List Mgmt. Rioli to Port Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S. Being UK-based means there's a lot of catching up each morning in trade week so can someone give me a quick primer on why Melbourne gave up two additional picks just to move up from 33 to 27?

Seems like a dud move from Melbourne's perspective.

It really shows how skewed the draft points calculator gets once it's 1 v 3, 2 v 4, 1 v 4 etc.

The pick calculator actually has 33 + 43 + 53 roughly equal to pick 14, which is clearly not the case but I would have thought Melbourne could get up to around pick 20 to 22 with those three picks.
Unless you need points to match on an academy or father son kid, best forgetting about points values when looking at trades.

Secondly, you need to have a grasp on this years draft pool. It sucks. The kid drafted at pick 28 last year, is most likely a better talent than the kids being discussed in the 15 to 20 range this year.

Melbourne's recruiter said they won't be using picks 43 and 53 in this years draft. So they traded pick 33 and change to move up 6 spots. Then they'll trade pick 27, a pick they don't intend to use at the draft anyway, for Grundy.

Yes only the amount of picks vs list spots . Afl changed it after the first year of points

Think it was GWS in the first year kept auctioning off their picks for points upgrades and took a dozen picks in and effectively got all their 5 academy players for 3 original picks .

Collingwood last year didn't sign any of their OOC players until after the draft so they could take lots of picks for daicos .

That's why we might get a good trade for Robertson. They get points but also a list spot
Looks like we're doing the same as Collingwood.

Not sure how port think they're going to get this deal done
And are still reportedly chasing Ratugolea when they’ve already maxed out the credit card

Unless you need points to match on an academy or father son kid, best forgetting about points values when looking at trades.
The points system definitely gets skewed massively when the difference in the quantity of picks is two or greater.

2 v 1 or 3 v 2 seems relatively accurate with a slight bias towards the side with the higher number of picks.

Given North will have the cap space and their feelings towards Port about now, they’ll take him
This is a good point and actually means the PSD threat means something to Port now.

I was originally happy with a low 30's pick so 33 for Rioli sounds about right. Maybe slight unders but nothing to get worked up about. 27 always felt slight overs so... I think the whole "Amon Compo (27) plus more" was just posturing from the club.

If we get 33 + 43, can we package them up for 27 from Collingwood?

Last edited:
I think it was the North F2 acquired by Port in the JHF trade being mentioned ..

Stop feeding the chooks, all they do is scratch up a dust storm and shit everywhere. ;)
Just ignore them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm running with the theory Eagles have a side deal with Brisbane (15) or Essendon (22) for their pick lined up, so are chasing points in the Rioli trade.

Ports current 33 & 43 equivalent to pick 20 in points. Might be packaged up for Essendons pick.
Or throw in our 38, points equivalent to pick 10. Swap for Brisbane's 15.

Go to draft with 2, 15, 20, & 26 or 2, 20, 22, 26 & 38.

Thinking the same. 33 and 43 for Rioli.

Then 33 and our 40 to Essendon for 22.

We retain 43 which will drop down to a high 30's pick after all the bids are matched by Lions and Bombers.

Everyone wins.

Could it just be, and stay with me here, that instead of an FU to WC...Ports actually trying to find a way to help satisfy WC and still do the JHF trade?

I know people hate the points thing, but they do now have more draft capital to play with after that trade

Two things to remember:

Number 1.

Port *ed us over in the Ebert deal we were offered a second and a third for Ebert and our 45. Then Port did a sneaky deal and traded for a lower pick third rounder than what we thought we were getting, Port said and rightly so, that they never stipulated WHICH third we were getting, more fool us because we assumed it was a higher 3rd and then Port trumped us by trading in a lower third. We ended up with picks 28 and 47 for Ebert and 45.

Number 2.

Sure rather than pick 27 = 703 points

Port generously give us:

pick 48 = 302 points
pick 54 = 220 points
pick 56 = 194 points

Total points = 716 points

Port feel chuffed because they actually offer us more points to use in the draft......wow.... "what guys they are" as we are better off points wise.

There is a reason people hate the points system.

You can only ever judge a Club on its history of trading with you as to an indicator as to what they may do going forward, and the fact that they have stiffed us before, does nothing to quell my concerns that they are doing so again.

Could it just be, and stay with me here, that instead of an FU to WC...Ports actually trying to find a way to help satisfy WC and still do the JHF trade?

I know people hate the points thing, but they do now have more draft capital to play with after that trade
This could be the case. Port have been quiet on what they intend to trade for Rioli and certainly since the weekend all questions put to them have been about JHF. Aside from WCE supporters no one else has much interest in the Rioli trade

Until it becomes clear what Port are actually offering it’s probably best not to melt just yet but it’s hard to feel confident they’ll do the right thing

In terms of Rioli’s value, I note that St Kilda are chasing pick 25 from the Suns for Ben Long whilst the Suns want to use pick 36. A 25 year old Long is an inferior player to Rioli albeit without the history

Pick 27 for Rioli whilst relatively fair would have been unders

Two things to remember:

Number 1.

Port *ed us over in the Ebert deal we were offered a second and a third for Ebert and our 45. Then Port did a sneaky deal and traded for a lower pick third rounder than what we thought we were getting, Port said and rightly so, that they never stipulated WHICH third we were getting, more fool us because we assumed it was a higher 3rd and then Port trumped us by trading in a lower third. We ended up with picks 28 and 47 for Ebert and 45.

Number 2.

Sure rather than pick 27 = 703 points

Port generously give us:

pick 48 = 302 points
pick 54 = 220 points
pick 56 = 194 points

Total points = 716 points

Port feel chuffed because they actually offer us more points to use in the draft......wow.... "what guys they are" as we are better off points wise.

There is a reason people hate the points system.

You can only ever judge a Club on its history of trading with you as to an indicator as to what they may do going forward, and the fact that they have stiffed us before, does nothing to quell my concerns that they are doing so again.

The Ebert trade was over 10 years ago

And it wasn't even THAT bad, it's just magnified by who we took with pick 28

We also did a very mutually beneficial pick swap with them only just last year...be a huge shift in the relationship if they try to screw us a year later

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back