Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely filthy with our performance today, i had a bad feeling about the game but thought we would be a hell of a lot more competitive than we were. I knew we were light on for experience and North have a much bigger side, which is why i was surprised we brought in a first gamer, a kid 2 games (VFL) back from a 18 month injury and a underdone utility. That said, a bigger team doesn't smash their opposition out of the park in a quarter, they win more contests over a longer period of time and sustain their efforts for longer.

Our horrible game wasn't down to lighter bodies and in experience, watching the game we got smashed in the midfield and our players were no where to be seen, so many times i caught myself yelling at the television, where the **** are our players. Other than there being very little intent today, which hasn't been an issue all season, our structures and lack of answers to how North were playing were the biggest concern.

Our forward line despite having Curnow, Mckay and Cas was totally dysfunctional, worse than the game against GC where they all played, which was also horrible.

It seemed that the players out there are mentally fragile and thought the game was already lost after our outs. There are too many players in our side, who i think are good players continually making horrible decisions and crapping their pants when they get the ball, players like Jones, Plowman and Marchbank are main offenders, they aren't kids.

I really thin LOB needs to be playing in the VFL to allow him to develop, he lacks confidence (hopefully due to his size), doesn't attack the ball and is brushed aside too easily. There is nothing wrong with going back to the 2s. Have a look at some of the Cats kids this season, getting huge benefit from having a full season in the 2s.

Marc Murphys career is at a cross roads, he was poor again today and has offered very little to date this season, if his body is not up to it, then he needs to do the right thing, if its a bad run of form, he should not receive any preferential treatment, we are trying to win games and he's not helping.

Even though i am really pissed off, i want to see how we respond next week before i go full negative. Ive been happy with our progress but i have some serious concerns about Boltons gameplay and our team selection.

Shout out to JSOS, he is improving and trying his guts out.
Fish too.
Hope Liam is ok.

I was at the game today and yes, North Melbourne had more numbers around the ball.

They outran us from the contest, but I felt there were a number of times where the kicker made the wrong decision and unnecessarily kicked it to an outnumbered contest when other options were available.

The other thing was we were turning the ball over a lot. When players run forward of the ball and there's a turnover from an uncontested possession, everyone gets caught out of position.

It was actually a head clash, to his left eye socket in the air that may have immediately caused unconsciousness. He then fell to the ground limp, hitting his head on the ground again on, what appeared to be, the hard outside strip of the oval. On the stretcher, he appeared to have tape around his left eye socket which I'm guessing may hint at some damage to the facial tissue but, also possibly, either his eye socket or his cheekbone. On top of that, there is obviously going to be some fairly nasty concussion involved.

Please note, that i am not a doctor and am only reporting on what i saw, and what i think it looks like. We should have some feedback soon on scans.

He'll be out for weeks, but more importantly, above all else I just hope he's ok, that its not more serious, and that he recovers well.
I felt he officially became a Carlton player today.

Tale of the tape this week. 5 players over 100 games vs 9 players under 100 games. I guess the more experienced team won. And listening to the broadcast, you'd think that North had just as many inexperienced players on the ground as we did! What a joke.

Then Bolton’s goose will be cooked.
He’s the head coach but I know for a fact that assistant coaches are in the gun and so they should be.
We've brought in Williams, a stoppages expert. That alone tells me that Barker is on borrowed time now... thank dog for that!

It's sad that Smurph is now a shell of the player he was when he was at his best. He was our B&F winner back in 2017, but even last year, was producing mostly ineffective 25 possession games. This year he seems to have regressed even further. He's so introverted, it may be the case that he's gone into his shell since he is no longer captain of the club....he doesn't show any leadership qualities at all now.

Hopefully he announces his retirement sooner rather than later, so he can go out of the game with dignity and on his terms.

We've brought in Williams, a stoppages expert. That alone tells me that Barker is on borrowed time now... thank dog for that!
Teague’s first comment at half time ....North have been great
Bolton’s first comment on today’s game....North were great
Deflection from the bullshit artists.
What about....we planned poorly, the players executed poorly and when it all turned to shit our effort was appalling

It's sad that Smurph is now a shell of the player he was when he was at his best. He was our B&F winner back in 2017, but even last year, was producing mostly ineffective 25 possession games. This year he seems to have regressed even further. He's so introverted, it may be the case that he's gone into his shell since he is no longer captain of the club....he doesn't show any leadership qualities at all now.

Hopefully he announces his retirement sooner rather than later, so he can go out of the game with dignity and on his terms.
His ankle injury last year has robbed him of a yard of pace and the ability to kick more than 30m accurately. But at this point, we need the experience more than anything else... but it seems that he is not even supplying that at the moment. The only thing I can think is that we are trying to get games into Setterfield and Kennedy before swinging them back into the side. Because that would take the number of players we have who have played 100 or less 19 players and we can't afford to do that!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

grundy? the soon to be premiership winning ruckman, grundy? that grundy? come to carlton, the wooden spooners? see how that sounds?

Didn't a 2018 premiership ruckman take the money and run to PA?
Great call that one, so obviously money talks.
A apparently we have a great list of young players coming through, and he could be the last piece in the puzzle.
Far better than chasing a small forward.

Just a reminder to all those kicking experts on bigfooty that used Casboult as an example of how you can fix an unnatural kicking action when discussing Dow’s kicking......I rest my case

Deflection from the ******** artists.
What about....we planned poorly, the players executed poorly and when it all turned to **** our effort was appalling
What are they going to say... "Sorry everyone we flamingoed up". And to be perfectly honest, North were going to come good eventually. I just would have preferred it to be next week!

Andy Maher did well to hold his tongue at half time
yes, quickly moved to applauding norf - he looked quite shaken - speaking of defending the indefensible - poor emily angwin at the ground seeking a big round of applause for 'the boys' who have just produced one of the worst performances of the past 3 years - who has the toughest job I wonder......

Emily_Angwin_Article.jpg

intro-1518198843.jpg

Deflection from the ******** artists.
What about....we planned poorly, the players executed poorly and when it all turned to **** our effort was appalling

I guess there is precedence here from another coach, from another side?

Didn't a 2018 premiership ruckman take the money and run to PA?
Great call that one, so obviously money talks.
A apparently we have a great list of young players coming through, and he could be the last piece in the puzzle.
Far better than chasing a small forward.
go chase a ball, clifford.........you're barking up the wrong tree........

And another reminder to the sarcastic posters that commented in last weeks around the ground thread when I said I like the look of Zurhaar......did you notice the 5 he put past us today?

I think we want all the old guys to play for as long as they can. What we need is experience and Murphy does add class and carry along with experience.
no he doesn't I'm afraid.......not any more.........

Also as far as needing a plan b if Cripps is being tagged out of a game.

It's called the other midfielders taking the onus on themselves to go and lift their game to support their captain, not for coaches to hold their hand and literally walk them through it

Or both. I'd be picking Kennedy this week, and giving him one job: to get his body in between Cripps and Cripps' opponent at each stoppage. I don't care how he does it. Just get it done. I'd be picking Setterfield as well.

Phillips out. First ruck is Kreuzer if he's fit, and Casboult if he's not. Only one of those guys plays. Leaves at least one more to drop; Williamson or O'Brien, I guess.

Oh, and presumably Jones won't come up. Can we pick Macreadie, or is it too soon? VFL watchers? Or are we going to have to go with someone like Goddard?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Back