Preview Rd 18 Carlton v Sydney Sat 23 July - 1.45pm @ SCG - Team post #166

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sumner has promise but if we're serious about winning games of footy, he should be mothballed in the VFL until pre-season.

2 touches a quarter shouldn't guarantee a game each week.

I understand he's one of sos's undroppables but I'd have Mark Whiley making 8 tackles and limiting the damage of Sydney's contested ball magnets. But Whiley's die was cast some months ago. :(

Its pretty simple really, if you deserve a call up, you get a call up. You make your own luck. Nobody expected Silvagni to play this year but his form demanded he be picked. If Jaksch's mentality is "woe is me" because other players are getting call ups before him, then that is the problem and there is the door.
If you think Silvagni was only picked due to form, and not other factors, then I have to strongly disagree (maybe its a post for the unpopular opinions thread).

If you think Silvagni was only picked due to form, and not other factors, then I have to strongly disagree (maybe its a post for the unpopular opinions thread).

silvagni is seen as the future so any games he can get are beneficial. in a rebuild that is fair enough and he is showing he can handle it. he's not exactly keeping anyone more deserving out of a spot anyway

Could get ugly this game up there. Swans will want blood after last week.

We know this already though, so let's please not all lose our minds if we get smashed.

If we can get within 30 points of them it'll be a decent outing. Sadly though I reckon we'll lose by at least double that.

Silvagni is better at ground level and has a higher footy IQ than Jaksch.

KJ doesn't appear to be rated internally, is still stick thin and lacks the fundamental desire to succeed at AFL level. Was also completely lost up forward last week, and given that was the role that was assigned to him, he was pretty disappointing.

Charlie Curnow overtook him during the pre-season and Harry McKay is much more physical, agile and plays with intensity and aggression. I can't see a future for Kristian.

[
Silvagni is better at ground level and has a higher footy IQ than Jaksch.

KJ doesn't appear to be rated internally, is still stick thin and lacks the fundamental desire to succeed at AFL level. Was also completely lost up forward last week, and given that was the role that was assigned to him, he was pretty disappointing.

Charlie Curnow overtook him during the pre-season and Harry McKay is much more physical, agile and plays with intensity and aggression. I can't see a future for Kristian.
Was a big ask expecting him to be the main man in the forward line last week. The ball use in the 1st half when he played forward was terrible. Continually kicked over his head. Was in the back half when the game opened up when we were finally able to take some marks inside 50. It is not as if Curnow did more than him in the first half. Be sad if his only chance up forward this year was a half when the side played poorly.

silvagni is seen as the future so any games he can get are beneficial. in a rebuild that is fair enough and he is showing he can handle it. he's not exactly keeping anyone more deserving out of a spot anyway
Silvagni is no more the future than Kristian Jaksch should be.

In their first games for the club this year, Silvagni had 15 touches at 40% DE, whilst Jaksch had 8 touches at 87.5% DE. So in terms of effective disposals, Silvagni had 6, and Jaksch had 7 (he only had 6 effective against West Coast too). Silvagni kicked 1 behind, but spent the whole game up forward/half forward, whilst Jaksch didn't score but spent half the game in defense.

Silvagni made the team after kicking 4, 4 & 2 goals over 3 weeks, but Jaksch didn't get a call up when he went 4, 1 & 4 (with more shots on goal).

I understand the love for a father son. But don't be blinded by his aura, and say hes more deserving of a game purely on form.

Last edited:

In their first games for the club this year, Silvagni had 15 touches at 40% DE, whilst Jaksch had 8 touches at 87.5% DE. So in terms of effective disposals, Silvagni had 6, and Jaksch had 7. Silvagni kicked 1 behind, but spent the whole game up forward/half forward, whilst Jaksch didn't score but spent half the game in defense.

Silvagni made the team after kicking 4, 4 & 2 goals over 3 weeks, but Jaksch didn't get a call up when he went 4, 1 & 4 (with more shots on goal).

I understand the love for a father son. But don't be blinded by his aura, and say hes more deserving of a game purely on form.

disagree. stats are irrelevant especially for ones so young. this is purely about development and upside. for a very young kid silvagni has done well and shows real talent. jaksch looks lost. jaksch has been in the system nearly 4 years. silvagni 10 months and already looks ahead of him. id love jaksch to be a top level player but at the moment he isnt showing much at all. bottom line is if jaksch was showing enough he would be playing regardless of how well silvagni is doing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In their first games for the club this year, Silvagni had 15 touches at 40% DE, whilst Jaksch had 8 touches at 87.5% DE. So in terms of effective disposals, Silvagni had 6, and Jaksch had 7 (he only had 6 effective against West Coast too). Silvagni kicked 1 behind, but spent the whole game up forward/half forward, whilst Jaksch didn't score but spent half the game in defense.

How does KJ's Mum compare to Jo Silvagni ???

Can I ask how many Northern Blues games you have watched these two play in ? They were like chalk and cheese at that level especially in work ethic !!! One deserved a call up and the other didn't.

disagree. stats are irrelevant especially for ones so young. this is purely about development and upside. for a very young kid silvagni has done well and shows real talent. jaksch looks lost. jaksch has been in the system nearly 4 years. silvagni 10 months and already looks ahead of him. id love jaksch to be a top level player but at the moment he isnt showing much at all. bottom line is if jaksch was showing enough he would be playing regardless of how well silvagni is doing

Well said.

You're making a call on 1 game each, at least you seem to be in the first part of your post?
Not exactly a large base, is it?
Granted, 3 games from Jack isn't a large base, but Jaksch has been in the system a number of years and that is a fair base.

But I digress.

You talk of how many goals they kicked in the lead up to their recall.
What about effort? 1 %ers?
Club have said numerous times with KJ it is about work ethic.
Have you seen Jack play VFL this year?
I have, many times, and his desperation is clear to see.
Smothers, tackles, etc.

Refer to the fact Jack in the seniors in I think his first game was the number one player for CFC for goal assist/score involvements.
He was ranked our 7th best player in his first game on SC points.
Can't recall KJ having such an impact in any game for Carlton.

But it isn't always about stats.
How was Jack's contested marks late last week. They showed desperation and hunger and leadership beyond his years.
Jaksch, apart from one very courageous run back with the flight had little to no impact on the game. And he has been in the system for years.
Do you really think KJ was dumped and Jack retained bec Jack is a FS? Come on... give me a break.

I have seen a lot of the VFL this year, and Jaksch has played some good footy, he is very good in the air, but the club have said he needs to improve his work ethic. And his field kicking has been poor from the games I have seen.
Jack on the other hand, has in my view been a stand out at VFL level. His kicking is sublime. His attack on the ball and man is sublime. Don't judge Jack's kicking Eff on 1 game. Judge it over his career. He is a wonderful kick.

[
Was a big ask expecting him to be the main man in the forward line last week. The ball use in the 1st half when he played forward was terrible. Continually kicked over his head. Was in the back half when the game opened up when we were finally able to take some marks inside 50. It is not as if Curnow did more than him in the first half. Be sad if his only chance up forward this year was a half when the side played poorly.

Sure, but that's the nature of AFL.

KJ isn't a first year player, he's been on a list since 2012, and as such, he can't be mollycoddled into AFL footy. Most were happy to give him time to develop, with the understanding that he needed to show the same skill set at senior level as he did in the VFL and now he has his chance, he has to show something.

It wasn't just his offensive movements; he was pretty average when we didn't have the ball. These are some fundamental signifiers that he doesn't have the mindset or the workrate to make an impact.

Personally, I think he's a bit of a write-off.

You're making a call on 1 game each, at least you seem to be in the first part of your post?
Not exactly a large base, is it?
Granted, 3 games from Jack isn't a large base, but Jaksch has been in the system a number of years and that is a fair base.

But I digress.

You talk of how many goals they kicked in the lead up to their recall.
What about effort? 1 %ers?
Club have said numerous times with KJ it is about work ethic.
Have you seen Jack play VFL this year?
I have, many times, and his desperation is clear to see.
Smothers, tackles, etc.

Refer to the fact Jack in the seniors in I think his first game was the number one player for CFC for goal assist/score involvements.
He was ranked our 7th best player in his first game on SC points.
Can't recall KJ having such an impact in any game for Carlton.

But it isn't always about stats.
How was Jack's contested marks late last week. They showed desperation and hunger and leadership beyond his years.
Jaksch, apart from one very courageous run back with the flight had little to no impact on the game. And he has been in the system for years.
Do you really think KJ was dumped and Jack retained bec Jack is a FS? Come on... give me a break.

I have seen a lot of the VFL this year, and Jaksch has played some good footy, he is very good in the air, but the club have said he needs to improve his work ethic. And his field kicking has been poor from the games I have seen.
Jack on the other hand, has in my view been a stand out at VFL level. His kicking is sublime. His attack on the ball and man is sublime. Don't judge Jack's kicking Eff on 1 game. Judge it over his career. He is a wonderful kick.
Great post and couldn't agree more !

KJ is three years older and has shown less form than Jack.

In none of Jaksch's games for us thus far he's shown any glimpse of being a part of our future. It's very concerning for him.

We are going to smash the Swans with a 10 goal blitz in the 1st term followed by 9 in the second.

Bombay, Kalina, India

dont know where you pulled that from but not even a consideration
I pulled it from the bit where you said that silvagni was selected because he was part of our future (which suggests Jaksch is not part of our future).

I pulled it from the bit where you said that silvagni was selected because he was part of our future (which suggests Jaksch is not part of our future).

Hope you don't mind if I but in here.
Jack, based off what I have seen (and I have seen a fair bit I should add), IS a part of our future.
Jaksch, based off what I have seen (and I have seen a fair bit I should add), has a fair bit of work to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back