Autopsy Rd 22 Blues go down but lots to like

Remove this Banner Ad

One debutant a week is fine
I'm so keen to see what Harry and Charlie can do up forward with a full season together next year.

Those 2 key pillars are the hardest to find in this game, and I feel like we have them locked down.
Will be brutal if we can get the ball in there 50% quicker and 60% more often.

Both of these objectives are achievable in 2019 and very likely in 2020.

**** that Bontempelli flop was a good giggle. Bustled out of the way by Jed Lamb's massive frame = good grief. Deadset game over from there.

I'm bullish about TDK for whatever reason. Presented strongly, leading patterns are good, competed well around the ground and linked up where required, but needs a heap of work on his ruck craft. Was a genuine liability in there at times.

LOB's game has grown tremendously over the second half of the year. Reacts really quickly, disposes well, very unselfish and reads the game really well too. Was involved in quite a few very good passages of play. Big future, and I'm excited to see how he builds with another pre-season and some additional size. Would love him to play as a full-time outside mid.

What's noticeable is we've got a lot of young players who are talented and have huge potential, but also some glaring deficiencies: Marchbank's kicking skills, SPS's brainfades, TDK going too early and conceding the ruck contest, Dow being a little overzealous in taking players on at his current body size... These things will get ironed out over time with some more senior experience and some self-awareness in knowing your limitations as a footballer. It'll come.

Gee tell ya what. Eddie mguire seemed a bit perplexed at some of the decisions by the umps today and seemed frustrated on some of the decisions by the umps... reffering to lamb call (hit bonts back after coping soft jaw hit). And silvagni spin out of tackle then deemed holding the ball with 2 on him. Clear win to silvagni actually trying to get the ball forward eventually holding up play with 2 on him and gets called holding

One thing I’ve noticed which has become a bit of a theme throughout the season is that when teams have a well organised forward zone (or whatever you want to call it) we really struggle moving the ball out of half-back, particularly when we kick the ball around, going sideways etc.

Conversely when we move the ball quickly and directly that’s when we can get into a bit of space and can get through the zone and give our forwards a chance.

Thought we genuinely looked quite good in parts today when we were able to move the ball incisively and took the game on. When we slowed it up though it’s when we turned the ball over and they were able to score.

I don’t know anything about tactics really but think it’s pretty clear us chipping the ball around doesn’t do us any good.

Is it just me or does it look like harry doesn’t kick right thru the ball?
He should almost bust that sherrin from a distance but doesn’t have near the penetration of CC.
Also in regard to Harry...does our team know how tall he is?
Instead of putting it up they try & hit him with darts that then get spoiled....
Let him extend those arms....they won’t stop him.

There has never been an issue. He's young and has been injured

Needed to work on his defensive side and producing for 4 quarters. He is and getting better. Bolton wasn't going to play him until he got a block of training under him and fixed a few things. IMO today was big step forward in so many areas. Loved his work rate.

The rumours about attitude etc were absolute BS.

Still young and needs a big pre season but he is something special
Something special
He is awesome and his ceiling looks very high

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I’ve noticed which has become a bit of a theme throughout the season is that when teams have a well organised forward zone (or whatever you want to call it) we really struggle moving the ball out of half-back, particularly when we kick the ball around, going sideways etc.

Conversely when we move the ball quickly and directly that’s when we can get into a bit of space and can get through the zone and give our forwards a chance.

Thought we genuinely looked quite good in parts today when we were able to move the ball incisively and took the game on. When we slowed it up though it’s when we turned the ball over and they were able to score.

I don’t know anything about tactics really but think it’s pretty clear us chipping the ball around doesn’t do us any good.

If you keep playing on instinct you will be better at it .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really getting annoyed re talk about Weitering.Has he become our whipping boy?Has hardly no backline support due to others being injured,has been asked to play a different role because of that plus has had no continuity yet some people here bag him all the time.
His lack of speed and agility is a worry.

Loved watching the proper Navy Blue jumper out there today. Should be all we ever wear. What it means is underestimated.

Navy Blue jumpers and MCG home games should be part of our rebuild
Only saw some highlights but I noticed this as well along with all the supporters behind the goals with their large navy blue Pom poms...looked great....you wanna be there amongst them

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 22 Blues go down but lots to like

Remove this Banner Ad

Back