Preview Rd.18 West Coast Eagles vs Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have McKenna in as a dedicated defender and Fletcher dropping in as a defensive wingman when he comes on. I actually think Starcevich is more of an ‘out’ than Payne. I think Reville has the strength, smarts and weapons to play that lockdown role.
Doesn’t have even close to the rank to do it well.

It's pretty simple really - if the mids do their jobs for 4 quarters and the forwards actually lock it in, defense shouldn't be under constant pressure - and the odd time that inexperience shows with Joyce shouldn't be the make or break factor for the game.

It will actually be a good lesson - we have this structure for weeks now most likely in some form or another... team defense has been a bit off for a while and now is as good a time as any to get it sorted.

I don't think anyone is blaming anyone BerryG. It's just perplexing that the same thing's happened 2 years running and as I said there'll be a story there. Most likely it was an op. and therefore miss the whole of '24 or try to nurse him through, as we did last year , and I'm expecting a similar outcome this year.

We're all here to give our honest opinion are we not. Joyce is what we have. It's not ideal .

Pre disposition to low done density maybe. Poor circulation in foot due to previous injury which doesn't deliver the required nutrients in a timely manner.

Could be so many reasons that mean it is a long term management thing.

Build up during the off season but the long season was always going to be a problem.

Or maybe conservative this past off season because didn't want to risk surgery. Maybe surgery this year.

Not really perplexing, so many reasons managing a body performing on the edge of capability struggles sometimes. Think how long it took Berry's shoulders to resolve.

Pre disposition to low done density maybe. Poor circulation in foot due to previous injury which doesn't deliver the required nutrients in a timely manner.

Could be so many reasons that mean it is a long term management thing.

Build up during the off season but the long season was always going to be a problem.

Or maybe conservative this past off season because didn't want to risk surgery. Maybe surgery this year.

Not really perplexing, so many reasons managing a body performing on the edge of capability struggles sometimes. Think how long it took Berry's shoulders to resolve.
That's a good insight Gadzorks.

No doubt we've tried everything we can to get him right.

As a guess I'd say he needs surgery and a good rest. Neither of which fitted into our Playing calendar for 23/4.

But as it's basically hindered us badly for 2 seasons maybe it's time to just get him right and forget about when we'd like him to play.

I do think it was telling that Fagan said earlier this year ( unsure if it was public ) that our biggest need was a KPD.

Has Logan Morris ever played defence in juniors?

He is smart and quick, could be a bit undersized tho.

If we are really strapped and Payne is out he may be an option to go back and play Rayner as the third tall forward.

We can’t play hipwood back, he is too important to our structure forward

I'm anti playing first years in multiple positions at opposite end of the field .

Hard enough to learn the systems. Multi positions can just confuse them and wreck their confidence in their better position.

So watch the coaches who know what they doing, do exactly that. 🤣

Darling dropped

If Darling was allowed to play every round for rest of the season he would've hit 300 in round 24. Bit sad for him if he couldn't get to 300 at Eagles and gets traded somewhere for his final year of contract in 2025. Let's see.

Eagles fans seem happy with a reasonable measure of fresh blood but still a side picked to win. They do have a few inexperienced talls though with McGovern and Darling out. One poster thought Barrass might miss with a personal issue but seems nothing in that.

Something I noticed in our Demons game at the Gabba, Melbourne players ensured they celebrated every single moment with big high fives across multiple players in the vicinity. We are a big first quarter team and they managed to hold us to 25, even at the end of first quarter siren you can see some big high fives going around. As if they had a little milestone in the list which has been ticked off.

Our celebrations in comparison are fairly muted, I'd like to see our players change it. Especially when we are the away team, we won't get that energy from the crowd so we have to create it between the players with our actions. We were doing it well few games back but now it looks like a bit run of the mill acknowledgement unless someone kicks an extraordinary goal or something.

Hope the players come out and celebrate everything, every action on the ground. It may be a minor thing, but on tv it seems create the impression of adding a bit more wind to our sails when we're the away team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great call joshhem by the way. Had the Mickey taken out of them a bit by a few people here before the Melbourne game, but was bang on the money as it turns out.
Personally I just wanted to know where that info had come from, definitely wasn’t trying to take the piss but yeah very good call from the lad

Something I noticed in our Demons game at the Gabba, Melbourne players ensured they celebrated every single moment with big high fives across multiple players in the vicinity. We are a big first quarter team and they managed to hold us to 25, even at the end of first quarter siren you can see some big high fives going around. As if they had a little milestone in the list which has been ticked off.

Our celebrations in comparison are fairly muted, I'd like to see our players change it. Especially when we are the away team, we won't get that energy from the crowd so we have to create it between the players with our actions. We were doing it well few games back but now it looks like a bit run of the mill acknowledgement unless someone kicks an extraordinary goal or something.

Hope the players come out and celebrate everything, every action on the ground. It may be a minor thing, but on tv it seems create the impression of adding a bit more wind to our sails when we're the away team.
Just as a counterpoint and this is a personal dislike of mine and gives me the giggles ,the way players celebrate a goal these days as if they've climbed Mt. Everest is to me cringeworthy. It's often so over the top I'm thinking you must have been really desperate for that goal. And the whole team runs in sometimes . What are they, like twelve years old ?

I realise this will be an unpopular viewpoint because everything's for show these days but as another observation I haven't seen an improvement in performance or capacity to win the next clearance correlate.

Obviously some sort of bonding/coaching instruction that makes them look like try hards.

Just not my go and I understand the fans love reading stuff into it but seeing the players go off like nuts in the outer I suppose adds a bit of spectacle and gives BT something to talk about. As for the silly songs that blare out after a goal another Americanisation on which I'll make no comment.

I'm anti playing first years in multiple positions at opposite end of the field .

Hard enough to learn the systems. Multi positions can just confuse them and wreck their confidence in their better position.

So watch the coaches who know what they doing, do exactly that. 🤣
much rather Joyce back then Morris. We know that lockdown role is not Andrew's preferred game but perhaps with Payne out he may have to take the KPF. He would certainly have to do that if a young 19 year old was back, so Joyce is a much better option.

much rather Joyce back then Morris. We know that lockdown role is not Andrew's preferred game but perhaps with Payne out he may have to take the KPF. He would certainly have to do that if a young 19 year old was back, so Joyce is a much better option.
I really doubt Morris can be played in the back half. He's running out of gas in the front half let alone shown any attributes of a defender at this point.

That's a good insight Gadzorks.

No doubt we've tried everything we can to get him right.

As a guess I'd say he needs surgery and a good rest. Neither of which fitted into our Playing calendar for 23/4.

But as it's basically hindered us badly for 2 seasons maybe it's time to just get him right and forget about when we'd like him to play.

I do think it was telling that Fagan said earlier this year ( unsure if it was public ) that our biggest need was a KPD.
I cant recall exact games and details and relevant media and BF posters, but IIRC he injured a foot/ankle about two thirds into last season. Kept playing and form dropped off and then according to media did his other ankle in semi against Port and had an operation in the off season. Has looked hampered this year at times, one game about 6 weeks ago seemed to be struggling.

Perhaps needs an operation, but with Gardiner and Doedee out, decision was probably made to keep playing him. I agree with you in that whatever it is, get it fixed because when fully fit he allows Andrews to intercept and play with a bit more freedom.

It's pretty simple really - if the mids do their jobs for 4 quarters and the forwards actually lock it in, defense shouldn't be under constant pressure - and the odd time that inexperience shows with Joyce shouldn't be the make or break factor for the game.

It will actually be a good lesson - we have this structure for weeks now most likely in some form or another... team defense has been a bit off for a while and now is as good a time as any to get it sorted.
100%, mids dominate and forwards lock it in, with wingers coming back to help defence. Berry and to a lesser extent Fletcher are good at this.
Eagles might be up for the game for the first Q because of the sacking, but apart from a little spirit in the 2nd half last week, they have been dreadful the past few weeks. We should win by 6+ goals, especially with McGovern not intercepting.

Darren Up-and-about here! I’m feeling good about this game.
Yes, Payne out is disappointing, but Joyce can plug a hole.
Sure Starce is a big loss, but either Brain or Prior can play a role.
Our defence is weakened but if our mids fire, and our forwards click, we should win.
West Coast’s coach sacking is scary and they may rally but if we are serious about finals, we should be good enough.
The trip to Perth is long and tiring but we are still in the premiership window and good teams don’t drop these games.
I’m confident.

I’ve been confident before anD they’ve let me down.
We are not really playing our best footy.
Eagles have nothing to lose.
We have a tendency to get drunk on our own bath water.
Maybe I shouldn’t be confident.

This is a serious danger game!

Darren Downunder signing off in fear and trepidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back