Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I have supported Carlton for 30 years, and for the last ten we talk and talk about what's wrong....... Its simple..they are soft, I miss watching blokes go hard and love playing footy, this team is about contracts and media.
Judd, Cripps, Armfield, Walker and Byrne were the only true footballers out there today.
Murphy is the softest captain in the league.
Mick is all about his structures, he has forgotten what a footballer is and now plays politics.
The club and its players has turned into a political business and football is a sideline activity.
You want members trigg???? Concentrate on putting footballers with heart on the field,, not soft show ponies.

We played all day 5mt of our opponents then put our hands out and watched them hit their targets because we are soft and not close enough to tackle.
For the first time in 30 years I am embarrassed to say I'm a blue boy.
Then don't say it.

[QUOTE="passmark, post: 38017415, member: 134570"

Why do we stop after 1/4 time? .[/QUOTE]

I don't think we stop after quarter time, I think as soon as the opposition puts a man behind the ball, we don't know how to counter it and in fact lose out structure and positions all around the ground.

For 2 weeks now, after quarter time the opposition drops an extra man back and we suddenly look lost out on the field. We lose our opposition players, they run and slice us up through the middle and around the ground and our players don't have a structure that they can fall back on to mitigate that.

Instead we look like headless chickens out there with each player not knowing who or where they should position themselves. Just my opinion.

Was nice to be in the sun at the G. But I saw uncontested running Essendon players streaming forwards too often.

Curnow off was nice, Cripps and Byrne impressive.

Would like Watson in for Jones, Buckley in for Ellard (has the effort but not the magic), and Whiley in for Bell or Yazz, if Yazz gets a holiday.

I'm sorry, but Gibbs was strutting around like a peacock, he needs to get in it, and start to run two ways.

I couldn't figure out if the unmanned running Essendope players were Mick's fault (our structures and game plan), or our players being lazy. I wish the answer to that was clearer.

Love the Crippa, love Simmo, Hendo, Doc, and Judd.

You lost for a number of reasons:

1. You lack execution; you need to work on disposal a great deal
2. You have a void of forwards; even if you put it inside 50 your chances are slim
3. You are relatively slow running the ball; self explanatory

All in all, it wasn't unexpected to see your blokes get up for this game. Lucky for us, for at least one game we appear to have been able to overcome the whole 'beat a good side, lose to a poor side' syndrome. But I genuinely applaud the effort - they really did come to play.

IMO you do need to jettison Malthouse at the end of the year. He's not an elite coach anymore and letting his ego dictate a new contract would be disastrous. I think we all know the Blues need to bottom out (that doesn't mean finish bottom BTW), carve the list up, and use Silvagni as a resource.

Of course as an Essendon fan I don't WISH you well, but good hunting.

Judd should be leading this team, consistent and a leader, Murphy is a show pony, and a soft one at that!
Lead by example??? Not Murphy.
I find it hard you pay out on Curnow and Carazzo. I say let them play and attack not tag and worry about the opposition all day.
Most teams have five in the centre foe a ball up, we have three because two are to worry about an opposition player, no the ball.
BRING BACK HARD PLAYERS THAT SEE THE FOOTBALL!

Today was more an indictment on the Bombers than it was Carlton. Essendon are not a great side. They lead by 7 goals at one stage and the Blues with their lack of goal kicking options, zero system up forward, and lack of quality still managed to peg it back to 14 points in the last.

Aw, thanks mate! I feel much better. :p

It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We led for a large portion of the first quarter and won a quarter of footy. The Bummers* should feel embarrassed. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Armfield showed how valuable he is.

Casboult being played too high up the ground. The amount of times there'd be nobody in the forward line except Ellard with two blokes on him, Christ..

+100 - three marking forwards splits up the defense - has to be Casboult, Jones and either Walker, Hendo or Wood/Everitt/Watson/insert name here..

Hendo goal in the first quarter came from a Casboult mark attempt that took all the tall defenders out.

+100 - three marking forwards splits up the defense - has to be Casboult, Jones and either Walker, Hendo or Wood/Everitt/Watson/insert name here..

Hendo goal in the first quarter came from a Casboult mark attempt that took all the tall defenders out.
Agree, hendo should be back with jamo.

I would be happy with Yarran getting 4 weeks if he had knocked out that ****** Chapman.
Spot on Dram! I'm really starting to love Yarran - shows heart and loves to take the game on. Get us more in his mold. Gibbs starting to throw the big frame around now also. I think despite the loss, the team is starting to build some passion for the jumper, and if we can just improve the finishing skills we will start to climb.

366757-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
:p:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Spot on Dram! I'm really starting to love Yarran - shows heart and loves to take the game on. Get us more in his mold. Gibbs starting to throw the big frame around now also. I think despite the loss, the team is starting to build some passion for the jumper, and if we can just improve the finishing skills we will start to climb.

366757-tlsnewsportrait.jpg
:p:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

On that, h vision I saw couldn't show a conclusion picture of Yarrans fist connecting with Chapmans face.

Didn't Ablett get off once because the picture was grainy and didn't show conclusive contact?

Some encouraging sides for the Blues today, I thought.

Murphy was much, much better today. Had you kicked straighter...well, who knows.

Anyway, bad luck but I think that was a much, much better showing than what you've put up previously this year and there is something to build on from here.

Feels strange to say this early in the year, but we don't play again so, good luck for the rest of the season.

Thanks Doss and we'll done to the Dons. Can't believe we don't play again this year?? These two games are what I look forward to every year!!

While I thought seeing a twat like Chapman getting punched was funny, it was ultimately pretty stupid of Yaz to get drawn in to that and it will probably cost him a couple of games.

Yarran must play midfield or forward for the rest of the season. Can't work out why Mick waste his talent down back.

Casboult and Jones juat dont offer enough up forward would prefer Jaksch be put up forward for the remainder of the season.

Whiley and Buckley need to come into team.

Umpire made some interesting comments to Crappy about not tolerating elbows in the back. May take a week off Yazz's holiday.
I reckon that he might get a couple of weeks. It's been a couple of years since he was last rubbed out of I remember rightly so any holdover points should be gone now.
He could have done all that without throwing a punch or two. I agree that he should be able to stand up for himself against the likes of Chapman etc but getting himself suspended just hurts the club.
No it doesnt... it provides a benchmark... a line in the sand if you will of what you should do against these so called "hard" men of the AFL. Chappy is nothing but a sniper taking cheap shots at better players now that he is over the hill...

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 3 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back