Preview Rd 18 2017 Sydney v St Kilda @ SCG - Saturday 22 July (preview on page 8, post #191)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawson or Hayward as a KPF? No thanks. The way we bomb long we need someone big enough to not be able to stand up to a KPD and compete. Not fair on either to ask them to do that.

If Reid can't play, it'd have to be Aliir surely.
Aliir ? the near All Australian backman from 2016 ? the BOG in the last five reserves games? the messiah?
He is a lock for any position

I'm strangely calm for this one.
Reading the 'Aints board they've got McCartin out, Membrey still Suspended and Roo on one leg.
Assuming that all holds true, our back 6 should have plenty of intercept and drive out of the backline giving the midfield a welcome hand in moving the ball forward.

I'd be inclined to give Reid the week off to recover, play Gaz as deep FF and rest a midfielder forward all game be it Parker, JPK or Jack to add an extra dimension and forward pressure.

We got this

Last edited:
I'm strangely calm for this one.
Reading the 'Aints board they've got McCartin out, Membrey still Suspended and roo on one leg.
Assuming that all holds true, our back 6 should have plenty of intercept and drive out of the backline giving the midfield a welcome hand in moving the ball forward.

I'd be inclined to give Reid the week off to recover, play Gaz as deep FF and rest a midfielder forward all game be it Parker, JPK or Jack to add an extra dimension and forward pressure.

We got this
Much like I wouldn't freak out playing dawson in the forwards. The aints backline isn't that scary. Just have to be smart going in fwd 50. We survived without Reid on the weekend .

Much like I wouldn't freak out playing dawson in the forwards. The aints backline isn't that scary. Just have to be smart going in fwd 50. We survived without Reid on the weekend .
Gilbert also broke his hand. Will be out this week.

In the Mills post match interview Reid seemed to have an ice pack on his left groin. That's not good at any time & I've no doubt Collingwood would be very concerned with their 700K plus valuation of him.

I'm guessing they won't risk Sam Reid, with some big games coming up.

I think it will be Sinclair to come into the side and spend a lot of time forward.

This is a game we should win but we need to bring the same intensity as last week. Members missing for them helps us.

Has anyone got a firm update on Reid yet?
Doubt we'll hear anything until Wednesday/Thursday, but gut feel is that he's going to miss, along with Rohan. Seems prudent to go cautious, given the next two games :eek:

Completely agree, play players in their best position but if Reid is down we're missing a forward either way. Aliir's name has been thrown about but his game on the weekend wasn't as good despite also playing down forward for bug parts of the game.

The only other player I would consider is to bring Sinclair back in. Wouldn't even flinch at keeping him as a stay at home forward and keep Towers pinching in the ruck
Talked about it in today's blog, with Rohan & Reid most likely missing. It would be nuts taking them into the Saints game if they're not 100% and they're out for the next 4 weeks.

Changes are most likely going to be Sinclair & Hayward, but could also see Dawson come in for Rohan, or even Aliir for Reid.

Talked about it in today's blog, with Rohan & Reid most likely missing. It would be nuts taking them into the Saints game if they're not 100% and they're out for the next 4 weeks.

Changes are most likely going to be Sinclair & Hayward, but could also see Dawson come in for Rohan, or even Aliir for Reid.
I thought Hayward was taken off in NEAFL game due to injury. If so, he would seem doubtful to play this one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys will belt us. The only way we come close is if we kick dead accurate, and that just won't happen. The Richmond game must have been a one off for straight kicking. With all of Membrey, Bruce and Riewoldt in the side we are 9-2 this year, but in games without 1 or more of those 3 we have a shocking record of 0-5. Midfielders will just bomb it in long, not having Membrey takes away our number 1 marking target inside 50 - Lloyd, Rampe, Mills etc should have a field day. The form Buddy is in, coupled with the fact he loves playing us means he'll probably kick 7+, Swans to win by 10 goals.

To be tested: Sam Reid, Oliver Florent

20170717_injurylistv1.png

nothing re Will Hayward going off ~ half time in the reserves ?!?!

Edited: nothing re Gary Rohan

Kurt Tippett to be monitored
"Kurt was due to play 80 minutes in the NEAFL and just after half time he presented with some groin tightness,” Harley said.
“There is nothing too serious at this stage after having our injury clinic this morning.
“We will assess him as the week goes on but we expect him to train and play.”

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/news/2017-07-17/reid-tippett-to-be-monitored

If Tippett did not play the expected 80 minutes in NEAFL *and* if Tippett is OK *and* if Reid is injured (phew!), then I would consider Tippett would not come in for Reid as does not have the match fitness. (Need an IF THEN ELSE statements here!)

Last edited:
With the Saints and a few more teams breathing down our neck the players know there is no margin for error (or complacency). Notwithstanding that we are simply the better team, the Saints are not in that good nick, injury and form wise. Their run is the only weapon that could hurt us but I think our game plan has that covered. We will probably drop a game or two before the finals but this won't be one of them.

You guys will belt us. The only way we come close is if we kick dead accurate, and that just won't happen. The Richmond game must have been a one off for straight kicking. With all of Membrey, Bruce and Riewoldt in the side we are 9-2 this year, but in games without 1 or more of those 3 we have a shocking record of 0-5. Midfielders will just bomb it in long, not having Membrey takes away our number 1 marking target inside 50 - Lloyd, Rampe, Mills etc should have a field day. The form Buddy is in, coupled with the fact he loves playing us means he'll probably kick 7+, Swans to win by 10 goals.
Won't be confident until the final siren sounds. But that's just me, still recovering from getting beaten by Carlton & Hawks.

We'll win this one in a canter. The Saints have been hit by injuries to some key players and it has totally messed up their structure (particularly inside forward 50). Even if Reid and Rohan don't make it by Saturday, I'm confident we have too much strikepower for them to contain. And with their blind entries into their forward 50, it will bring our intercepting halfbacks into the game, which spells trouble for the Saints.

I'm tipping it to be over by half time and we end up winning by 47.

If Reid is out, Aliir should come in. Will he thrive as that forward/swingman? Probably not. But Reid doesn't always thrive either. Worth the risk IMO.

I'd be happy with Hayward or Florent coming in for Robinson. I personally have never been a fan of negative players. I get he's performing a role and I see the value of it, I would just rather someone who can help us compile a winning score. However Florent is injured (?) and Hayward played half a NEAFL game which does not equate walking in to the senior side to me.

Who knows. Don't really care. We just must win this or we're in the shit

Edit: would actually rather Dawson than either Hayward or Florent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back