Preview Rd 18 Carlton v Sydney Sat 23 July - 1.45pm @ SCG - Team post #166

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many blue-baggers making the trip up? Looks like it's going to be perfect weather which has seemed a rarity for SCG games this year...hoping we can get a crowd of 35k +
I'll be there but I live in Sydney so the trip is not so bad! :thumbsu:

The difference in the number of days between games is absolutely rubbish. We have to travel up to Sydney on the back of a 6 day break while they played on the Thursday.

I normally defend the draw as having it's quirks but we should be demanding answers from the AFL on this. It's just not good enough.

This will be a tough game but one you get a lot out of.

B: Touhy Rowe Plowman
HB: Docherty Weitering White
C: Boekhorst Cripps Simpson
HF: Silvagni Jaksch Armfield
F: Curnow McKay Wright
OB: Kreuzer Gibbs Curnow
IC: Phillips Graham Kerridge Buckley

IN:
Boekhorst - earned it, has the pace/skill we need in the team.
McKay - Aparently mover really well in the VFL and kicked some goals. Time to blood him too.

OUT:
Lamb - consecutive poor games. Seems a reasonable player but he's hasn't got the flair, super pace and/or freaky skills that the good small forwards have that make them great.

Sumner - Been saying it for a while, he should be in the VFL. He can't run or get the ball, needs to go back, play in the center and be made to work hard and find some footy. Not doing enough.

Wouldn't bring Casboult straight back, his form prior wasn't warranting a game to begin with.
May as well blood McKay and see how he goes. Silvagni going well and Curnow going ok, he might go ok as well. Jaksch was poor but we're going to get more out of playing him than sitting him in the VFL. Boekhorst needs to come in, add a bit more pace. Thomas can have another week off, he hasn't been much good for a while. May as well go full rebuild mode and play the youngsters.

Won't bring Levi back in but happy to blood an under done rookie after 1 VFL game?????

I'd like to see us continue with the Charlie, Weitering and Silvagni forward line for at least a few more games - can probably achieve this by playing Jaksch down back and maybe dropping one of the ruckman for Casboult.

HF: Jack Silvagni, Jacob Weitering, Matthew Wright
F: Levi Casboult, Charlie Curnow, Dennis Armfield

^ looks better than what we had before.

I really like the looks of that forward line!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two putrid games in succession then a dumb suspension and Levi is an automatic return? OK....

Shouldn't be, should it?

What we don't know is how the taller younger bodies are handling things right now.....Weitering, Curnow, Silvagni and maybe even Jaksch.
I don't feel he should come straight back in...........but I can understand if he does.

If I was selecting a side to tackle Sydney

OUT - Jed Lamb (Omitted), Liam Sumner (Omitted), Kristian Jaksch (Omitted)

IN - Matthew Dick, Blaine Boekhorst, Levi Casboult

FB - Matthew Dick, Sam Rowe, Zach Tuohy
HB - Kade Simpson, Lachie Plowman, Sam Docherty
C - Bryce Gibbs, Patrick Cripps, Sam Kerridge
HF - Matthew Wright, Levi Casboult, Jack Silvagni
FF -Jacob Weitering, Charlie Curnow, Dennis Armfield
R - Matthew Kruezer, Ed Curnow, Nick Graham
I - Dylan Buckley, Blaine Boekhorst, Andrew Phillips, Levi Casboult
E -Dale Thomas, Kristian Jaksch, Liam Sumner

IN - Matthew Dick, Blaine Boekhorst, Levi Casboult
OUT - Jed Lamb (Omitted), Liam Sumner (Omitted), Kristian Jaksch (Omitted)

Key Match ups:

Rowe vs Franklin

Cripps vs Kennedy

Curnow vs Hannebery

Gibbs vs Mitchell

Silvagni vs Rampe

Kruezer/Phillips vs Sinclair (Gorringe could be a good in for this week)

Armfield vs Mills

No reason we can't beat Sydney, if we play like we know we can and similar to the final term vs WCE we could be in this match up to our eye balls.
That being said, a rebounding Sydney needing a good win to stay in touch with top 4 could have to much depth for us to counter.
If we are on our game, Sydney by 14 points

If we aren't on our game, Sydney by 81 points

IMO Cripps beat Priddis and now he lines up against another contested beast, by seasons end Cripps will be the clear premier clearance player in the league.

Yes, we've done it before this season, plenty of times. We're running out of time to do it, there isn't much football left.

I agree, I just don't think we should break the kid. If we play him in round 20, that allows three games at VFL level, that will indicate if his body is good to go (also missing physical encounters vs Syd & Haw) allowing for four senior games vs sAints, BL, Melb & Ess - this will be a great exposure to senior footy and hopefully send him into his second preseason confident and hungry for more.

Normally, I wouldnt suggest we select a favourable game to debut a player but since I believe it was done with Sausage then there is no reason we shouldn't do it with a taller player coming off back complaints.

Lamb and Sumner were really poor on Sunday. Definitely time for at least one, maybe both of them to have a spell.
Kruez just looks out of sorts..wouldn't hurt if he had a week off to get his body right; this allows us to try Phillips one out (was really good Sunday I thought) with Cas & Rowe giving him a chop out.
The delivery in to the forward line was so bad Jezza would have struggled. I know Jaksch was average, but needs a couple of games to show what he's got.

Whiley, Boek, Cas in.
Lamb, Kruez, Sumner out

Play Kerridge and Buckley maybe as our small forwards (although I know Buckley has struggled with this role before)
Would like to see Whiley and Graham in against Sydneys tough midfield...Cripps needs a chop out.

I've given it some thought, told myself I was being stupid, then gave it some more thought, and...

...Jones in.

Our forward line needs a big body to crunch packs. Don't think I saw Jaksch get off the ground yesterday, and even then he doesn't have the physical presence to impose himself in a pack situation. Casboult, while being touted as having some of the best hands in the comp only averages 5.3 marks a game (2.3 of those being contested), and burns 50% of his shots on goal anyway.

We need a big tall who can keep the Sydney defenders on their toes. Jones can clunk a pack mark, has a good jump when he gets a run, and is a fair shot for goal. He's also spent plenty of time in the VFL with Jaksch and SOS, so you'd think they'd have a bit of synergy in their positioning and leading patterns.

Agree with most that Boek has done enough to come back in. Not as sure on Whiley, considering his biggest criticism has been pace and decision making - Sydney apply a shiteload of pressure in the guts, so a bloke who takes too long to give the ball at the best of times could be more of a liability.

For me, its:

FB: Tuohy, Plowman, Weitering
HB: Docherty, Rowe, Simpson
C: Boekhorst. Cripps, Gibbs
R: Phillips, Curnow, Graham
HF: Curnow, Jaksch, Wright
FF: Sumner, Jones, Silvagni
I/C: Kreuzer, Kerridge, Armfield, Buckley

OUT: Lamb, White
IN: Boekhorst, Jones

Lamb needs to work on his composure - a few too many dropped marks and fumbles at crucial times, and his delivery by foot has frustrated me in the last few games. White unlucky, I do like what he brings to the side, but don't see a match-up for him in this one. Would consider Whiley for Kerridge as like-for-like if we think Cripps needs more genuine inside help.

Two genuine talls, two tall-playing mediums, and two smalls up forward. Some grunt and class in the middle, and our tried and tested defensive unit. A bit of everything on the bench.

Given Bolton said in the presser that we were essentially devoid of a marking target hence the need to play Weiters forward...Cas is an absolute cert to play. Having said that our I think our forwards get a raw deal. Both Cas and Jacksch just have the ball lobbed on their heads impossible to mark those. Cas is some chance but that style of play is not for Jacksch. His goals in the 2's are generally from leads or one out. I keep hear we are talking about reviewing our entries but nothing seems to change. All we seem to do is press high and then don't have options if we get a turn over. The onyl time we did yesterday was when we basically threw caution to the wind as we had nothing to lose. I don't think the way we played in the last quarter is how Bolts wants to play all the time.

Given Bolton said in the presser that we were essentially devoid of a marking target hence the need to play Weiters forward...Cas is an absolute cert to play. Having said that our I think our forwards get a raw deal. Both Cas and Jacksch just have the ball lobbed on their heads impossible to mark those. Cas is some chance but that style of play is not for Jacksch. His goals in the 2's are generally from leads or one out. I keep hear we are talking about reviewing our entries but nothing seems to change. All we seem to do is press high and then don't have options if we get a turn over. The onyl time we did yesterday was when we basically threw caution to the wind as we had nothing to lose. I don't think the way we played in the last quarter is how Bolts wants to play all the time.

Think there need to be some questions asked of our forward coaching staff this off-season. Too often are all our talls in the same spot, resulting in chaotic pack contests. Other teams work together to create space - our philosophy seems to be "the more players under the ball, the more chance someone will mark it..."

It's a big forward 50, would like to see us use it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back