Preview Rd 24 Geelong v West Coast Sat Aug 23 2024 145pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that some people here don't like that this is the case. But the harsh reality is that our M.C.'s view of Hardie's prospects of playing solid AFL footy are almost undoubtedly about to be franked by 17 other clubs at the end of this season.
History will show the greatest mistake was giving him a 2nd year.

Zach Guthrie is going to worry a lot of list managers well onto the future.
In these days of instant gratification, he illustrates how a player can be like a good wine and mature into greatness.
But along the way there will be duds.
How to figure out which is which?
check out pedigrees imho..

This is what really annoys me about Port. They have a bit of a 'It just means more. You wouldn't understand' kind of stuck up attitude feeling they're superior to other fans. Much like Liverpool.

Also, Dixon has passion but even donkey's can have passion. The ultimate looks like tarzan plays like Jane key forward.

If you had to sum up PA in a single instance it would be Warren Tredrea’s bow to the crowd in the 2007 PF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that some people here don't like that this is the case. But the harsh reality is that our M.C.'s view of Hardie's prospects of playing solid AFL footy are almost undoubtedly about to be franked by 17 other clubs at the end of this season.
"Almost undoubtedly"? I and others on this forum would disagree with you.

Last edited:
So we are debuting Hardie in first final?
I heard that all Hardie has been doing at training is blind turns. Blind turns right. Blind turns Left.
He really wants the mantle for best blind turn on debut in a Granny. Hopefully he can achieve his Goal, but me personally I actually would prefer if he done it on a person, not like the last bloke.

Rare to see odds like this: Geelong $1:02 WC $13. You'd think the fix was in. But looking at the two teams, I just don't see those odds playing out. WC's midfield is as good or better than Geelong's. WC's forward line has some firepower, their backline is weak due to missing key position players. However Geelong should still win.

Depending on where you draw the line on what constitutes a 'medium' forward, you could probably even get rid of the age reference. There aren't that many good medium forwards of any age. It's a pretty hard position to truly excel at.

So, OHenry is going fine. That said, it would be nice if he could add a few more strings to his bow, but like you say he is still young.

This.

It's a tough gig; you're not gonna get many clean looks in any given game - and you're also expected to both present up the ground to the wings and also make sure the opposition's defenders don't intercept without an aerial battle.

When I watch games with my daughter this year she always accusingly says ''you hate him'' - I'm not even aware half the time that I'm criticizing O'Henry, but he is an easy one to expect more from.

If we want him, we've got him on the books for a long time - in a way he is tied to his brother Jack, who is himself tied to the club until 2029 I think, which is a long time hence.

And so what does the club want to do with this talented but inconsistent and just-maybe-sometimes-lacking-in-the-ruthlessness-department kid, long term?

I reckon Isaac Heeney's transition to a classy big bodied midfielder is a template Henry could potentially emulate down the track.

You might suspect O'Henry is no Isaac Heeney and chances are you're right, but then again I didn't really rate Isaac Heeney all that highly until his great leap forward over the past 18 months or so.

Ollie Henry has had his ups and downs like any player; like most he needs to work on narrowing the gap between his best and worst games.

But he is tracking ok, given he plays a largely tricky and thankless role.

The late great Fred LeDeux and I sometimes agreed and sometimes disagreed, but we were in accord in our contempt for O'Henry's early defensive efforts. I wonder if Fred would agree with me that Henry has made some strides in this area despite his 2024 challenges.

This.

It's a tough gig; you're not gonna get many clean looks in any given game - and you're also expected to both present up the ground to the wings and also make sure the opposition's defenders don't intercept without an aerial battle.

When I watch games with my daughter this year she always accusingly says ''you hate him'' - I'm not even aware half the time that I'm criticizing O'Henry, but he is an easy one to expect more from.

If we want him, we've got him on the books for a long time - in a way he is tied to his brother Jack, who is himself tied to the club until 2029 I think, which is a long time hence.

And so what does the club want to do with this talented but inconsistent and just-maybe-sometimes-lacking-in-the-ruthlessness-department kid, long term?

I reckon Isaac Heeney's transition to a classy big bodied midfielder is a template Henry could potentially emulate down the track.

You might suspect O'Henry is no Isaac Heeney and chances are you're right, but then again I didn't really rate Isaac Heeney all that highly until his great leap forward over the past 18 months or so.

Ollie Henry has had his ups and downs like any player; like most he needs to work on narrowing the gap between his best and worst games.

But he is tracking ok, given he plays a largely tricky and thankless role.

The late great Fred LeDeux and I sometimes agreed and sometimes disagreed, but we were in accord in our contempt for O'Henry's early defensive efforts. I wonder if Fred would agree with me that Henry has made some strides in this area despite his 2024 challenges.
So Ollie Henry is excused because he plays in a position that is tricky and thankless. I wasn't aware of that. In future I will go easy on him.

Didn’t know that was a thing?

Are you trolling me?? 😛

Unfortunately not 😂

MSD nominees have the option when they're completing their application to stipulate if it's a 6 month contract taking them through the end of the season drafted, or 18 months

The 18 month initial contract gives them a bit more job security

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless you are part of the MC or recruiting staff at any of the other 17 clubs, that's entirely irrelevant to their point...
Hardie is Constable Mk2.

The player comparison I've read a few times over recent times and that does have me going 🤨🤨🤨

Is the odd person who describes Hardie as being similar to Atkins - from there it becomes, "why can't he replace Atkins"

I don't see similarities between the games of Hardie & Atkins - unless it's purely about them being rookies...

If instead the comparison or similarities was between Atkins & Clohesy, that I can see - both are just hard nuts, neither takes a backwards step, happy to get their hands dirty & keep going all match. If he can get the opportunities though, Ted may show himself to have a higher ceiling

You mean he'll get picked up somewhere else? I'm pretty certain he won't but hope for his sake I'm wrong

Rare to see odds like this: Geelong $1:02 WC $13. You'd think the fix was in. But looking at the two teams, I just don't see those odds playing out. WC's midfield is as good or better than Geelong's. WC's forward line has some firepower, their backline is weak due to missing key position players. However Geelong should still win.
How much do you think Geelong will win by?

So Ollie Henry is excused because he plays in a position that is tricky and thankless. I wasn't aware of that. In future I will go easy on him.

Not suggesting you personally go easy on him Finknottle - but for mine it is a position that traditionally is a bit peripheral by design.

I look at O'Henry's main competition for a gig in Geelong's F50 - Gary Rohan - and I'm not seeing a world of difference in their output.

Both average well under 10 disposals per game in 2024.
Thereafter Ollie Henry actually has a pretty pronounced edge; I'd have 'eyed' it a closer contest tbh.

If not Ollie Henry, who would you have?

Seek. Kill. Destroy!
No experiments play out best team and get in a nice pre finals tune up live kill!

We should be winning this game by 100 minimum.
😜 😜 😜

IMG_0319.gif

😉

Last HA gameday beeches

GO Catters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back