Rising Star - round 2 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As usual people on here are obsessed with how many kicks or handballs a player had.

Didn't see the Essendon vs Freo game today but sounds like Zaharakis played pretty well.

Ziebell may not get a Rising Star nom at anytime this year but I wouldn't give a shit as this kids a maniac combined with silky skills. He had 15 posessions in that crap weather, but the impressive part is his attack on the ball. His attack on the ball puts many 100 gamers to shame.

Fantastic..but 21 possessions is a heck of a lot more than White did. That is reality. You don't get nominations for "competing" and kicking a goal.

The reality is, if you think White was merely competitive, then you didn't watch the game. Numbers aren't everything, and a midfielder should be getting more disposals than a rookie ruckman.

If you're going to judge Zaharakis on disposals then you have to judge White on hitouts and positioning, both of which he did very well. I know many vics can't see past their own kids within that little fish bowl, but try to open your eyes.

I am assuming the final three is down to.

Jesse White
7 kicks, 5 handballs, 12 disposals, 83% efficiency, 3 marks, 1 goal, 2 tackles, 28 hitouts*, 2 I50s,

* who cares who the hitouts were against, you still have to get them.

David Zaharakis
17 kicks, 4 handballs, 21 disposals, 67% efficiency, 10 marks, 4 tackles, 7 I50s,

Chris Masten
14 kicks, 9 handballs, 23 disposals, 74% efficiency, 5 marks, 1 goal, 3 tackles, 5 I50s,

I think they are going to go for the bigman in Jesse White, only playing around 50% of the game on the ground, and having a massive 28 hitouts is a good effort, I think the selectors may also look at it, that, Masten and Zaharakis will both have another good game, where as the big fella played out of his skin and dominated at stages during the game. So for mine, it will be Jesse White.

thoughts any one...:rolleyes:

Could come from any of Zaharakis, Beams, Masten, Otten, White, Rance and Robinson. None of us really know what the panel are thinking.

The only thing for sure is that "Zaka" is a shit nickname for someone named Zaharakis. I don't know when we started using anagrams of parts of people's names. His nickname, if we're going along those lines, should surely be "Zahar".

Could come from any of Zaharakis, Beams, Masten, Otten, White, Rance and Robinson. None of us really know what the panel are thinking.

The only thing for sure is that "Zaka" is a shit nickname for someone named Zaharakis. I don't know when we started using anagrams of parts of people's names. His nickname, if we're going along those lines, should surely be "Zahar".

It doesn't roll of the tongue like Zaka does. Not everyone's nickname is part of their actual name.. look at Buckley - his was FIGJAM! (Just making a point Bucks, I think you were a superstar and the best special comments man going around) :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best player of the round would have been Rich IMO. 19 posessions (9 contested), 89% effeciency, 4 i50's, 5 clearances, 8 tackles against the Carlton midfield is a pretty damn good effort.

That said I think A LOT of people are underestimating Robinson's contribution against the Lions, esp in the last quater. 18 posessions (5 contested, 10 in the last QTR), 6 marks, 7 i50's, 2 clearances, 2 tackles (but chased like a maniac). He was unlucky not to net a nomination last week, and was prob only a goal or 2 off this week. Not saying he should get the nom this week (It will prob go to Zaha or Masten) but don't underestimate his value. I remember a play where he had the ball in the defensive 50 and instead of hanndballing it off to a player who would have been swamped by 2 defenders he sidstepped them and then delivered a pass up field to a teammate. He has composure and skills, and more people would be talking him up if the game was on free to air instead of Foxtell ..........

Tell that to Zaka. He has always had that nickname.

what are you, President of the Nicknames Committee? Since when do nicknames have to make any sense?

Zaka is just fine

His nickname is Zaka because thats how most pronounce his surname. Most f&@k his name up royally. Guess zaka just stuck. Anyway, who gives a shit what his nickname is? There are plenty of nicknames less relevant than his.

Not being bias but Zaharakis or Quinn. Both had over 20 touches and showed excellent signs.

The way this award is seemingly based on stats is funny. Ziebell's 15 touches in the wet were quality and easily worth 20+ on a dry day (or at the Dome), but no one is mentioning him. Yet if he'd scrubbed a couple more kicks and a couple more handballs his name would suddenly be up in lights.

White easily had the biggest impact on a game from all the eligible nominees this round. He was tremendous.

Well Freo played with 17 men on the field. Tarrent could not give a rats about being on the field.

That being said Essendon played with 16 on the field as lloyd and lucas didn't play either.

Freo were pretty poor I'm not sure they even laid a tackle, I hope the Rising star judges take this into account.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rising Star - round 2 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back