Preview Rd.18 West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyway, absolutely the worst possible scenario for us to have to play an away game against a dud team.

Fages has to almost convince our guys that we are underdogs

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Two very distinct things to deal with.

Firstly us - what happens over there should be completely irrelevant to our group and they will probably be told to ignore it but I’m not sure that works. You get sucked into it and what’s happening and wasting energy. To ignore it would be a mistake in my view. We cannot control what they do or how they respond, only what we do.

As indicated it’s usual for the team to bounce for a number of reasons; fear, relief, freedom a fresh start. If they band together they’ll play at their best, hopefully ours is better but we will have to be at ours.

Two very distinct things to deal with.

Firstly us - what happens over there should be completely irrelevant to our group and they will probably be told to ignore it but I’m not sure that works. You get sucked into it and what’s happening and wasting energy. To ignore it would be a mistake in my view. We cannot control what they do or how they respond, only what we do.

As indicated it’s usual for the team to bounce for a number of reasons; fear, relief, freedom a fresh start. If they band together they’ll play at their best, hopefully ours is better but we will have to be at ours.

Agree.

We will win as long as we bring our A game.

Recognising the circumstances of the situation instead of ignoring them should assist is bring it

Agree.

We will win as long as we bring our A game.

Recognising the circumstances of the situation instead of ignoring them should assist is bring it
Definitely.

The comp is such now that any team that brings its A Game can beat any other team who doesn't.

You can only control what you do but being aware that at some stage of the game they could really fire up and having a plan for that should help.

I just don't think they have it in them at present and things are in disarray over there but they have a lot of old heads who could potentially be a lot better if they start playing well. I suppose.

Yep. We were up 40-3 at one point. Was terrible even with the high of actually playing good football that year.
I hated it because it was against us but it was undoubtably one of the greatest individual performances I have ever seen. It just felt like every time he touched it, Carlton would end up scoring.

OK we'll be facing a team that has sacked a coach so we can expect an upturn in performance. Hodgey hasn't made it easier either by bagging the senior players at West Coast over the sacking. That will light a fire too. So West Coast will have motivation and nothing to lose.

Having said that, if the reported rumours are true that more than a handful of players were texting the board or CEO to get rid of Simpson and there were players in support of Simpson, there maybe some division in the club. They could be an even greater shambles if Simpson decides to coach a farewell game. I doubt he will, I wouldn't.

Regardless, we have to beware of the wounded Eagle. I'm pretty sure Fages will have that drummed into them. Pretty sure the players won't be complacent. As long as we ignore the noise, focus on our game and bring the commitment we've seen over the last 5 weeks, I think we win this.

Starce out is a loss. I've read the suggestions of Brain, Prior or even Beecken to replace him. If Answerth was right, he'd be the man I'd select. Whoever does replace him I think needs to be strong defensively. Prior probably fits that requirement more than the others available. His form in the ressies has been good for a while. Although if Brain is considered up to it I'm not adverse to him playing. Whether it's Prior or Brain, they have to be given the full game. Fages has said we have defensive issues to fix, we can't short ourselves by making them sub.

Lions by 40+.

okay i have gathered the data!

2023 Dew sacked - Suns beat the saints the week after by 26 points at GC the week after.

2023 Hardwick STANDS DOWN - tigers lose by 10 in much improved effort

2022 - North sack Noble. Week after they beat the tigers (who played final). In fairness north only lost to the pies by a kick the week before.

2022 Leon Cameron STANDS DOWN - gws lose to blues by 30 points at home

2019 - brad scott stands down (but was pushed). North beat Richmond (eventual premier) by 37 points!

2019 - alan richardson resigns but only after being told would not be coaching in 2020 so a sacking really - saints beat dogs by 27 points (dogs finished 7th, saints 14th)

2019 - ross lyon sacked by freo - freo (13th) lose to port (10th) playing away.

2019 - Bolton sacked - surely we all remember the rest! Lions finished second that year, blues 16th

Weird one for 2021 - Bucks steps down. Still coaches that week. Monster upset v eventual premier Melbourne. Not including this but another huge increase in performance

Straight sackings - 4 games, 3 wins.

Include the ones in which the coach was pushed 6 games, 5 wins

Genuine stand down coaches who left amicably - 2 games, 0 wins

All coach exit games - 8 games, 5 wins, 3 losses.

Not surprisingly, every game has the sacked side playing one higher on the ladder, given a sacked coach is generally not gonig well. So us being higher than WCE isn't a saviour, it's the standard. North were dire and still won against a finals bound side full of premiership players.

SO WHAT IS THIS SITUATION? feels like a forced out coach to me. that spells serious trouble. And note only Freo played away from home and played poorly. West Coast will be at home. Think of all those fans who had given up on the season. Watching the hawks kick the first couple of goals and just starting to murmur amongst themselves. They will be energised now, excited to see a new chapter. Some fresh players come in desperate to prove themselves.

I was at the carlton match, they started with so much enthusiasm. we really did get a very weird 40 odd point lead. but as soon as the blues kicked a couple the crowd just believed and they stormed all over us
Yep. Love the common sense and rationale you've managed to derive here from the completely irrational behaviour of our fellow human beings.

I'm legit thinking about reactivating my Betfair account specially for this game. The fact I can still get $5.20 on West Coast is remarkable. Money for jam.

Glad I decided not to fly over for this.

OK we'll be facing a team that has sacked a coach so we can expect an upturn in performance. Hodgey hasn't made it easier either by bagging the senior players at West Coast over the sacking. That will light a fire too. So West Coast will have motivation and nothing to lose.

Having said that, if the reported rumours are true that more than a handful of players were texting the board or CEO to get rid of Simpson and there were players in support of Simpson, there maybe some division in the club. They could be an even greater shambles if Simpson decides to coach a farewell game. I doubt he will, I wouldn't.

Regardless, we have to beware of the wounded Eagle. I'm pretty sure Fages will have that drummed into them. Pretty sure the players won't be complacent. As long as we ignore the noise, focus on our game and bring the commitment we've seen over the last 5 weeks, I think we win this.

Starce out is a loss. I've read the suggestions of Brain, Prior or even Beecken to replace him. If Answerth was right, he'd be the man I'd select. Whoever does replace him I think needs to be strong defensively. Prior probably fits that requirement more than the others available. His form in the ressies has been good for a while. Although if Brain is considered up to it I'm not adverse to him playing. Whether it's Prior or Brain, they have to be given the full game. Fages has said we have defensive issues to fix, we can't short ourselves by making them sub.

Lions by 40+.
This is a perfect opportunity for the Lions to show some ruthless intent.

They need to play like they did against Port and Richmond. Put the foot to the floor and don't let it off.

The Eagles are going to come hard and if the Lions **** around they'll lose this game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it matters one way or the other for us. They're going to be up and about either way. Probably more of a question for whoever they're playing next week.
I'm now hoping Simpson coaches for 1 last week. At least with him at the helm, I think the Eagles will be disjointed enough for an easier win.

If an interim coach comes in, the Lions better bring their A+ game.

I think you could see some examples if looking for anything at all re game against Melbourne for the eagles players. One astounding act was when a melbourne player having a shot at goal about 45 metres out and Jamaine Jones was standing the mark and did not raise or move hands at all in the air when melbourne player kicked the ball. Staggering when i watched it live to be honest. No attempt whatsoever to put hands up.
Yes. There will be none of that this Sunday. 😡

Sydney lost to Richmond. Does that rule them out as contenders?
That was very early in the season, completely different circumstances.

We are well and truly on the run in to finals with a jam packed ladder, an unexpected loss could make if very difficult to make finals, we would likely fall out of the top 8 with a loss.

Our team/coaches would be well aware of the sacked coach bump possibility.

It would be so bad if a loss to the Eagles turns out to be the difference between a top 8 sport and not... or even be the reason we missed top 4.

That was very early in the season, completely different circumstances.

We are well and truly on the run in to finals with a jam packed ladder, an unexpected loss could make if very difficult to make finals, we would likely fall out of the top 8 with a loss.

It would be so bad if a loss to the Eagles turns out to be the difference between a top 8 sport and not... or even be the reason we missed top 4.

Yes it would have bad implications but doesn't necessarily reflect worse on the group than any other top team losing to a bottom team

Plus we've been up for a while now, probably due and who knows maybe we'll win the rest of our games afterwards

Clubs seem to play a more dare and carefree game after a coach is let go. The heavy demand for defensive positioning is lessen somewhat for the game - all most like go have some fun. I expect this will happen and the Eagle will be more offensive then they have previously. If we are ready for this then our systems should do the rest.

If we let ourselves get ambushed by a bottom 3 side with this much notice when a win for us is vital it is a shocking sign re our chances of a flag.

A loss would be one of the worst of Fagan's tenure IMO.
I feel like you just know it’s going to happen though.

I flagged weeks ago that they have an elite core group, including three exceptional KPF and two solid KPD (looks like McGovern plays) and throw in Yeo, Kelly and Reid and our general ineptitude in games it’s obvious the opposition will be up and about and it has all the ingredients for the obvious loss.

Of course I hope we win, but I doubt we will and have tipped West Coast accordingly. Sadly, I still don’t trust this group in these sorts of games until our actions consistently proves otherwise.

Im not sure they will though. I mean they weren’t about our form in games pre-bye (never having won one away in like ten or so attempts) or generally playing Hawthorn when they’ve been well below us for the past 4-5 years so this team has history of falling for this type of game. Wish it wasn’t the case, but it is.

Hopefully they set themselves for Jerry’s 150tg because it seems they need reasons to win occasionally if you know what I mean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back