Preview Rd 22 - Geelong V Saints - Sat Aug 14 2021- 435 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
did they announce no crowds or anything?
No crowds this weekend - someone on FB said Sutton won't allow crowds, though this puts the decision Andrews.

Not a surprising decision for this week considering the new case numbers are still in the 20s and they've been continually added new exposure sites - fingers crossed the numbers start improving soon as that will likely give us the best chance for a crowd against Melbourne.

*The Premier has banned crowds attending Geelong’s home clash against St Kilda this weekend, as discussions continue between the WA government and the AFL over shifting the finals series to Perth.

No crowds this weekend - someone on FB said Sutton won't allow crowds, though this puts the decision Andrews.

Not a surprising decision for this week considering the new case numbers are still in the 20s and they've been continually added new exposure sites - fingers crossed the numbers start improving soon as that will likely give us the best chance for a crowd against Melbourne.

*The Premier has banned crowds attending Geelong’s home clash against St Kilda this weekend, as discussions continue between the WA government and the AFL over shifting the finals series to Perth.

**** that, dont want to be playing any finals in Perth!!!

Tuohy will miss the rest of the H&A season :cry:

Not a surprise that Tuohy will miss the h&a season - only 2 games left, so never long enough to return from a hamstring issue

Hopefully he's good to go for finals

Saints supporters have been passing the whacky tobaccy around on their board.

Apparently Hawkins is a "spud" and they only need to worry about the fact that he is big, and pushes people around. Cameron leads all day and they just need to play someone on him who can run with him all day.

Ok then. Interesting in depth analysis.

Apparently Hawkins is a "spud" and they only need to worry about the fact that he is big, and pushes people around. Cameron leads all day and they just need to play someone on him who can run with him all day.

Are we the only board/team that don't viciously lay into opposition players before a game? Class seems to be at a premium around here atm...

I think the last 2 weeks we have missed Atkins run and attack on the ball, i think he is in our best 22 easy now
Spot on. Really noticed his absence down back lately, not only does he do a great job mopping up ground balls, but also offers great run and carry and has become quite adapt at it as the seasons gone on, displaying great speed and evasive skills to rarely get caught holding the ball.

Are we the only board/team that don't viciously lay into opposition players before a game? Class seems to be at a premium around here atm...

Not sure that will change anytime soon. Unfortunately any online forum will attract the nuffy brigade in amongst those who just apply a bit of balance. Every club has them - Geelong is no different.

Some of the personal remarks made against players do go a bit far - this board is no different. If a few posters met a few of the players concerned, they'd no doubt change their perceptions pretty quickly.

I learned my lesson many years ago at a Geelong game. Being a bit young (and stupid) I spent most of the first half directing some feedback at a certain Geelong player. At half time a pleasant middle aged woman turned and walked towards me to kindly ask that I be a bit more respectful ....... it was the players mum. Never did it again.

Not sure that will change anytime soon. Unfortunately any online forum will attract the nuffy brigade in amongst those who just apply a bit of balance. Every club has them - Geelong is no different.

Some of the personal remarks made against players do go a bit far - this board is no different. If a few posters met a few of the players concerned, they'd no doubt change their perceptions pretty quickly.

I learned my lesson many years ago at a Geelong game. Being a bit young (and stupid) I spent most of the first half directing some feedback at a certain Geelong player. At half time a pleasant middle aged woman turned and walked towards me to kindly ask that I be a bit more respectful ....... it was the players mum. Never did it again.
Who was the player?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu** that, dont want to be playing any finals in Perth!!!

Clearly I have a vested interest in a WA Finals Series but in all honestly we play Optus very , very well.
It's a similar size to the G with slightly narrower width - more like an oval than a circle.

Having seen us live the last 3 times over here we set up extremely well behind the footy and have enough space to find targets by foot which suits when we want to play possession. We also have used the corridor option with speedy ball movement at times and set up high quality F50 entries as a result.
Tom plays very well over here as we are able to find him 1 on 1 a lot. A fit Cameron would also love the open spaces at Optus.
I'm optimistic :moustache:

Clearly I have a vested interest in a WA Finals Series but in all honestly we play Optus very , very well.
It's a similar size to the G with slightly narrower width - more like an oval than a circle.

Having seen us live the last 3 times over here we set up extremely well behind the footy and have enough space to find targets by foot which suits when we want to play possession. We also have used the corridor option with speedy ball movement at times and set up high quality F50 entries as a result.
Tom plays very well over here as we are able to find him 1 on 1 a lot. A fit Cameron would also love the open spaces at Optus.

Unless we end up playing West Coast 🤦‍♂️

spot-on; you just never know who you're near. Had a similar experience but I was praising the player.

Unless we end up playing West Coast 🤦‍♂️

Point taken :) - but we had them on ice last year until 3 or 4 horrendous turnovers in the 3rd off half back ( Sav had 2 ! ) gave them easy goals.
Even in the year Gaz did his hammy at 3/4 time Fogarty had 2 easy chances to put us 20 or so up in the last 1/4 but fluffed them both :(

Point taken :) - but we had them on ice last year until 3 or 4 horrendous turnovers in the 3rd off half back ( Sav had 2 ! ) gave them easy goals.
Even in the year Gaz did his hammy at 3/4 time Fogarty had 2 easy chances to put us 20 or so up in the last 1/4 but fluffed them both :(
What's the feeling towards the cats by the general footy public over in the west? Would we be likely to have any of the neutral support going our way say over the dogs or dees or port? Or are we as hated there as in any other part of the country?

Still bitter about the hit-the-post-goal in 2009 ;)

I know he's had very little continuity in his footy. But I wouldn't be disappointed to see Simpson come in for a run in the ones this week. Appeals to me as a genuine finals-quality player more than Clark, Narkle or Holmes at this point. His versatility to play effectively in either the front half or to go through the middle is also a real positive.

Probably very unlikely, I know. But I could certainly see us getting more out of him in the last weeks of 2021 than the three others I've named here.

We actually play both Optus and AO pretty well. But that aside, I really don't understand why the AFL would move the majority of teams to the other side of the country unless large amounts of taxpayers money is the lure (which I suspect might be the case).

The majority of sides in the top 8 will most likely be eastern based states - accounting for Lions and Swans + Melb teams. As well as this, Eagles will likely be lower ranked in 7th-8th (if they make it), and Port are the lowest ranked (most likely) of the top 4 clubs - finishing 4th. By comparison, finals and GF were Brisbane last year, but the Lions at least finished second on the ladder.

By all means play finals and even the GF interstate in need ...... but if the competition is going to maintain any degree of legitimacy and not be viewed as compromised, then surely the AFL needs to make sure the top 4 sides from Vic (Cats Dees Dogs) play at a neutral venue, and if they keep winning, they maintain that advantage. Tasmania has allowed crowds for some time ..... there will be two AFL standard grounds sitting there empty. Dare I add the fact that Geelong is regional and not currently in lockdown. If ever the AFL was to allow a 'home' final in the first or second week then this is the year.

And before they spout garbage about the MCG contract ........... clearly that's not 100% of their consideration if they're prepared to move the entire finals series to interstate grounds? The precedent is 2020 - and I hope Geelong are lobbying very hard for some balance in the argument - certainly in week one. Let's assume for a minute that Geelong (2nd) played Port (3rd) in week one ...... you could hardly send Geelong to Port.

I did it at the races once. I was in the members and we were discussing the form of a horse and I said to just wait and see if that dodgy campaigner Smerdon backs it. Lady standing next to us was his partner.

We actually play both Optus and AO pretty well. But that aside, I really don't understand why the AFL would move the majority of teams to the other side of the country unless large amounts of taxpayers money is the lure (which I suspect might be the case).

The majority of sides in the top 8 will most likely be eastern based states - accounting for Lions and Swans + Melb teams. As well as this, Eagles will likely be lower ranked in 7th-8th (if they make it), and Port are the lowest ranked (most likely) of the top 4 clubs - finishing 4th. By comparison, finals and GF were Brisbane last year, but the Lions at least finished second on the ladder.

By all means play finals and even the GF interstate in need ...... but if the competition is going to maintain any degree of legitimacy and not be viewed as compromised, then surely the AFL needs to make sure the top 4 sides from Vic (Cats Dees Dogs) play at a neutral venue, and if they keep winning, they maintain that advantage. Tasmania has allowed crowds for some time ..... there will be two AFL standard grounds sitting there empty. Dare I add the fact that Geelong is regional and not currently in lockdown. If ever the AFL was to allow a 'home' final in the first or second week then this is the year.

And before they spout garbage about the MCG contract ........... clearly that's not 100% of their consideration if they're prepared to move the entire finals series to interstate grounds? The precedent is 2020 - and I hope Geelong are lobbying very hard for some balance in the argument - certainly in week one. Let's assume for a minute that Geelong (2nd) played Port (3rd) in week one ...... you could hardly send Geelong to Port.

Surely we wouldn't really be that surprised to see something like this happen, though. Remember, it's all about crowds (and stadium deals, and signage, and 'reasons').

Except when Gil comes out and says it's all about the integrity of home finals...

🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back