Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe you people are defending Yarran. :oops:

This week we play St Kilda, which shapes up as our most important match of the year and perhaps only chance to win a game in the first 5 weeks. With Yarran missing, I wouldn't be too certain.

Worse, the next little shit will sledge Yarran to buggery. Do we want him suspended for 4 weks for hitting Ballantyne too?
I'd be okay with that... :D

Haven't watched the TV telecast yet so don't know if it was shown, but Bell takes shit from no one! Was pushing and shoving everywhere. Loved when he was giving to Melksham.

Oh, and Byrne is a tough nut! Can't believe that was his first game. Looked like he belonged just as much as everyone else, if not more!

KEEP!

I'm not judging the irish experiments purely on Setanta, I'm basing it on every Irishman to have ever come over an played the game.

Jim Stynes, Sean Wight & Tadgh Kenneally were simply sensational players, there appears to be a big gap between them and the rest of the irish players.

Seems to be a small percentage of players overall that have been genuine success stories, a lot of them have only been 'okay'.
You mean the likelihood of an Irish success story is exactly the same as a player drafted locally?

Shock! Horror! Groundbreaking!

Positives:
1. I managed to successfully execute a full media blackout and not hear the scores before watching the game this morning. :thumbsu:
2. Byrne's debut was excellent.
3. Clearly won the stoppages and contested ball.

Negatives:
1. Atrocious ball movement through the middle and going forward. The difference between the delivery into F50 between the two sides was huge.
2. General skills were poor. Players put their teammates under the pump with poor passes regularly.
3. Yarran getting himself rubbed out.
4. Poor conversion on goal ensured we fell too far back to overcome the deficit.

My immediate impression after the game was "well, at least we had a dip and kept pushing". As we talked about in the podcast, effort and improvement is what we want to see most of all. The effort and will to keep fighting was there.

Murphy got plenty of the ball which is good, but he still is well below his best. Didn't hurt the opposition much at all.

Yarran's punch was very untidy. I know Chappy was getting into him and probably connected a few that would have hurt, but you can't punch someone in the head. Wouldn't be surprised if he copped 3 weeks. Was a good punch though - twisted the torso and accelerated through from the shoulder. First class.

Still have a few passengers along for the ride who are well below their best and need to step up. Looking at Murphy, Gibbs, Carrazzo and (to a degree) Henderson, though with the terrible ball use, Wayne Carey would be struggling to impact the game as a forward us in the first three weeks.

Summary:
Our #1 problem is our ball movement from defence to attack. There are a few reasons why this is the case and it may come down to selecting a team with more run, but until we improve this, we are going to keep losing games.

Guys forgive the intrusion, I just wanted to say that as a neutral it was so good to see Yarran sit Chapman on his ass. Hard man maybe not so hard. Would pay money to see those 2 in the ring and I suspect Yarran would be the only one walking out of it. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mean the likelihood of an Irish success story is exactly the same as a player drafted locally?

Shock! Horror! Groundbreaking!

There is a way higher probability of a local player making it given that local players have been brought up playing the game from a young age. The irish players have to make some significant adjustments to the game that comes naturally to them to be successful in our game.

(Jones) is a slightly shorter version of Casboult, can take a decent mark but is not reliable when kicking for goal (he is better than Levi but then again, so is my Grandmother). He doesn't work hard enough to win possession or present for the ball to be delivered to him, makes me angry because he was brought to the club for exactly that reason.

Take a closer look. A lot of his contested marks this year have actually been quite lucky, it often goes straight through his hands and bobbles around and he somehow ends up clutching it. Given his "can mark, sucks at everything else" reputation I was expecting him to have far better hands.

Thought his efforts were better this week in terms of chasing, but he's definitely not the long-term answer up forward. Has absolutely no presence for a guy of his size, and on the odd occasion he does crash a pack it's because he's taken a mistimed wild leap with no realistic prospect of actually holding the mark.

366757-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

This sort of shit you can't buy... this is the sort of stuff we need to see more from our players.
Yarran needs to practice on a smaller, better looking dummy if he wants to be a ventriloquist.

There is a way higher probability of a local player making it given that local players have been brought up playing the game from a young age. The irish players have to make some significant adjustments to the game that comes naturally to them to be successful in our game.

Funnily enough, this seems to work to their advantage. Don't see any noticeable technical flaws or bad habits in our Irish boys, as opposed to the rest of the list.

Sure. But an Australian must have moved to live in Ireland and played the sport at some stage. Guess we wouldn't hear much about it here.

Quite possible that an amateur player has gone there and you are right, you would have to doubt that we would hear about it here unless they achieved something huge like winning their version of the Brownlow.

Just my opinion on the Yarran/Chappy incident, and I am in no way condoning what Yazz did, so let's get that straight right now, but for way to long we have been physically mentally and verbally bullied by opposition players to the point where we are a laughing stock of the AFL, god even the ******* commentators heckle us given half a chance, so Yazz sits mud guard on his arse for being "bullied" again by an opposition player, but says **** it ENOUGH!!! So did mud guard go niggle him again after that? Anyone?? The mindset of mud guard would of came from the Geelong days, hell Cameron Mooney even said it one telecast a while ago, that it is common knowledge around the league that Carlton are soft, it took Hawthorn to say "ENOUGH" with the line in the sand game, and I'm not suggesting we go out and do that, but we need to cut the weak goody two shoes mindset the senior players on this list have, and start biting back, A LOT!!

I'm not an advocate for violence but Yarran didn't go in seeking it out. He just stood up for himself when the opportunity presented. 2-3-4 weeks suspension while we are sitting 0-3 upsets some. Our season was already done. We are rebuilding and not many teams come back from 0-3. Another meek surrender isn't what we needed. Yarran stepped up, if not for his teammates, then for the supporters who are sick of being bullied by the rest of the competition. I can't help but think that whatever suspension he gets is worth it if the rest of the team finally says 'enough.'

One thing is for sure, nobody is calling Yarran soft anymore.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back