Ricciuto vs Camporeale

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep hearing the main reason Campo was let go way back when was because Ricciuto didn't like him - in hindsight a real shame as Campo has got a first rate footy brain and seemingly no interest in leaving SA. Anyone willing to spill the tea?

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Campo was renown for his yeah/nah responses to every question that was asked to him. To me, that does not show too much of a communication brain...not that I am great, as you probably don't understand what I wrote :D

Campo was public enemy number one among our assistant coaching staff with the fans when he was here. Most of us were delighted when he was let go.

I think we need to be careful not to let "speaks well in the media" and "good coach at AFL level" become conflated.
I think it's easy to sit there and point out flaws in the media. It's probably a might bit more difficult to come up with solutions to those flaws.

Campo was public enemy number one among our assistant coaching staff with the fans when he was here. Most of us were delighted when he was let go.

I think we need to be careful not to let "speaks well in the media" and "good coach at AFL level" become conflated.
I think what the OP is referring to is a comment from Rowey today that Roo gave Campo the flick and it was handled very poorly by Roo. Whether it was the right decision or not didn't seem to be the point, just that the exit wasn't handled well.

I think what the OP is referring to is a comment from Rowey today that Roo gave Campo the flick and it was handled very poorly by Roo. Whether it was the right decision or not didn't seem to be the point, just that the exit wasn't handled well.

Oh sure, I agree - but the OP also said that Campo has a "first rate footy brain" and it was a shame we lost him. Is that true? Maybe. But at the time the fans had wanted his head for years.

I thought he was talking about his son then

Have a soft spot for Campo for how he stepped up after Walsh's death. He's a crows champion IMO
I think we can acknowledge that he did an excellent job in 2015 but had become toxic and had to go in 2019.

Sliding doors moment but if we had kept him on as coach and made Pyke head of football, how would things have turned out?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not amongst everyone.

He did pretty well as interim coach too

Just how much influence in Roo having down there?
Didn’t he fire sando and hire Phil, we hear he’s knocked back Vozzo, fired Campo, hired Burton and getting into twitter wars with ex players?
How much is true I don’t know.
Campos opinions in the media seem to be at odds with how we played and structured up when he was midfield coach.

I keep hearing the main reason Campo was let go way back when was because Ricciuto didn't like him - in hindsight a real shame as Campo has got a first rate footy brain and seemingly no interest in leaving SA. Anyone willing to spill the tea?

On SM-S911B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yet, everyone on here blamed Campo for everything they could. If the place burned to the ground, he would have been accused of lighting the match.

My take is that maybe Campo wasn't a yes man and didn't agree with Roo over the direction Roo wanted to go. Its likely to be that simple. I doubt there is more goss than that.

Just how much influence in Roo having down there?
Didn’t he fire sando and hire Phil, we hear he’s knocked back Vozzo, fired Campo, hired Burton and getting into twitter wars with ex players?
How much is true I don’t know.
Campos opinions in the media seem to be at odds with how we played and structured up when he was midfield coach.

Agree with this and this proves that the club is in this mess because of Roo. Also shows that the club will never be successful because they only want to hire yes men. In any organisation, you need a few different people with different opinions or the club will be exactly like it is now

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

100% this! He was "long serving boys club 101" (think he'd been there since Craig Days) & had become stale as.
I shudder listening to all of his "master stroke moves" & quick fixes...ie. injecting speed, playing the kids, recruiting big body mids...like it's a revelation.
I mean there's the faintest possibility that he was being gaslit & overuled for all those years,
But Really!
Cmon Complicit Campo...your DNA is still all over the AFC.

I don't make a habit of it but I was listening to 5AA the other night and a dude rang up and basically licked Campo's arse, told him how great he was and that he wanted him to come back to the club. It's one of those instances where I'm okay with the club completely disregarding a supporter.

I think we can acknowledge that he did an excellent job in 2015 but had become toxic and had to go in 2019.

Sliding doors moment but if we had kept him on as coach and made Pyke head of football, how would things have turned out?
Yeah, Campo did a decent job, but had been at AFC too long... but the same can be now said about Roo, Ogilvie, etc.

We need a refresh... along with new senior coach who has smarts.

True but this board does have the capacity to often hate on many things - even when most in the industry rate them highly. Campo was an example of this (Danger paying tribute to him in his Brownlow acceptance speech- I can’t remember an Assistant coach at another team EVER being recognised in such a manner). Noble another example who built premiership contending teams at both Crows and Lions through his shrewd “moneyball approach”

It's okay if he makes a lot of sense on the radio but we shouldn't forget that Campo couldn't make it work when he was coaching here and he had way better players to work with than we have now.

Campo would have been a terrible senior coach.
Funny enough, his record as a senior coach is 6-3

Now that's better than.. who? Not possibly our current Coach?

If Campo is a terrible senior coach, then how do you rate Nicks? I'm guessing something along the lines of pond scum?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back