Preview Rd 20 Geelong v North Sat July 27 2024 145 pm @ Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some were saying Mannagh, Neale and Clohesy weren't up to it on VFL form not so long ago.
As is their right. In the end, every player on the list can't be given the same opportunities, though. So the M.C. is charged with the responsibility of deciding who gets a shot and how much latitude they are given to develop at the level, based on what they perceive their ceiling to be.

Taking the three players you've mentioned as case studies, though...

Mannagh actually exemplifies a M.C. that has been prepared to work with a player and bring him through when they think he's ready and/or the time is right. And the evidence of his last few weeks in the ones has been positive in that respect.

Neale is clearly never competing with Hardie for a place in the team, so there's no currency in evaluating the difference between their pathways to senior selection.

And Clohesy potentially exemplifies the strongest example of the M.C. exercising nuanced discretion in their handling of the list. He's directly competing with Hardie for a role in the midfield, putting up strong numbers in the twos as Hardie also has, and doing that with several less years of footy development on the clock. On that basis, I'm totally fine with Ted edging him out if it's down to the wire at selection between them.

So I don't think any of these players demonstrate a huge discontinuity in selection policy at the club. Also, no matter how much angst the decisions around Hardie have caused for some here, I would argue the M.C. is miles in front over the course of time in getting the calls on personnel generally right. As is evidenced by the scarcity of players who've left the Cats for 'more opportunities' and made a real go of it elsewhere.

Doesn't mean they've nailed the decision on Hardie, of course. And if he gets to another AFL club and starts burning it up, I won't be hesitant to declare our management of him a bust. For the moment, though, it's simply sensible to reserve judgment on that question, and accept that the M.C. has more compelling reasons than outright hatred for not preferring Hardie over others to this point in time.

Last edited:

I'm firmly with Finknottle. I highly suspect those that don't rate Hardie haven't seen him play this year. He was clearly better than Bruhn last weekend. I'm not arguing that Hardie should've been selected ahead of Bruhn this week (purely due to age profile), but he definitely should have been selected ahead of Parfitt last week.

Maybe he won't be up to AFL level if he gets a go, but we know for certain that Parfitt isn't AFL level. If we're given games to guys like Parfitt and Bews, then Hardie certainly deserves his chance.

Surely deserves a crack off the back of sustained high level performances in the VFL. I’m not convinced his game will translate to AFL but I’d prefer we don’t die wondering.

Having witnessed Billy Goggin as my favourite player before Turner then Ablett snr. I agree Billy's was a beauty.
BUT.
Goal 4 in this package is just freakish, ahead of its time, and huge degree of difficulty.
If it was any other player, you select any one of these goals, but this master made it look simple.

Is it the throw-in goal?

If so, my favourite of all time; saw it live too.

Hes probably the second best contested mark on the list and decent by foot. Massive tank.

Slow as treacle though and I think maybe the gym program has added mass and slowed him down further because he's definitely worse this year.

If he's this slow then I would say he's a failure in the midfield but you keep adding mass to that 194cm frame then you could end up with a really good key or intercept defender or even a KPF who get involves at ground level.
I’d be interested to see him trial in some key position spots.
Who do you have as the other best contested marks at the club?
Hawkins, Stewart, Henry, Rohan, Jezza, Danger, Guthrie, Neale, are a few I can think of are much better marks than Knevitt.

As for BP. I only comment on his ability, and lately sit here with a smug face knowing I was ahead of the curve and got the call right years before the rest caught on. Which is relevant given you literally just said this about Hardie "Nobody's questioned his character, effort, or anything out of line.". Nor have I.
this is kinda sad. Proud of hating a player for years before he started playing poorly, like do you want us to congratulate you for that?
Genuinely, you're a good poster with good insights and there are plenty of other threads/comments where I fully back your opinion but this is just not it.

Parf overall is a better player than Mannagh, although not currently in form. People forget his really good games, and there were plenty. Every time he looked to be on the verge of big things- injury.
Recent issues, not sure what's happened, but playing VFL most of the season does not help
Nothing wrong with being loyal to Parfitt. I have supported him in previous years but after promising early years he stopped improving and actually regressed. I've been watching his VFL games, apart from the good game 2 weeks ago he has been mediocre at best. He has lost the speed he had and that includes the speed of his decision making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's a 27 year old mid-season draft pick who can't get a game.

Sometimes a spade is just a spade, and you don't need to know every nitty gritty detail to understand what's going on.

Nobody's questioned his character, effort, or anything out of line. They've just said it's highly likely VFL is his ceiling, and that's a reasonable opinion off the evidence we have.

I also seem to remember you branding Neale a "VFL standard forward" to go with your continuous Parfitt bashing.

You can't keep picking and choosing the standard you hold others to compared with yourself.
Not quite in Donald Trump's league KG but you are a bit loose with your facts. Hardie (DOB 05-Sep-1997) is still 26 as is Mannagh (DOB 06-Aug-1997). If age is such a handicap then Mannagh should be in your firing line along with the other 14 players on the AFL list who are older than both of them. And James Podsiadly, what were they thinking!

Last edited:
I’d be interested to see him trial in some key position spots.
Who do you have as the other best contested marks at the club?
Hawkins, Stewart, Henry, Rohan, Jezza, Danger, Guthrie, Neale, are a few I can think of are much better marks than Knevitt.
Stewart. Hawkins was (RIP brother). Danger and Zuth would be pretty close with Knevitt. I guess second is a stretch but I would have him top 4.

I think Henry pinches off intercepts more than contest and i would trust Knevitt in one on ones more. Neale is getting better at contested making but I wouldn't call it a strength yet. Jez doesn't really play that way. SDK has flashes of brilliance but drops a few. Stengle very good for his size but you don't want to be relying on that.

Stewart. Hawkins was (RIP brother). Danger and Zuth would be pretty close with Knevitt. I guess second is a stretch but I would have him top 4.

I think Henry pinches off intercepts more than contest and i would trust Knevitt in one on ones more. Neale is getting better at contested making but I wouldn't call it a strength yet. Jez doesn't really play that way. SDK has flashes of brilliance but drops a few. Stengle very good for his size but you don't want to be relying on that.
Pound for pound, Zuthrie and Stengle are Geelong's best contested marks.

This year:

Henry, Zuthrie: 18
Stewart, J-Kol: 17
Jack Henry is underrated I think. He often gets jobs on taller forwards and apart from occasional brain fades he is pretty solid. The Geelong backline has had a tough year with our midfield woes. Not just opposing midfields hammering the ball in but often getting a lot of good looks.

this is kinda sad. Proud of hating a player for years before he started playing poorly, like do you want us to congratulate you for that?
Genuinely, you're a good poster with good insights and there are plenty of other threads/comments where I fully back your opinion but this is just not it.
And to be frank, I think I get a rough ride on here for my views on him. They haven't waivered for years. He'd have a couple good games and I'd get tagged to show I was wrong, as would 1-2 others.

Fast forward to 2024 and that unwaivering opinion of just 1 player on the list has come to fruition. Twice left to wither on the vine at trade/FA time and twice no takers and now in 2024 likely to move on in one way or another having shown no discernible improvement, and still holding the same crucial flaws holding him back from becoming elite.

Maybe smug was the wrong word, there's definitely an element of F.U. with the middle fingers pointed firmly upwards at a few who've not been able to handle that. A weird phenomena as players like Stringer, Smedts, Parsons and Murdoch would cop a barrage of ridicule, scorn and dismay at their performances. And for a lot of years so did Blicavs, Stanley and Z.Guthrie. Yet with BP it is somehow sacrilege, as if you've just killed the baby Jesus.

The game tomorrow is definitely a danger game for Geelong. North will win the ruck/midfield battle. It will be interesting to see if Cameron is in the mood to play.

a vulgar display of power.
Luv the fact that not only is he brushing of the Pies defenders but also Robert Scott as well.... LOL

Go Catters

Gameday is open.. early but open.

Go Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back