Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Who played well in Round 7?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Soap, I think all draftees need to work on aspects of their game and that never really stops throughout their career

Some are more advanced than others, but all of them will find their true level around 4-5 years in the system, which appears with ongoing consistency

IMHO, I think LOB's natural role will be a 2 way running wingman, similar to Gaff, but with a more dangerous left peg

I am not concerned about him at all

Fully understand Arr0w and not concerned just like to see him released and play his natural ball winning game every so often like they did in the last 20 minutes against Hawks. Need to find a balance. Playing a decoy now for 4 weeks is a bit much IMO

This list is the youngest of Bolton & SOS's tenure

I see many people mentioning the 66 game rebuild, I really wonder what they think it really means

Rebuilding a core group to come through together? Playing finals at game 67? Would really like to understand that mindset

Not sure anyone expected to be playing finals at 67 games but is it reasonable for us to accept that it may take another 66 games before we are?

Not sure what that has to do with your question around age. Facts are, this is the youngest list of any of the 4 years.

Players will have form slumps, due to a variety of reasons, all will develop differently, it is never linear. What we see now, is not the output we will have in years to come.

Any rebuilding side, in fact all sides will have bit or role players, some won't make it, so it's pointless highlighting a handful of players, when a list is 45 players deep
Not sure what that has to do with your question around age. Facts are, this is the youngest list of any of the 4 years.

Players will have form slumps, due to a variety of reasons, all will develop differently, it is never linear. What we see now, is not the output we will have in years to come.

Any rebuilding side, in fact all sides will have bit or role players, some won't make it, so it's pointless highlighting a handful of players, when a list is 45 players deep
not sure what age has to do with anything when you're in a competition to win
if we are younger next week is that anything to hang your hat on?

that's a ridiculous way to create anything good

There were older players in the seconds that sos traded for and didn't use

so the question needs to be asked

why not?

Not sure anyone expected to be playing finals at 67 games but is it reasonable for us to accept that it may take another 66 games before we are?

I mentioned a while back that I believe we would be a finals contender 2020/2021

I don't think that is unreasonable or dramatically behind any rebuilding side

100% wrong
ok

why am I wrong?

I would think you're 100% wrong

either that or you're saying the coaches have no idea about football!

I'll explain why,

we are poor on the spread . he's a spread player
why would we use one of our few spread players who had not done anything to make any opposition tremble as a decoy?

did you actually hear anybody from the club say O'Brien is a decoy in which case you're right when you accuse the coaches of being ridiculous..

or are you saying you think he's a decoy because he isn't getting into the games at all

I need clarification here!

Betts left in days of MM.

But since you seem to be into lists, here's one you may be interested in:
Kerridge
Lamb
Sumner
Gorringe
Wright
Schmedts
Palmer
Mullet
O'Shea

All brought in by SOS and all delisted within 4 years for no return.

Edit: Sorry it's actually 3 years.
This ignores the reality that rarely gets mentioned.
A team is forced to have a certain number on its list.
There arent enough good talents available to fill that list with such large culls and with a salary cap in existence. To turn a list around therefore is a 4 to 5 year project.
SOS did multiple trade ins cheap which has got us in a good salary cap position on the back of it, gave them a chance and fulfilled our obligation. In a stronger environment some of them may have gone ok. Hindsight is fun but ultimately pointless.
Besides Wright was good Lamb had some good games. Kerridge tried his guts out when some with more talent didn't always seem to try hard enough.

not sure if he's that fast! never seen him put any separation on the opposition .. he is supposed to have endurance

and he's certainly not gaff like

hes not football instinctive enough to be anything like gaff
That may come back to the role he's being asked to do if that's run with a player then there's less likelihood we are going to see much of his speed imo .
There was some GPS numbers in one game rating him as having the top speed of any player in that game .
But again if he's not being encouraged to get on his bike and run by playing a run with role then we aren't going to see much of that imo .
He's underdeveloped physically it's still way too early to be making too many calls on his ability I would think .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok

why am I wrong?

I would think you're 100% wrong

either that or you're saying the coaches have no idea about football!

I'll explain why,

we are poor on the spread . he's a spread player
why would we use one of our few spread players who had not done anything to make any opposition tremble as a decoy?

did you actually hear anybody from the club say O'Brien is a decoy in which case you're right when you accuse the coaches of being ridiculous..

or are you saying you think he's a decoy because he isn't getting into the games at all

I need clarification here!

Heard it directly from the player

Numerous times

not sure what age has to do with anything when you're in a competition to win
if we are younger next week is that anything to hang your hat on?

that's a ridiculous way to create anything good

There were older players in the seconds that sos traded for and didn't use

so the question needs to be asked

why not?

Go back to the initial question you asked, which I responded too

For the gazillith time, which rebuilding club are people comparing us too? Lions? Saints?, all of which started their rebuilds 2 or more years before us

You may be cool with that but don't be surprised if there is a little restlessness among the natives.

Gird your loins Soap, you're going to be needed big time;).

My theory is people are putting emotions over logic. Simply can't expect a list with our age/experience profile to play finals. Doesn't happen. It was always about 2020/21 IMO and that's if things went well.

For all the discussion etc on here that is reality and we can't rush it

That may come back to the role he's being asked to do if that's run with a player then there's less likelihood we are going to see much of his speed imo .
There was some GPS numbers in one game rating him as having the top speed of any player in that game .
But again if he's not being encouraged to get on his bike and run by playing a run with role then we aren't going to see much of that imo .
He's underdeveloped physically it's still way too early to be making too many calls on his ability I would think .
I've never seen him accelerate to an elite speed.. love to see the footage

and I've never seen him put any separation on any running player

but he is supposed to have endurance
so I'm not questioning his endurance

do you see anything like Craig Bradley in O'Brien

he was pretty fast but not elite speed
and he was a very damaging wingman .. best I've seen
beautiful kick and a lovely goal kicker

now I'm not putting O'Brien anywhere near braddles ( gun) but when did you see elite speed from O'Brien?

I pointed out cryptically, that we expected to be doing far better this year, now that Juddy has publicly said it, I can confirm that it is the case. Far better.

hence the swapping of the pick with Adelaide.

Stating the bleeding obvious - this is not “news”.

Go back to the initial question you asked, which I responded too

For the gazillith time, which rebuilding club are people comparing us too? Lions? Saints?, all of which started their rebuilds 2 or more years before us
you can't rebuild a club by trading players for reasonable picks and overlooking them for younger in the fourth year of a rebuild lol

that's hilarious

My theory is people are putting emotions over logic. Simply can't expect a list with our age/experience profile to play finals. Doesn't happen. It was always about 2020/21 IMO and that's if things went well.

For all the discussion etc on here that is reality and we can't rush it
nobody is expecting finals

and we have players in reserves that we are not playing who are not as young
and we have cherry picked for trades

Some people identify problems, others are employed to fix them.

My ability to see these problems is no greater nor less than anyone else on this board, just depends on what you choose to see. Obviously I also don't employ the fixers, just hope that both parties get it right.

I have had these same discussions about list management with posters who backed every decision made by our previous teams, sometimes I was right, sometimes I was wrong. The nett result, forgive me, is that I'm a bit sceptical about all things list management and don't hold the opinion that SOS can do no wrong.

On one hand, in your post you state that SOS has done a great job in the circumstances but then you quote MEB in noting that we have failed in the rookie drafts.

Whose job is this?

Fair comment.

Short version of my view:

In overall terms SOS has done well given the starting point.

Area “requiring improvement” is rookies.

I would propose that the call on Kerridge and Lamb was made too early given our age profile and Plowman, Phillips, Pickett and, even Marchbank, are yet to prove themselves worthy of a position in a finals contending team.

Just as a point of interest, I think Phillips was also a salary dump and the same year they traded out a 201cm ruckman they rookied a DFA from Geelong who was 210cms and 2 years older. Dawson Simpson is still on their list and, if current form is anything to go by, likely to remain at GWS beyond Phillips tenure here.
Marchbank has been a bit useless this year but was looking better than Weiters last year.
I like Lamb, think he deserved another year, especially after Bugg dogged us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 7 vs North. Terrible loss, poor skills, never in it.

Back