Preview Rd 24 Geelong v West Coast Sat Aug 23 2024 145pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoyney on SEN says if Stewart has been tagged we are 0-6 and when not tagged we are 12-2. Ross the boss had stocker on him from the 2nd quarter and Stewart had 12 disposals…
If you’re an opposition club just tag Stewart….. but some don’t .
We get scored heavily against when Stewart has been tagged according to Hoyney….
Scott has pulled the Stewart to midfield shift , but we need more than that and the other defenders need to get organized.
Hoyney also says cats most vulnerable team to go out in straight sets.
Considering only 4 teams can do that, and we're highly likely to finish 4th...it's not exactly groundbreaking analysis.

I think that's an understatement. And they didn't have the midfield depth then that they possess now.

So I would be certainly happy not to play them there at this point in time.
In fairness, it was an era where we could've played that badly against anybody in a final, particularly week one.

I don't think it was uniquely a Port in Adelaide issue.

Something is telling me we need to get Port Adelaide as I think they are feeling the pressure as a club and we can seize on that.
We also play the Adelaide oval well.
We might play AO well, but our record in finals matches and big matches at the ground isn't that good. With our declining rucks and too old or inexperienced midfield, it's alot for our fwds and backs to win it back or score when it counts when in range.

Last edited:
Saw this little tidbit on the SEN website article about the worst kicks in the league according to Champion Data:

“Of the 11 worst kicks for goal this year, eight of them are going to feature in September.

“That’s Ginnivan, Jeremy Cameron, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan, Jye Amiss, Sam Darcy – who fought back on the weekend, while Joe Daniher, Eric Hipwood and Kai Lohmann are hit and miss.

Backs up what we've been saying Mr Meow about how Jez hasn't just been poor in front of goal this year by his own standards, he's been poor by anyone's standards.

He needs to be better than that if we're to have any impact in September.

I don't think we'll get an announcement in season, had Hawkins not been injured we probably wouldn't have gotten one from him either
- his book release was interesting timing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We might play AO well, but our record in finals matches and big matches at the ground isn't that good. With our declining rucks and too old or inexperienced midfield, it's alot for our fwds and backs to win it back or score when it counts when in range.
20 yrs ago, we visited Port in Adelaide and got crunched there- they went on to win it. If it's not us, I'd be rapt to see them get up this year

Something is telling me we need to get Port Adelaide as I think they are feeling the pressure as a club and we can seize on that.
We also play the Adelaide oval well.
Given they beat us in Geelong, and that their midfield strength and depth is exactly our weakness, and that they have pretty decent form, I would hate to get them in SA first week of finals.

Saw this little tidbit on the SEN website article about the worst kicks in the league according to Champion Data:

Backs up what we've been saying Mr Meow about how Jez hasn't just been poor in front of goal this year by his own standards, he's been poor by anyone's standards.

He needs to be better than that if we're to have any impact in September.
Spot on and his field kicking has also been a bit hit and miss. Just like the second half of 2023. He's still a freak of nature and will find himself with a bunch of golden chances most matches. But execution wise he would be disappointed. At his best he simply nails a lot of them is a walk up AA selectee. We need him in that mode for finals.

Given they beat us in Geelong, and that their midfield strength and depth is exactly our weakness, and that they have pretty decent form, I would hate to get them in SA first week of finals.
I would actually prefer Sydney. Absolutely gettable.

So we haven't played West Coast in 16 Months?

Some teams have probably played them 4 times in that period
Essendon have played them 4 times since then.

If their first game against Freo was two weeks later in 2023 they'd have played 4 against them too, but three as it stands.

Gold Coast, Saints, North, Carlton, Richmond, Adelaide have also played them 3 times.

True. I am trying to work out whether we want to get 2nd or 4th? Logic says 2nd as we play week 1 at home…

But I think we might match up better against Sydney vs Port or GWS (who are also in better form than Sydney?). also if we lose week 1 from 4th we will likely play Brisbane at MCG whereas if we lose from 2nd or 3rd we play Bulldogs or Hawthorn…

Your post makes me feel better. First to win, second win by 20 goals, third wait until Sunday to barrack for Bullies and Freo. It's all a bit of a headache, and just to think the antidote was to win one more lousy game.
So if it's fourth, as is likely, I'm happy there is an upside playing Sydney. Finish third (presume GWS lose to desperate Dogs) we play Port.
No worries, (false bravado before anyone takes me to task) - we've HF'd them both when in counted in the big one! :)

Of course we should try and play to our potential and thrash the eagles to get that % and hope for a top 2 finish, yet if that doesn’t happen I would prefer to play swans rather than Port or GWS away….
But want to avoid Brisbane in a semi too…..
so many permutations….
Would happily take them in a SF at the MCG if we had to, they are broken there.

I expect retirements will be announced after the end of our finals campaign. Too distracting if just before finals.

Maybe but tuohys just got announced and that was ok. Be nice to see the others today so the fans can say goodbye on sat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back