RedBulled Mock Draft 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

I really like Witherden but if we chose another defender with a first round pick, I think it'd be pitchforks and torches at West Lakes. Adelaide has more than an overabundance of half back flankers in a team crying out for mids.
If you look at the crows there aren't actually that many genuinely skillful and pace oriented half backs.
Rory Laird
Kyle Cheney
Luke Brown

Then guys like have all been removed from the list
Matthew Jaensch
Nathan van Berlo
Keenan Ramsey

Brodie Smith and Curtley Hampton are really the only two back flankers at the club. Seedsman was playing on the wing last year and Mackay was rotating through half back. Lyons gone means there is a hole on the wing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide target more outside run and carry. If Jarrod Berry is there then I think he'd be an even better fit. Witherden is the next best honestly, he may not add anything next season but I think that's a strong point for Adelaide next season their list looks extremely strong.

If you look at the crows there aren't actually that many genuinely skillful and pace oriented half backs.
Rory Laird
Kyle Cheney
Luke Brown

Matthew Jaensch
Nathan van Berlo
Keenan Ramsey

Brodie Smith and Curtley Hampton are really the only two back flankers at the club. Seedsman was playing on the wing last year and Mackay was rotating through half back. Lyons gone means there is a hole on the wing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Adelaide target more outside run and carry. If Jarrod Berry is there then I think he'd be an even better fit. Witherden is the next best honestly, he may not add anything next season but I think that's a strong point for Adelaide next season their list looks extremely strong.
Strange you mention Laird, Cheney and Brown and then say Smith and Hampton are the only half backs? And then Mackay. List is starting to add up yeah?

Seedsman plays a lot of half back, Henderson is still on our list (maybe not for long) and our first round pick last year, Doedee also plays as a running defender. That's 9 players. Pretty full there thanks.

p.s. Lyons never played on the wing. Keenan Ramsey is not and never has been, a half back.

Rory Laird
Kyle Cheney
Luke Brown

Matthew Jaensch
Nathan van Berlo
Keenan Ramsey

Watch the media and experts bag the hell out of Adelaide this year saying their midfield is weak without depth. The club knows it's coming and do you expect them not to attempt to fix it?

Brisbane have stated they want outside run and pace injected into the midfield. Ainsworth is a better player but given what Brisbane have stated and what the team is lacking Taranto is their man. Skillful and all the rest he'd add a new dynamic to Brisbane's midfield.
Brisbane has said they are looking for a number of player types/positions.

We want a HFF that hit the score board and apply defensive pressure. A HBF that can take an intercept mark and rebound. Inside contested ball and outside speed. And all positions have to have a bit of toe about them. Your phantom draft highlights a danger that I have raised on our own board, that the players who suit a position of need will be gone at 16 (17), as jason pm said, really believe Simpkin would be the best pick there. At our 20 picks, really would have to consider a HBF such as Cedric Cox, or midfielders such as SPP or Dylan Clarke. Though Bolton make sense, just not a player I like.

And Brisbane will not use one of their early picks in selecting an academy kid, especially when we can just wait for another team to bid on Allison and match with our later picks.

As long as the GC and GWS kids a bid on first, before Allison or Watson, our later picks possibly move up 10 odd places in the draft order as GC and GWS use up their banked picks.

And Brisbane will not use one of their early picks in selecting an academy kid, especially when we can just wait for another team to bid on Allison and match with our later picks.

As long as the GC and GWS kids a bid on first, before Allison or Watson, our later picks possibly move up 10 odd places in the draft order as GC and GWS use up their banked picks.
Can I ask what happened to Allison? Was talked up as a possible top 5 pick last year. Injuries? Crap form?

I like the Fremantle picks, but what cruel twist of fate has Liam Ryan going to Carlton 1 spot before Fremantle's pick 71? :(
I originally had Ryan at Fremantle but but you have a plethora of small/medium forwards I think it'd be a little wasted because he's ready to go now. Actually think of all the mature aged players he could go the earliest.

Brisbane has said they are looking for a number of player types/positions.

We want a HFF that hit the score board and apply defensive pressure. A HBF that can take an intercept mark and rebound. Inside contested ball and outside speed. And all positions have to have a bit of toe about them. Your phantom draft highlights a danger that I have raised on our own board, that the players who suit a position of need will be gone at 16 (17), as jason pm said, really believe Simpkin would be the best pick there. At our 20 picks, really would have to consider a HBF such as Cedric Cox, or midfielders such as SPP or Dylan Clarke. Though Bolton make sense, just not a player I like.
You'd really complain with Taranto, Venables, Gallucci and Allison? I think that'd be the best draft haul of anyone.

Taranto is a pure midfielder. Venables is a score board hitting half forward. Gallucci is an inside mid with absolute elite pace and Allison could be anything he wanted to be. Brisbane don't have any picks after that so they would go into deficit for next season. Gold Coast and GWS are the only two I expect to go into deficit because they can. Brisbane can't afford to do that. Allison isn't that much of a reach at pick 21. Maybe you don't get your intercept marking player. But I think it bites the bullet for another year.

You'd really complain with Taranto, Venables, Gallucci and Allison? I think that'd be the best draft haul of anyone.

Taranto is a pure midfielder. Venables is a score board hitting half forward. Gallucci is an inside mid with absolute elite pace and Allison could be anything he wanted to be. Brisbane don't have any picks after that so they would go into deficit for next season. Gold Coast and GWS are the only two I expect to go into deficit because they can. Brisbane can't afford to do that. Allison isn't that much of a reach at pick 21. Maybe you don't get your intercept marking player. But I think it bites the bullet for another year.
Thing is, we still get Allison anyway, so we don't need to pick him. You've essentially screwed us out of 4th top 25 player.

Venables and Gallucci don't really excite me, and for the most part many Brisbane BF supporters are gun shy of Vic City players (Berry is an exception).

At 16 I'd rather go Jy Simpkin if Berry, Florent and Witherden are all gone. At 21 & 22 I'd prefer SPP and Dylan Clarke. But that's just me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I originally had Ryan at Fremantle but but you have a plethora of small/medium forwards I think it'd be a little wasted because he's ready to go now. Actually think of all the mature aged players he could go the earliest.
10.1 beep test would have him well off ready to go in my books. Also with Ballas and Yarran both over 28 Ryan would be one of our best pure small forwards in a year or two. Doesn't really matter if someone else take him before 71, but if we pass on him with 71 and he doesn't somehow miraculously make it to our first rookie pick I'd be sad.

Dogs will be happy with their boys. English long cox
The Bulldogs have drafted extremely well in the last few seasons which has given them immediate success. They don't really have many holes to fill so it just goes to best player available. English replaces Minson, Cox with Hamling and Long gets to stay and play and footscray and develop another year to help with Dickson's transition out of the side given he's 30 next year.

10.1 beep test would have him well off ready to go in my books. Also with Ballas and Yarran both over 28 Ryan would be one of our best pure small forwards in a year or two. Doesn't really matter if someone else take him before 71, but if we pass on him with 71 and he doesn't somehow miraculously make it to our first rookie pick I'd be sad.
I think Nic Nat runs a similar beep. Spends about 65-70% of time on the pitch. Ryan is an impact player so his beep becomes irrelevant. I agree but disagree. Yarran and Ballas ft Walters, Bennell as well as a few of those young players like Langdon will rotate through half forward. He'd still be a bit down the pecking order.

The Bulldogs have drafted extremely well in the last few seasons which has given them immediate success. They don't really have many holes to fill so it just goes to best player available. English replaces Minson, Cox with Hamling and Long gets to stay and play and footscray and develop another year to help with Dickson's transition out of the side given he's 30 next year.
Long cox will go someways to fixing that situation up.

View attachment 305427
I do one every year, I finished this about 4 days ago and just completely forgot to upload. Yellow on the pick numbers indicated clubs last live selections. Academy and Father Son selections are highlighted where the associated bids will take place. I won't add full descriptions of why each player is taken at each pick but if you have questions don't hesitate to ask, more than happy to discuss. My knowledge is a bit thin for later draft choices that's why it thins out towards the end. I'll upload my Draft Board in the next few days too.

Enjoy !
Don't want to harp on your assessment of outside needs for Adelaide but you're wrong here..
Charlie Cameron will move to a wing next year.
Smith plays wing half back.
Milera will come in and purely outside and highly skilled.
One of Hampton or Seedsman will replace Mackay.
Rory Atkins plays mostly outside.
Others coming through include Harrison Wigg and Knight who can play outside.
If anything outside of Sloane and the Crouch brothers there's not much. It will be an inside mid first pick.

Ben Long at 50 - in the real thing we would be hoping he slides to 50 and should take him given he's been in our system, glad some people have noticed.

Good phantom draft overall mate. Looking at Essendon's Pick #29, I'm surprised you've got Willem Drew there. He's shown some promise but I'd have Scharenberg, Powell-Pepper and Clarke above him at that pick. What made you go with Drew over these guys?

Ben Long at 50 - in the real thing we would be hoping he slides to 50 and should take him given he's been in our system, glad some people have noticed.
I've got Long in my top 15 on my overall board. Honestly I just think him back at the dogs makes perfect sense. I don't think he'd play much next season if it was the case but another year of development in that same system that gave him dramatic improvement could definitely see him turn into one of the prime small forwards in the league, massive wraps on this kid personally

Good phantom draft overall mate. Looking at Essendon's Pick #29, I'm surprised you've got Willem Drew there. He's shown some promise but I'd have Scharenberg, Powell-Pepper and Clarke above him at that pick. What made you go with Drew over these guys?
Scharenberg is extremely one dimensional so unless he's in a strong contested system he'll get caught out, Clarke has a lot of development left before he'd be ready and personally I think Powell Pepper is a tad overrated. He's strong and he's quick, that's about all he offers in my eyes where Drew has the whole package for an inside mid and with the game developing so mids spend more time forward his marking ability really sets him above. I've seen him all over people's boards anywhere from 10 - 45 but what we've seen in the last few seasons is genuine footballers with football IQ's are making a massive comeback, Drew would be a great get at Essendon, 1 year learning from Jobe Watson would be great for any kid.

Scharenberg is extremely one dimensional so unless he's in a strong contested system he'll get caught out, Clarke has a lot of development left before he'd be ready and personally I think Powell Pepper is a tad overrated. He's strong and he's quick, that's about all he offers in my eyes where Drew has the whole package for an inside mid and with the game developing so mids spend more time forward his marking ability really sets him above. I've seen him all over people's boards anywhere from 10 - 45 but what we've seen in the last few seasons is genuine footballers with football IQ's are making a massive comeback, Drew would be a great get at Essendon, 1 year learning from Jobe Watson would be great for any kid.

Fair argument. Not sure SPP is only 'strong and quick' - he did top the goal kicking test at the combine. I see him as a 15-25 prospect, but there are question marks over his field kicking which may see him slide to where you have him.

Either way, I'm interested to see where Drew lands. Could be 1st round, could be late 3rd.

Fair argument. Not sure SPP is only 'strong and quick' - he did top the goal kicking test at the combine. I see him as a 15-25 prospect, but there are question marks over his field kicking which may see him slide to where you have him.

Either way, I'm interested to see where Drew lands. Could be 1st round, could be late 3rd.
I think he's a mid second to third round selection but his overall talent is definitely top 15. Gem of the draft, he was just so well performed all season, consistency is key, he does the simple things very well.

The thing going for SPP is he has played senior footy all season, his body is ready made for AFL it's just whether clubs can assess his kicking, Fyfe had a field kicking percentage of 57%, next season he won the brownlow so the kicking is not the issue, it's just his overall game. For what he possess he should be a bullocking inside mid but his more seen as a half forward (his eyes) /half back (recruiters eyes). He is a top bloke off the field. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he goes top 15 and plays 12 games next season. There is just a lot of questions as to where he plays and how his skills translate into the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

RedBulled Mock Draft 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back