I really rate Carrol in the reserves and think we need one more A grade mid and another B+ at the draft/trade/free agency.

Fox Footy today was very critical of Teague tactically, leaving the spare man back. It was clear he was playing not to win, but to keep the score close and avoid a blow out. Can you blame him given the review? Anyone who says off the back of this performance Teague coached well is misguided. If the objective was to avoid a blow out - yes he did. To win the game - no. Personally I have been a big Teague supporter until this year. Now I just don't think he has the tactical nous to adjust in game. But he has clearly not last the players looking at the last 3 weeks.

Tonight was a mixed bag. Enjoyed the game, hated the loss and feel we are treading water. Burn the club to the ground? Nah we ended up about where I thought we would be given the year to date.
When you lose two key position players before the start of the game and have to throw in two medium sized players, one of whom isn't even a forward, then the side is always going to struggle. So, playing a defensive tactical game was good.

As for Levi, he's now doing what Kreuzer was doing for the last couple of years of his career... playing on one leg to help the side out. He, Levi, has been playing on one knee all year and because of that, hasn't been as effective as he has been in the past. So... what is it with Levi... either he's an ineffective plodder or he's really good at a shutdown role? Because, if he's an ineffective plodder, doesn't that automatically rule out him being really good at a shutdown role?

Really... SPS and Dow... solid B graders... I'll give you Kennedy as a B grade player, but with the right tactics and structures, Dow and SPS will be the A graders we have all thought they would be. I will agree with the improvement of the midfield and I am looing forward to it's continued improvement going forward.

Faux Footy. Now there is a reliable bunch of muppets if I ever saw them. What's next, are you going to trot out Whateley and Slobbo as experts?

Fog hasn't been effective since round 3, yet you supported him until now. Late to the party mate

Ed has been pushed out from his preferred position

Newnes actually got his hands on the footy, unlike some of your fanboys mate

Mate? Not your mate and never will be. Let’s keep it football related.;)

I noticed we promoted (again) a good cause at the game. That is all fine, but maybe we should refocus from being political correct and promoting all kind of causes to having a ruthless winning culture. The whole thing will implode soon......
I don’t think being a socially conscious organisation has anything to do with being ruthless on the field.
If that is being mixed up by players into playing “nice” footy then that is a failure of message from the footy department.

Loss surely means Teagues career is done if Clarko is available

Hawthorn look likely to finish 2nd last this season.

Is Clarkson really the coach we need if we part ways with Teague ?

If we have to make a change, I am very very keen on Adem Yze.

If you need to blame someone for the loss today you can put it at the feet of list management.

Jack Silvagni was our backup ruck today FFS.

We've lacked tall defenders on the list for years. No, Marchy is not a key defender. We went into the season knowing Charlie was out most of the year. Pittonet broke down.

Casboult was injured and has been the sticky tape holding it all together - backup key defendee, forward and backup ruck.

At some stage the sticky tape was bound to run out of sticky.

This loss isn't on Teague. It's higher than that.

This is true.

Apparently we have a bunch of players we simply can't play (Honey, Ramsay, LOB, Kemp, etc) so Setterfield has to come in.

Yet last year we moved on Goddard, Kreuzer, Macreadie, Silvagni and Moore. To replace them we added Oscar McDonald and... Parks, who is massively undersized. Then Mirkov who is a long term project midyear.

Goddard and Moore would have played today.

Back