Preview Rd 24 Geelong v West Coast Sat Aug 23 2024 145pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My boy from way back when no else believed in him I saw his strengths early on

Kudos. You must be the only one. I remember the angst and the little league name calling from game days, and guilty as charged.
More power to Zuth, and a little thing that GFC is big on- development.
Hardie and VFL watchers need to keep that in mind. As Scott says, we're not morons.

Our best chance of top 2 sounds like it needs to include the Saints to roll Carlton ( to truly give the dockers something to play for)

Cats win by ~75 points
Dogs win by 15 points or more
Saints beat blues to keep freo alive
Freo goes hard and wins by 24 to 30 points..

Think that would put our % better than Port.

Again unlikely, but not unrealistic.

Let's smash the Eagles then feet up and watch Sunday.
It's not that far fetched; the following more or less sees us move to second - $31 is hardly lotto-like odds...

1724131678514.png

Kudos. You must be the only one. I remember the angst and the little league name calling from game days, and guilty as charged.
More power to Zuth, and a little thing that GFC is big on- development.
Hardie and VFL watchers need to keep that in mind. As Scott says, we're not morons.
I was pretty vocal back then but youā€™re right it was a tough few years for him on this board before he filled out a little bit and cemented his spot

It's just come to my attention that we've got another milestone on Saturday, and also from one of our much maligned players

Following Allen Christensen's move to Brisbane in 2014 in exchange for pick 21, we forwarded that pick to St Kilda for a then 23yr old utility, Rhys Stanley

After being overlooked for our round 1 clash in 2015, he was a late call up our round 2 match against Fremantle, making his debut in the Hoops at KP (photo below is from the Club's announcement of the late change & Rhys's debut)

1724135799794.jpeg

He played only the 8 matches in his debut season, and just as he looked to be forming a ruck partnership with Blicavs, he went down with a season ending foot injury in our Rnd 12 match against Port Adelaide

Over the next 4 seasons he'd share the ruck duties with Zac Smith, and questions were often asked as to whom was our best #1 ruck option and how they really paired together. When Zac returned to the GC following the 2019 season, the ruck role again became Rhys's to take ownership of

Often the frustration of fans, Rhys could look the world beater against AA calibre rucks and a week later against a debutant bwould look like a player called up from the GDFL in desperation as he was made to look silly

On 24 September 22, Stanley achieved the ultimate success of an AFL premiership and in doing so he became the 22nd former St Kilda player to achieve that feat - more than the number of St Kilda premierships players (info in tweet below)

1724137608018.jpeg

1724137670957.jpeg

One would be forgiven if thinking that barely 6 weeks ago Rhys may not have reached this milestone as he found himself in the VFL while the coaches tweaked our senior midfield set up & what it could look like without Stanley or Conway

So while he's maligned, he'll forever be a premiership player - congrats to Rhys on 150 games in the Hoops

The Cats take on the Eagles at 1.45pm on Saturday at GMHBA Stadium in their final game for the 2024 home and away season. Tickets are available via Ticketmaster.

Make sure you collect your Tom Hawkins face mask outside the ground and be in your seats by 1pm for the chance to win 1 of 50 giveaways!

Iā€™m really intrigued to see the crowd reaction for Harley this week heā€™s been getting booed every time we play a away this season, would be bloody funny if the crowd gives him a big cheer when he gets his first possession, considering he was a Geelong fan growing up and would undoubtedly request a trade to Geelong if he ever leaves the eaglesšŸ˜‚

Any thoughts on trialing Stengle in the midfield this weekend? He has been used through the middle on various occasions throughout the season. May not be a big body but he has footy brilliance and we could do with a bit of creativity.
Not big but he's strong in the body - as you can see when he's in a one on one.

Reckon he's probably the densest (mass wise) player in the league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Iā€™m really intrigued to see the crowd reaction for Harley this week heā€™s been getting booed every time we play a away this season, would be bloody funny if the crowd gives him a big cheer when he gets his first possession, considering he was a Geelong fan growing up and would undoubtedly request a trade to Geelong if he ever leaves the eaglesšŸ˜‚
Geelong don't tend to boo anyone so can't see him getting booed at all. You're probably closer to the money in that he'll get a warm reception

Congrats to our latest milestone player when this week, AusKick kid Zach Guthrie will play game #100

He really is a player who's grown up before our eyes

View attachment 2085468

View attachment 2085463

During his first 50 games, there was often remarks or questions along the lines that Zach was getting games only to appease older brother Cam, that his spot on the list was due to his brother and that during games Cam would look out for him to help boost younger brothers stats

His coming of age game came in his 5th season but just his 29th game, against North Melbourne down in Hobart, Round 20 2021 - 28 disposals, 13 marks & 11 intercepts. When the coaches votes were released for that match, he shared the best on ground honours with older brother Cam, both collecting 8 coaches votes (though Cam also collected the 3 Brownlow votes to Zach's none...piss poor umpires)

21 games later & his 54th match overall, he celebrated the ultimate prize in football, winning the 2022 premiership alongside his brother

View attachment 2085466

View attachment 2085464

Now 46 games later he's about to run out for game #100 - and while so many of his first 54 games were played alongside his brother, since our premiership win, it's only been just the 10 matches. And while it's no doubt been a frustrating time for Cam, this has also allowed Zach to step out of his older brothers shadow & becoming the super solid, ever reliable backman we're seeing today

And what better way to celebrate his milestone than with signing a further 3-year extension which was announced yesterday - playing through to 2028 at least, will have this once former rookie well on his way to 200+ games in the Hoops
Everyone always forgets the best Zuthrie photo going around:

1000008592.jpg

Anyone that boos in 18/19-year-old kid for zero reason would be a complete moron.

Any thoughts on trialing Stengle in the midfield this weekend? He has been used through the middle on various occasions throughout the season. May not be a big body but he has footy brilliance and we could do with a bit of creativity.
I don't think he wants to play midfield. When StKilda offered him a big contract it was with the intention of turning him into a midfielder

The West Coast Eagles will be without key defenders Jeremy McGovern and Tom Barrass for Saturdayā€™s season-finale against Geelong.

Jeremy Cameron and Shannon Neale like this post.

Jeremy Cameron and Shannon Neale like this post.

Reckon Ollie Henry and/or Gary Rohan like it more - if WCE is missing 2 key defenders, I'd imagine the players that'd likely normally go to our 3rd & 4th options up forward are suddenly having to step up to our main guys

Henry may suddenly not be getting double teamed and dealing with a defender like Wilkie

I know this isn't going to happen so don't all laugh at me. And yes it is silly in many ways...

BUT.

Furphy

Stanley this finals series is actually important for us this finals series, as unfortunately Conway gone for the season. Stanley last 3 weeks has been good šŸ‘.. I wouldn't mind resting him this week against West Coast as his running on only fumes as his body is worn out. And we need to keep him preserved.

I wouldn't giving Furphy a crack, ( not that his earned it ) but would be good for his development and looking after Stanley.

I can remember we chucked Blitz in against Hawthorn on Easter Monday in his first game and would of been the last guy we would of picked but we didn't have any other ruckman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back