Autopsy Rd 18 v Hawks - There is nothing to say

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is that many of us no longer see better days coming.

We were told this rebuild was a full club rebuild, a bottom to top rebuild in every aspect of the club.

So after 3 years the questions naturally become:

1) did we rebuild the medical department or just leave the old one in place? If it was the former then it’s clear that aspect of the rebuild was done very poorly, if the latter then why didn’t we rebuild it.

2) same questions of the fitness and performance departments as above. Additionally, why was this years pre season for the club as a whole worse than the previous 2.

3) again, same questions can be asked of assistant coaches, player development, recruitment of mature aged players etc etc.

Point I’m making is, we trusted those in charge with this rebuild, and clearly this year has shown that those in charge haven’t made the best decisions regarding the above aspects of the rebuild, so why should we place our trust and faith in them again without them giving us a metric of the changes they plan to make so we can assess them on the progress of such changes next year.

The main thing this year has shown to me is that losing our two best players from last year in the off season and being decimated by injuries over the course of the season itself has led to us being in the position we are in.

We will know about any significant changes that may be made as they occur, no way that the club is going to telegraph these things in advance.

As opposed to the team ruining the weekends of many supporters because the club is united and likes to pick out the few positives (green shoots) as though these positives are good enough for supporters to hang onto while it has a almost winless season?

If you don't hang on to the few positives that you can identify in a season like this then what are you going to hang on to? I don't see what the alternative is other than turning your back on the club altogether and I for one will never do that.

He wouldn't, and you know it.

Lets all reserve judgement till next year when he will have our best 6 fit and functioning back liners playing. Hopefully supported by a midfield that has been supported by some smart recruiting. Then we will see whether the Jones of 2017 was a mirage or the real deal

You aren't the first to make such an observation about his lack of impact compared to his first season...however all I will raise in his defence the following narrative based on watching carltons games this year - usually more than once each...

when SPS has ball in hand usually ( as a a first look) he look forwards and sees...no leading runners in the guts and the HFFers behind him - zoning off against no one - or even funnier- Graham still trying to get to a position he was supposed to be in 5 minutes ago......meanwhile Levi and Harry are under each other's legs surrounded by defenders -

so he has a second look around him and sees - every Carlton player out of position behind their opponents in some kind of zone zombie space they move from because they expect to see a turnover...

so SPS takes a third look and sees..two opponents closing in on him ..

so he takes a fourth look and usually gets away with a dinky kick to disadvantage because that is where all the Carlton players are positioned OR he hospital passes to anyone not about to be crunched as fast as he is...

even worse is if he actually listens to Murphy who has positioned himself in some space - shouting for the ball so SPS kicks it backwards 30 meters to his Captain - just like Lob did and got criticised for y commentators who are too stupid to see the Captain screaming for the ball ....and LoB giving it to him...

Like Weitering who is surrounded by incompetence, SPS in my opinion looks way way worse than he actually is because SPS cant use his weapons as there (literally) is no transition structure or game plan in effect....take Fisher out and the team relies on Cripps winning ball , peeling off a couple of scraggers running around ball receiver, getting ball, shrugging off tackler and doing something with it - it takes THAT long for Carlton mids and wings and HFF'ers to actually START moving...saw the same thing 3-4 times in second half...

the kids aren't the problem at Carlton - not by a long shot...Murphy is very very fortunate that Carlton hasn't got a couple of genuine A grade mods lined up to join this year...
Yep great points not denying them as they are good ones even so our kicking is terrible the rate of turnover by foot for whatever the reason is horrendous and just adds to the structural problems .
The team we played Hawthorn over the years have made an art form of being able to kick and dispose of the ball under pressure and through traffic to a team mate.
Also with players out of position cultimating in them kicking to an open forwardline with little fellas streaming into their forwardline running on to it and goaling .
Its the way AFL is theres major congestion players out of position its why the AFL will introduce rules next year that will see structures straighten up somewhat .
We have a player that hasnt played a game this year in Tom Williamson from his very first kick one could see wow this boy can kick .
He showed up the deficiences by foot of so many of our players and im sure if he was playing we'd be seeing the same .
Too many players that arent at an adequate AFL standard in kicking the ball in our side .

My best guess is that the forward structures aren't working, combined with players too devoid of confidence means they aren't willing to take the risk with a kick forward/ there is no obvious option so they go backwards.
Its so infuriating we pick 3 tall forwards that can all clunk a contested mark and we dont want to get it in quick .
Its a directive of all coaches imo that they say to their players if you arent absolutely confident you can hit a target forward keep possession and wait for the best option .
That invariably doesnt come because leads arent honoured and we see this possession chip side/backwards crap the structure falls apart because Casboult in particular has lead and lead again now he's been sucked up the ground and the opposition have got numbers back .
So many wasted possessions in footy .

Christ, do some of you sleep? So much activity in the wee hours.

Anyway, the news about Fish absolutely sucks. He would have finished top 5 in the b&f, still might based on our form.

And I don't wanna bring this up again, but Marc Murphy bloody hell. Zero tackles, zero one percenters. 100% seagull on the day. If Crippa or Doc aren't made captain the first day of post season I'm gonna be ropeable.

Bullshit. He may have posted things that I and others disagree with but that doesn't make everything he's posted embarrassing.

What's embarrassing is a man of your age jumping on the internet just to be a smart arse and shit stir others.

Why do you come on here and attack everyone day in day out, it’s ruining the forum for all

Its so infuriating we pick 3 tall forwards that can all clunk a contested mark and we dont want to get it in quick .
Its a directive of all coaches imo that they say to their players if you arent absolutely confident you can hit a target forward keep possession and wait for the best option .
That invariably doesnt come because leads arent honoured and we see this possession chip side/backwards crap the structure falls apart because Casboult in particular has lead and lead again now he's been sucked up the ground and the opposition have got numbers back .
So many wasted possessions in footy .
And itsi about the players on the other end too. Making positions to advantage, running in support, or with a shepherd and reliably doing those things. Continuity.

We're still building that from the ground up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/ha...w/news-story/5fa980f46b13d33a90b05062bc939f59

I didn’t think they’d review both but I’m glad. He should get 2-3 weeks for each. But what will happen is a fine for fishers leg break and a 1 week ban due to low impact grading of Cripps’ hit. BUT, I don’t know how they can grade it low as it’s ******* hard to bring down Patty.
Makes you wonder how it could be graded low impact when the punch dropped him for a minute or so.
Should be on other week for the king hit ..the dog waited until Crippa wasn't looking .

And itsi about the players on the other end too. Making positions to advantage, running in support, or with a shepherd and reliably doing those things. Continuity.

We're still building that from the ground up.
Absolutely continuity is huge id just like to see us be a bit more direct and actually give us reason for playing the 3 together .
Atm its pointless there just not getting used enough inside 50.
Imo because we are insistent on playing the possession game that inevitably breaks down in bad positions on the ground .
It worked last year but with the likes of Docherty and Williamson out and so many poor kickers of the ball in the side its been breaking down badly .

deplorable display

Thankgod McKay is atleast playing to give us something to watch along with Charlie and Cripps. How the match committee don't see what I see in McKay concerns me.

With terrible stats
Give me marks inside 50

Perhaps people should focus on our poor spread, DE (turnovers), not stoppages and clearances

A little tit bit, Tigers are ranked last for stoppages

We rate 18th for marks I50, by differential, but perhaps take into account the number of entries. But do you really think that is solely based around clearances?What if after a clearance there are 3 more disposals, yet the ball gets turnover prior to the entry?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 18 v Hawks - There is nothing to say

Remove this Banner Ad

Back