Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone who watched Russell's entire career ....he is the greatest Sth Aust player of all time, 2nd only to Barry Robran

A true gentleman, who had no ego, was modest as they come ....which was actually a trait of most Sth Aust Champions of that era

A modest 6' player ......his marking for his height remarkable .....and who will forget those long handballs

R.I.P mate

Had the absolute pleasure of bringing him around Hong Kong when he was up here in 2016.
Incredibly humble, fabulously genuine.
He never spoke a word about what he had done, and only asked what he could do for you.
Willing to try anything, nary a complaint if things didn't go to plan.

Softly spoken, mesmerising, and a true gentleman.
When he spoke to you, it was done with his full attention. There was no distraction.

This is a real kick in the guts...

The world has lost more than just a friend today. It has lost a brother.

RIP Russell...

Rest In Power to the best to ever do it. I've supported Port since 2015 and have lived in Victoria my whole life but I know for a fact that people like Russ are the ones that get to stand head and shoulders above the rest with his unmatched CV and his repuation as a terrific bloke. But he himself is in my opinion the one that holds the mantle as the greatest footballer of all time. And as a club we would not be half of what we were without his imprint.
I'd been spending some time recently drawing Russell in the hopes of being able to send it to him along with a letter letting him know how much he means to all of us, I hope that when I finish it he will see it from above :hearts:
1636100496841.png

Yesterday I changed my avatar to include some old stuff about port but it was the pic of a young Russell Ebert that convinced me to change it. A strange thing is intuition, this time round I wished I was wrong.

We have lost a true and wise champion and human being....Tragic passing :'(:'(

R.I.P Russell and to all of your family and friends, you will be sadly missed by them and all of us who loved and respected you for many, many reasons!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We failed him in our 150th and we failed him even worse this year. It angers me greatly.

The last time he saw us play we got ******* rolled like a pack of losers. Hurts even more now.

This was a thought I had too. Two years ago he should've witnessed his nephew put his body on the line to get his team into the Grand final. When that didn't happen, we had a chance to at least right those wrongs this year and offered up the piss poor effort we did.

But putting all that aside and focusing on the man himself, I'm sad I'm too young to see him play, but I've known of his greatness a long time. He's my aunties favourite player, and my mum (a Norwood supporter) and all my other uncles, grandparents, etc would talk about how good he was. What I did get to see was a humble man who you could tell bled for this club, at least I'm lucky enough to have seen that.

Condolences to Brett, Brad, and the rest of the family. RIP.

Had the privilege of meeting him once when he and Cam Hitchcock were doing promo work at Harbour Town.
My 2 kids at that stage were more into soccer at this stage and pretty much told him so.
He basically spoke to them and had a few handballs with them anyway. The young one was so impressed he took up Footy.
Will never forget how down to earth and friendly he was.
Will be sadly missed by so many people.

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Best player I have seen in the flesh.

They say that when players like D Jarman and S Pendlebury get the ball that time slows down. With Russell it stopped.

Shook the hand of the great man at a Sportsman's function some years back and he seemed slightly uncomfortable with the attention such was his humility.

RIP Russell

Was 4 when he retired my dad saw just about every game he played I live through his memories of the great man.
This is so sad haven gone through this myself I held great fears for Russell sure he was fit but his age was the concern as the treatment is nothing short of brutal.
Just a great human and family man first and foremost the footy speaks for its self 💔💔☹️

Just a great player. Brilliant. You could not help but admire him even as he beat my Redlegs.

The first great player I really knew of growing up (Barrie Robran's best ended a bit before my time and Blight had already left).

But a great man as well.

A massive loss for Port, South Australia and everyone who knew him. #RIP

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love RIP Russell Ebert. The greatest man!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back