Preview Rd 24 Geelong v West Coast Sat Aug 23 2024 145pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think knevitt has shown more then Mullin, maybe at VFL level but in the AFL knevitt is a ghost 👻 .

The difference in Knevitt's VFL and AFL form is baffling. He is clearly our best in the VFL, but then can't get near it at AFL despite other players (Humphries, Mannagh) making the step up fairly seamlessly.

20 yrs ago, we visited Port in Adelaide and got crunched there- they went on to win it. If it's not us, I'd be rapt to see them get up this year
I respect your opinion Vdubs acknowledge your seniority on here but Port power will be the last team I will be barracking for if we're eliminated before them. Being a long time Sturt supporter in the sanfl, we may respect the magpies and there sanfl history but we loath them and that filters onto following the power in the afl. Also just because Hinkley was a cats supporter's favourite in the 90's that didn't follow on to wishing him success at Port.

The difference in Knevitt's VFL and AFL form is baffling. He is clearly our best in the VFL, but then can't get near it at AFL despite other players (Humphries, Mannagh) making the step up fairly seamlessly.
Takes time , I suspect in a few years he will be best 22 he has all the attributes just needs to spend more time at the AFL level

I think the way they use him at afl level is the driver. They elevate him and tell him to shut down a winger, or he just goes to wherever the gap is created from Brad Hill moving positions to shake Mullins tag. Within game he's a wing, then he's a spare back, then he's sneaking forward.

I think the MC quietly rate him but just don't know how to use him

The fact you think he is clearly our best in the VFL is baffling.

Is it baffling though? The VFL is riddle with players who dominate vfl but aren’t good enough to make the step to the afl. Here is the leaderboard for the vfl player of the year after round 16… none of them scream AFL gun.

82 Dom Brew (WER)
68 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
60 Jacob Dawson (SOU)
60 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
54 Boyd Woodcock (SOU)
50 Cooper Craig-Peters (FOO)
50 Thomas Murphy (FRA)
45 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
40 Harvey Hooper (PM)
40 Ben Jepson (SOU)
40 Mitch White (CD)

Is it baffling though? The VFL is riddle with players who dominate vfl but aren’t good enough to make the step to the afl. Here is the leaderboard for the vfl player of the year after round 16… none of them scream AFL gun.

82 Dom Brew (WER)
68 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
60 Jacob Dawson (SOU)
60 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
54 Boyd Woodcock (SOU)
50 Thomas Murphy (FRA)
45 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
40 Harvey Hooper (PM)
40 Ben Jepson (SOU)
40 Mitch White (CD)
There are a number of players in that list who are good enough for AFL imo. Jason Dawson and Boyd Woodcock in particular look much improved since they have been delisted. Dom Brew also seems to improve year on year

I am hoping that it is just a matter of building in the afl. He might now not get more of a chance in 2024 (although be nice for him to have a crack against WC) but in 2025 if he gets a handful of games in a row I reckon he will start to show what he can do.

Last week he ended up playi g half back which I don’t think he has ever done before. It was due to Mullin tagging hill. So maybe this week if he plays he can spend time on wing?

Knevitt still needs 2x more preseasons for mine (same with Clark).. And he still is no sure thing after that.

This year he took a step up with his VFL form.

Next year (2025) he will need to step that up once again and start to have his way at that level.

Then (2026) he might be confident and strong enough to start imposing himself at AFL level.

He seems a real slow burn IMO.

My expectations are now low but I can see he has things in his game that could be good in time.

82 Dom Brew (WER)
68 Mitch Hardie (GEE)
60 Jacob Dawson (SOU)
60 Jarryd Lyons (BL)
54 Boyd Woodcock (SOU)
50 Thomas Murphy (FRA)
45 Ted Clohesy (GEE)
40 Harvey Hooper (PM)
40 Ben Jepson (SOU)
40 Mitch White (CD)

It's the discrepancy that is battling. Knevitt will have 30-odd touches & a goal in the VFL, then have 7 disposals in the AFL side. At least blokes like Dawson and Lyons were getting 15-20 disposals at AFL level still.

Confidence?

He's played 4 senior games this season but no consecutive games

Round 2 vs Adelaide - a couple of minutes at the end of the game

Round 16 vs Essendon - 13 disposals, 8 marks, 1 goal & a behind. It was a promising game and would have been good to see what may have happened in tge coming weeks. Unfortunately he was a late out the next week with illness

Round 19 vs Bulldogs - not a great match, but he wasn't alone. Dempsey on the other wing didn't have a great game either but he seemed to escape the same level of criticism

Round 23 vs St Kilda - started well, a strong mark & goal in the second quarter, but faded in the second half

I asked the question before or during the Saints match - do they know how they want to use Knevitt at senior level because it seems confusing at times. Blicavs was often seen at 'Mr Fix-It' going between the backline, midfield & ruck, while with Knevitt he's almost 'Mr Fill-It' and goes to the gap on the field

He looked to be tracking well last season, had a strong game against the Bulldogs but wasn't seen again in 2023 - there's positive signs there, but the coaches & Mitch need to sit down at his end of season chat and work out what type of player they see him being and then focus on that in 2025

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FWIW , i dont think Knevitt will make it in the AFL

Through the journey there has been plenty like him who just cant cut the mustard at the highest level , but when they go to a lower level they excel

The late Tony Gilmore at a guess would have played 20-30 senior games for the Cats , however when he crossed to Geelong West in the VFA , he was an absolute super star centreman , a ball magnet

Also re Mullin , of the young players he is the one to get excited about , he is athetically gifted , got a real turn of foot , good o/head mark and a very nice penetrating kick . If he can do 2 things , understand the game of Aust rules better and 2ndly take the attitude that yes i am a good player and i belong out their , i just think he looks to be in awe of some Geel players

If those 2 things happen , i think he will be a far better player than both Bruhn and Clark

Clark will be a dead-set gun. Next year, he will begin racking up 20+ disposals every week. He's a different cat that kid.

Knevitt just needs a chunk of time in the AFL.
Really all comes down to the next preseason for a few of these guys. If the desire is truly there to be the best you can be, there's no reason why a player like that can't make it.

4 hours until melt time

So, for the last time in season 2024 (as I doubt we'd debut him in finals) - will Mitch Hardie be named for his senior debut:

Yes, or
No

?
At this point, barring a debilitating flu virus cutting down half the AFL squad in the next couple of days, a member chosen at random from this forum is about as much chance of running out there in the seniors on Saturday as Hardie.

#shiphassailed
#nothingsurer

IMO we can beat Sydney and GWS away but we can’t beat Port away

Probably more than any team in the AFL, Port ride the home crowd momentum. It’s great when it works. Almost unstoppable. But playing on emotion doesn’t bring you Premierships. Process driven teams with enough elite talent and role players, consistency of personnel and structure bring you flags!
Port’s one wood is emotion.
They have structural weaknesses in defence (especially with Houston out. MASSIVE loss! Like Stewart for us). Flaky in attack.
Midfield exceedingly talented but reek a bit of jockeying for the Alpha Male role. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
Sydney far more evenly spread elite, selfless talent.
Put doubt in Port’s heads and we’re a chance.
Expose Alir and Rata one on one.
Maybe a role for Bowes or MOC in a Port/Cats match to go with JHF. He’s the match winner for them. Looks built for September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At this point, barring a debilitating flu virus cutting down half the AFL squad in the next couple of days, a member chosen at random from this forum is about as much chance of running out there in the seniors on Saturday as Hardie.

#shiphassailed
#nothingsurer

I actually think Clohesy has a brighter future at the Cats than Hardie.
I see Mitch as a quality plus one/steak-knives for our first round pick to the Bulldogs for Bailey Smith, especially if our First Rounder slips to 15+.

I actually think Clohesy has a brighter future at the Cats than Hardie.
I see Mitch as a quality plus one/steak-knives for our first round pick to the Bulldogs for Bailey Smith, especially if our First Rounder slips to 15+.

Hardie has zero draft capital, even as steak knives he's worth nothing.

Hardie has zero draft capital, even as steak knives he's worth nothing.

He's a second year rookie - essentially that makes him a FA, even if we offer him a further rookie contract he can reject it and then he becomes a delisted free agent who can move where he wants

Clark will be a dead-set gun. Next year, he will begin racking up 20+ disposals every week. He's a different cat that kid.

Knevitt just needs a chunk of time in the AFL.
Really all comes down to the next preseason for a few of these guys. If the desire is truly there to be the best you can be, there's no reason why a player like that can't make it.
I think Clark and Mullin have attributes that will ( eventually) make them AFL regulars.
I'm all in on Bruhn but he does need to find more of the football - needs to be 20+ regularly in 2025.

I want to believe in Knevitt - 194cm , athletic and solid skills - ideal for the modern game.
It's all there except confidence and intensity , he looks timid in AFL compared to VFL where he digs in hard and is prepared to take contact. Time is running out though , must make 2025 a breakout year..................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back