Preview Rd 23 Geelong V St Kilda Say Aug 17 2024 730 pm @ Deadpool Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guthrie shouldn't even be considered for this year get him 100% for preseason and hope he can stay fit in 2025

We're up to our necks in the premiership race and when fit he's one of our best players. It would be mad to put a line through him if there's any chance of him playing a role even as sub come finals.

We're up to our necks in the premiership race and when fit he's one of our best players. It would be mad to put a line through him if there's any chance of him playing a role even as sub come finals.
There’s huge question marks on his ability to come back at all let alone this year. If he can play footy this year I’m sure he’s doing all he can to make himself available.

When he played earlier this year he did not look capable of playing in the midfield. Maybe he could play a role down back in place of Duncan or Tuohy.
But it would be a huge risk to play him first up in a final when he’s barely played for two years and was poor when he did play this year.

If we had a better list I don’t think he’d be considered at all but it’s only that the other veterans games have been inconsistent this year that would open any spot for him.

There’s huge question marks on his ability to come back at all let alone this year. If he can play footy this year I’m sure he’s doing all he can to make himself available.

When he played earlier this year he did not look capable of playing in the midfield. Maybe he could play a role down back in place of Duncan or Tuohy.
But it would be a huge risk to play him first up in a final when he’s barely played for two years and was poor when he did play this year.

If we had a better list I don’t think he’d be considered at all but it’s only that the other veterans games have been inconsistent this year that would open any spot for him.

I think he takes Tuohy's spot in defence next season

That was a great game, even though we lost.

The one that riles me up a lot more though is the qualifying final in 2010, when Lingy kicked the winning goal only for it to be disallowed because of a BS free kick paid against Moons. We lost pretty convincingly to Collingwood in the PF that year, so maybe they had our measure anyway, but I reckon the finals could have turned out quite differently if that one had gone the other way and we'd gotten a week off and then faced the Dogs in the PF.

I know that following his broken thumb, he's basically always played with that thumb/hand strapped - can't remember him playing without strapping

Not sure if it's better or worse same hand versus different hand, but if it is the same hand on each occasion, then you can start to see reasons to why things have somewhat stalled with him - repeated injuries of that nature, especially if it's the same hand would start to play on ones mind

Very good post; I've speculated about this too.

Really an Annus Horribilis for poor Cuthrie
Literally 10 seconds into first practice game and has struggled to get going with further set backs

My first young memory of STK and indeed football, was being taken to Waverley (I think) for a final (I think) Unsure because I was so scared of Carl Ditterich absolutely smashing everyone, and my Uncle swearing at him, I reckon I've repressed it all yet remembered his name.

He was a man mountain, a star and rough as guts on the field. Don't know what happened after the 78-year-old was charged by Victoria Police’s Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team for historical offences (this year).

EDit: 1966 Ditterich was ruled out of the Grand Final after being suspended the week prior. STK beat Coll by 1 point. And that's the last Cup they ever held.

Last edited:
Playing Guthrie in an important game this season in any capacity would be insane.

My first young memory of STK and indeed football, was being taken to Waverley (I think) for a final (I think) Unsure because I was so scared of Carl Ditterich absolutely smashing everyone, and my Uncle swearing at him, I reckon I've repressed it all yet remembered his name.

He was a man mountain, a star and rough as guts on the field. Don't know what happened after the 78-year-old was charged by Victoria Police’s Sexual Offences and Child Abuse Investigation Team for historical offences (this year).

EDit: 1966 Ditterich was ruled out of the Grand Final after being suspended the week prior. STK beat Coll by 1 point. And that's the last Cup they ever held.
Is the wizard cup a joke to you?

Don't answer that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong History at Docklands

“Despite the most recent result, Geelong hold the highest win percentage of any team in AFL history at Marvel Stadium winning 66.5% of their games since the venue started hosting AFL games in 2000.

From 103 matches at the Docklands, the Cats have won 68 games and have scored over 100 points on 59 different occasions to hold a strong record.

Sydney is the only other team to hold a win percentage of 60% or greater at the stadium, with Geelong seeming to like the faster paced game under the roof.”

Sorry, tried to paste hyperlink eleventy seven times 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back