Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Should Hamish Ogilvie and Justin Reid be sacked?

• Both should be sacked

• Only Hamish Ogilvie should be sacked

• Only Justin Reid should be sacked

• Neither should be sacked

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our drafting is a bigger issue than Nicks IMO

Look at our first round record, Gallucci and McAsey no other word than disaster selections.

Then there’s Milera, Fog and Pedlar who are not elite, and we are waiting to see what Thilthorpe, Rachelle and Curtin can deliver.

The AFC best 22 has no player that we could call a genuine superstar of the competition. The best team has them, and not just one however we got none.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Our two best and most exciting players, Rankine and Dawson, were trade-ins. Better than all the draftees that Ogilvie, with four years at or near the bottom of the table could get us. That is very damming of the recruiting and/or the development of our list. In the future I do hope we trade our picks for rising stars rather than punt on the draft. The chances of success are much higher.

Our drafting is a bigger issue than Nicks IMO
I disagree to the extent the talent and flair has been coached out of them - or seems to be

That's a complete misunderstanding of man management and that's coaching

never said that development wasn’t an issue….. I agree is an issue

but we can’t argue that we have had some shockers with the McAsey and Gallucci selections

We certainly can, because we don’t have the bare minimum of hits to lay the blame on the players

If we’d had more success on the draft/development front, then we could isolate individual picks more easily; but when they all suck it’s more tenuous

And I’m no fan of either of those players

Having the main ruckman be a guy with zero football skills just a guy with a tank is just incredibly poor then to give that player a 5 year deal? Bloody madness
This. ROBs ceiling was B grade ruckman 4 years ago and has regressed each year since. Incomprehensible that we would put all our eggs in the ROB basket and not put a project ruck on the list in the last 4 years.

That still cracks me up.

Open tab on pizza. The key to all high level negotiations.

Get a pizza, make an offer. If sos says no, order another pizza. Up the offer. If he still says no, get the cheesy crust. I don’t care if you have to eat 40 pizzas, I want Bryce.

Such a slick operator was ol Fages.

We should have traded unlimited pizzas for Bryce.

If we dressed up some of the pizzas in GWS guernseys, SOS would have jumped at the offer.

This. ROBs ceiling was B grade ruckman 4 years ago and has regressed each year since. Incomprehensible that we would put all our eggs in the ROB basket and not put a project ruck on the list in the last 4 years.
Soldo in the games I’ve watched port this sh_ ts all over ROB . Can’t believe we continue to play him , can’t tap to advantage , can’t kick , can’t mark and is the most unco of a specimen I’ve ever seen on a footy field .
He may beat Strawnie at training but in that game against MELB two years ago Strawnie did a lot better against Gawn than ROB ever has .

I pray he gets injured never to be seen again that’s how much I hate that our catches can’t see that he is utter crap and if I were Coach I wouldn’t even pick him In C grade .

How the hell did we miss on ex SA Grundy given our War Chest and the Swans salary cap problems? ROB could have led the SANFL ruck.

No, we are happy with ROB rather than being bold like Port! Ports drafting (and recruiting) has been A+, their midfield last night was electric

Last edited:
We had pick 4
OMG, this gives me night terrors just remembering it. Please God let us get a new recruitment department and pick some kids that can just football. I was looking at our list today and IMO we could clean 10 names off the list tomorrow and play kids from the SANFL without noticing much difference. Eek

Wow, that’s so depressing. Compare that young midfield with Heeney and what we have.

Honestly, Hamish should be embarrassed and just resign.

Nicks should smack himself in the head for the lack of belief in what he has.

If it looks like we will miss the finals and we don’t play our young mids it will be a disgrace. In one way it will be better if we are 0-5 and 3-7 so we don’t have this false hope we are still playing for finals.
The club will pay attention if we the supporters stop going to games, end of story, this club is very very badly managed from the top down, to be honest this is harder to watch than the year we bottomed out, at least that year I had hopes of watching us go to the draft and rebuild our club , that has been a failure thus far 😢

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That still cracks me up.

Open tab on pizza. The key to all high level negotiations.

Get a pizza, make an offer. If sos says no, order another pizza. Up the offer. If he still says no, get the cheesy crust. I don’t care if you have to eat 40 pizzas, I want Bryce.

Such a slick operator was ol Fages.

The fun bit is the gloating. I bet if you asked him now he'd say he had nothing to do with it and his hands were tied. Which is probably true, but you can't have it both ways.

never said that development wasn’t an issue….. I agree is an issue

but we can’t argue that we have had some shockers with the McAsey and Gallucci selections

Thought Gooch showed some good signs, but we generally refused to play him. Then he did his Achilles at a very bad time.

We could have been giving games to Pedlar and Rachele in the midfield alongside Dawson as they were early picks but we haven’t. Nicks has got what he deserves…
Like the 5th oldest starting midfield in the league and all those teams above us have made a GF at a minimum over the last 3 years.

Our two best and most exciting players, Rankine and Dawson, were trade-ins. Better than all the draftees that Ogilvie, with four years at or near the bottom of the table could get us. That is very damming of the recruiting and/or the development of our list. In the future I do hope we trade our picks for rising stars rather than punt on the draft. The chances of success are much higher.

Paying 5 for a small forward is criminal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Recruiting and List Management Team: Hamish Ogilvie, Justin Reid & Co

Back