Preview Rd 18 Pies V Cats Fri July 12 2024 740 pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The move to Tom Stewart on ball should have been made a lot sooner, we could of won a few more games.

I mean it's a great move. But if you do it 10 weeks ago, it's way more time for the opposition to work out how to negate it.

Now's the right time to do it because it gives a bit of a run up into finals to get it really humming, while reducing the amount of 'exposure' and analysis.

Plus we don't play too many other contenders for the rest of the year, so they can't 'try out' anything to stop it.

But you're then dropping a defender and adding a forward if it's Henry for Tuohy

We are but unless they drop clark and dont recall knevitt its the most likely outcome (im assuming neale will stay for structure though i wouldnt personally)

I wonder what the Win/Loss record is Geel v Coll say for the last 20 years , i reckon it would be very tight 50/50 games split with some real hammerings handed out both ways

Thats why form , or if one side has got quite a few injuries , you dont get over confident , or you can end up dissappointed

No bulldust about 5 years ago at a guess , Buckley was still coaching them , we were warm favourites , and my power went out all day Sat , its like a 3rd world country without electricity , your just waiting for it to come back on , finally came back on that evening , and the woman giving the sports wrap said in an upset Coll have beaten Geel at the MCG ( got jumped in the 1st half ) and i thought can this day get any worse

You are spot on. If we take it from 'Year 1' as I often reference my Geelong supporting experience (1984-when Gary Sr joined the club), there's been 63 clashes, of which Geelong have won 32, the Pies 31.

If we take it from our glory era from 2007 onwards, the Pies are the side we've had the least success against in this period, with a record of only 17-13 Geelong's way since then, when our record against all other sides has been much better than that. That's what I was saying in my previous post, the two sides just don't really win too many in a row against each other, no matter how good or bad they might be. We've lost the last two, it's our turn this weekend!

Yes recently we have thank goodness , over the journey re finals re Coll , again i reckon it would be tight , they may just shade us

Flags are the name of the game and thus no Cats supporter is dissappointed re the last 16-17 years etc

However you mention finals , i think the only 2 clubs ( barring the new ones ) that Geel has got a positive Win/Loss record in finals against , are those 2 utter Powerhouse clubs called Footscray ( certain of ) and StKilda , and im not 100% certain on the Saints one , thats a definitely positively maybe one

Geelong 14-12 over the Pies in our 26 finals meetings, which is the highest number of finals games played between any two sides in the history of the competition.

We are but unless they drop clark and dont recall knevitt its the most likely outcome (im assuming neale will stay for structure though i wouldnt personally)
I don't understand anyone wanting to drop Neale for Henry at all. Neale drops a few marks though he's getting better at that quickly, but he presents as a key. If you play Henry as a key he will be too easily outmarked and so you allow their 2nd kpd to play a bit of roaming interceptor.

Just doesn't make any sense to me

Meat tray

In Knevitt out Clark (if Knevitt is over his sickness)

Hmm i know Scott has flagged Henry back in but which forward to we drop , make sub for him?

I wouldn't be dropping Close, Miers, Stengle, Mannagh for him as they are different types.

Rohan has been playing to well which is the most like for like so no unless Rohan needs a rest or we are rotating them through the sub.

Neale is someone we need to get to 50 games asap to see if he can be a good long term key forward and he has been playing well not to mention he plays a role Henry isn't suited for.

Only other options for Henry to come in are for mids hell no or defenders hell no

Last edited:
You would drop Neale after he had a game in which he scored 2.2 and could easily have had 3-5 goals? talk about harsh

Personally i would be yes it would be a hard call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will not be shocked if scott does a scott thing and dumps mannagh or puts rohan back to the sub role.

Post hoc justification will then flood this thread afterwards.

Mannagh won't be getting omitted

Rohan to sub as a management option is a possiblity though

Meat tray

In Knevitt out Clark (if Knevitt is over his sickness)

Hmm i know Scott has flagged Henry back in but which forward to we drop , make sub for him?

I wouldn't be dropping Close, Miers, Stengle, Mannagh for him as they are different types.

Rohan has been playing to well which is the most like for like so no unless Rohan needs a rest or we are rotating them through the sub.

Neale is someone we need to get to 50 games asap to see if he can be a good long term key forward and he has been playing well not to mention he plays a role Henry isn't suited for.

Only other options for Henry to come in are for mids hell no or defenders hell no

Scott shouldn't be shoe-horning a player in unless he's a clear upgrade on the player he replaces.

Not sure that'd be the case here. The side finally seems well balanced, and the only way I can see Henry's inclusion not upsetting that is if they start him on the ground and sub Rohan in later in the game for impact.

But then that might well upset the balance in its own right. Rohan has been doing well.

You are spot on. If we take it from 'Year 1' as I often reference my Geelong supporting experience (1984-when Gary Sr joined the club), there's been 63 clashes, of which Geelong have won 32, the Pies 31.

If we take it from our glory era from 2007 onwards, the Pies are the side we've had the least success against in this period, with a record of only 17-13 Geelong's way since then, when our record against all other sides has been much better than that. That's what I was saying in my previous post, the two sides just don't really win too many in a row against each other, no matter how good or bad they might be. We've lost the last two, it's our turn this weekend!
I like our win loss ratio against the pies in finals since 2007.

Mannagh won't be getting omitted

Rohan to sub as a management option is a possiblity though
Rest him against the dogs or north. We must win tomorrow to set up a top four spot and have a reasonable shot at a flag. Rohan has a good record against the pies and is becoming the most important player on our foward line.

Although cant see how rohan possiby needs a rest given his lack of game time this year. There would be 15 ahead of him in terms of giving rests.

He's not doing his chances any harm by playing the way he did on the weekend. His time will come.

Agreed. He’s on an AFL list and progressing very well, which is a good outcome considering his pathway.
We are playing quite a few younger, inexperienced players, a la Mannagh/Clarke/Humphries/Knevitt so we need to be careful we don’t top the balance too far, particularly against an incredibly experienced midfield like Collingwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand anyone wanting to drop Neale for Henry at all. Neale drops a few marks though he's getting better at that quickly, but he presents as a key. If you play Henry as a key he will be too easily outmarked and so you allow their 2nd kpd to play a bit of roaming interceptor.

Just doesn't make any sense to me
Neales stats stand up pretty good against Henry’s this year.

Maybe, but there's also a silver lining that there's only one likely finalist that we'll face in the run from here.

Most finalists won't have seen their structure up against this new system and with their own battles to fight from here they'd be unlikely to have sunk enough time into their analysis to do anything but back their structure.
We seem to be able to evolve within season by addressing our weaknesses and improving our game - one of the reasons Scott is lauded so much.
As with change , time is of the essence and Scott is fixated on us peaking at the right time.
Friday night is huge - big test against a wounded contender who will throw everything at us - what a great opportunity for our kids to play in a Finals intensity game and a big crowd.
This one almost sets up our season and run into the Finals , make it happen Catters :thumbsu:

Cos that’s his job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LOL. Is it?? Is that all his job is??
Was Mannagh thinking his job was just as a small crumbing forward that just kick 1-2 goals?
I think the days of one dimensional mid sized half forwards that take 3 marks and kick 2 goals 1... and a tackle with another 3-4 zero impact possessions are from a bygone era.
Mannagh went back and had to do/learn/achieve certain goals that are expected of a well rounded player that can contribute in more than 1 or 2 aspects of the game.
Mannagh will do what we expect from Close Miers Stengle... Hell, even Dempsey worked on more aspects on his game to become a more rounded player that he has become.
FWIW OH needs some of that education.
Never know he might stick a tackle or two and chase and harass in that 50 arc.
Harsh? Yeah maybe. But so is the game of Football.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back