Preview Rnd 12 Geelong V Richmond, Sat 1st June 2024, 7:30pm @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only assume we are desperate for a win as dempsey is due a rest. But still mannagh should be in.

I think we're desperate to get games into young players and don't think we need to rest them. We're "managing" mature fringe players but playing but really managing youngsters.

Clark has played every week including backing up with VFL after being sub at AFL level. Dempsey has played every week. Holmes, Bruhn and O Henry have played every week. Conway has played all except 1 I think even after his injuries last year.

As opposed to doing nothing and expecting different results?

Isn't there a saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Kind of like how Hocking forced a cleanout of the coaches from 2021 and brought in people who enforced gameplan changes. because it wasn't working when it mattered?

I trust the match committee to make changes but if they are sticking with the same old which has been not meeting expectations then we may as well pull up stumps and start the offseason early.

I'd rather try Hardie, Mannagh, Mullin, Humphries and see what we've got long term than trying and failing with what didn't work last year. That's why i'm happy they are playing Conway. Only way he gets better is to keep playing him, same as Mullin. I will say i was originally not on board with overexposing Mullin but he's stepped up big time so I'm happy for him to get a gig.

2022 was awesome but that was a culmination of a squad with purpose who wanted to prove doubters wrong and played a brand of footy that had hunger, drive and a willingness to keep fighting for victories. I just don't see it with this current unit, there just isn't that level of toughness to win footy. Whether that is inexperience or lack of talent currently on the park i'm not sure....
I'm not sure you got what I said there. I'm just saying bring in Humphries for a debut if there's a spot at hbf.

The MC is very loyal to its senior players, apart of course from Parfitt. He’s the only one they drop to the VFL. All the others can underperform and know they won’t have to play VFL, which apparently is incredibly shameful. They’ll be managed or be non-playing emergency.

Parfitt has been accused in here of being an expert car washer, but it seems he’s not good enough. Is he that much worse than the other players that he’s the only one who can be dropped? It seems so.

Stanley is the only other one who’s copped similar treatment over the years.

The MC is very loyal to its senior players, apart of course from Parfitt. He’s the only one they drop to the VFL. All the others can underperform and know they won’t have to play VFL, which apparently is incredibly shameful. They’ll be managed or be non-playing emergency.

Parfitt has been accused in here of being an expert car washer, but it seems he’s not good enough. Is he that much worse than the other players that he’s the only one who can be dropped? It seems so.

Stanley is the only other one who’s copped similar treatment over the years.
I wish I cared as much about anything as you do for players listed as "omitted" rather than "managed".

I'm not proud of my apathy and kind of admire how fierce people can become on matters such as these.

I wish I cared as much about anything as you do for players listed as "omitted" rather than "managed".

I'm not proud of my apathy and kind of admire how fierce people can become on matters such as these.
The point was about them playing VFL and that some players seem to be ‘above’ that.

But all good. I’m sure some of your strong opinions pass me by too.

I think we just need to have more faith in the Match Committee. They are not playing any VFL players because they are not good enough. They are backing the current midfield to turn it all around. A win against a severely depleted Richmond side will get us back on track.
IN MC WE TRUST

Need to start trialing some of the mids who are performing in the VFL. Just need to do something with the personnel to try and turn around the insipid performance of the midfield. It's becoming dire. Gone from being a weak point of concern to a black hole enveloping the side. It was pointed out on here last week that we again hadn't done enough at match selection to address the depth issue through the middle, and again that's where we got exposed. We have to start making changes now. There are guys there to trial, and now is the time to do it. At the very least to learn if some of those mature agers are worth keeping on the list as we do begin to fall down and need to build back up.
Certainly seems that's the consensus here.

Depends upon whether the Club think we're in contention for the Premiership. Which is doubtful, to this Debby Downer.

If our older, injured players recover + other players, who are out of form, can all get it together, we should make finals. I do think if that happens, the VFL performers should play. The only concern is, we may lose the cohesion we had earlier in the season. I do think it's important we strive for finals + get that next level of pressure into the Kittens.

Has no one mentioned that Conway was subbed off and looked injured? Or has it been confirmed that it was tactical , cos he looked proppy.
On AFL app Conway was subbed - injured + next day subbed - tactical. He really needs to play.

I can think of two things/subjects you appear to care about as much… if not more.

I’ll give you full marks for self awareness if you can name them.

I think we just need to have more faith in the Match Committee. They are not playing any VFL players because they are not good enough. They are backing the current midfield to turn it all around. A win against a severely depleted Richmond side will get us back on track.
IN MC WE TRUST

We’ve been devoid of confidence the past few weeks. Blokes dropping marks and fumbling when they usually wouldn’t. Hopefully we can build that confidence back this weekend.

I'm not sure you got what I said there. I'm just saying bring in Humphries for a debut if there's a spot at hbf.
Oh i know you're on the Humphries Dorito hype train as i am.
I just want them to try Stewy in the middle. Get our guy Lawson a gig! TOOT TOOT!

Train Trailer GIF by Xbox

The injury report on the social channel was a real classic in the genre. An update on two players we are past being concerned about, but no update on our two All Australian midfielders who didn’t play this week.

Praise be.
1717115908960.png

They may just bounce the ball to start the quarter & then walk off to have a cup of tea while the two teams fight it out
OMG cats09, you've begun a revenge fantasy in my imagination :joycat: :joycat: :joycat:

Cat Punching Tiger.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question for posters who have watched Lawson in action this season. What would be the one or two things he'd need to improve on to be elevated with certainty?

I can think of two things/subjects you appear to care about as much… if not more.

I’ll give you full marks for self awareness if you can name them.
Find me posts where I use the type of emotional language as the one I quoted (in fact it was a light version, there are MUCH more dramatic examples so I don't want to pick on feeline there) and I'll accept your verdict.

Everybody here makes comments, which implies caring on some level. However you have to be pedantic (and likely suffer comprehension issues) to class them all as the same level of emotional investment on a visceral level. "Stanley is struggling to have an impact" is different to "somebody retire this useless, bumbling fool with a pea heart".

But there is detached analysis and then there is "The MC are being criminals....such and such should delist himself" or "the club's injury reporting and slack social media team shows a complete contempt for its supporters. It is absolutely disgusting" type statements.

Question for posters who have watched Lawson in action this season. What would be the one or two things he'd need to improve on to be elevated with certainty?

Defensive contest work, positioning without the ball and running ability. I still think he deserves a taste of AFL footy this year but one more year in the gym and learning the defensive structures should see him earning a spot in the 22.

That’s where it gets a little strange because Hardie who is seen as an inside mid, spent a good part of the second quarter playing out of the forward line, including starting a few centre bounces from the goal square

I joked at the time, “what did he say to annoy the coach to be shafted to the full forward”, but then being serious posed the question:
- Was Hardie shifted forward to try & add something else to his game, or was it about running other players through the middle & testing different combinations

So it’s a little interesting that we don’t seem to be at least testing the waters of Mannagh in different roles to see what he could offer or bring to the team

I think this has been a common theme with Hardie this year? He's often been pushed up into a forward role at points throughout the VFL season (definitely spent some time in F50 in the Lions game). So yeah, it's weird that Mannagh hasn't had as much of a chance in reverse.

Find me posts where I use the type of emotional language as the one I quoted (in fact it was a light version, there are MUCH more dramatic examples so I don't want to pick on feeline there) and I'll accept your verdict.

Everybody here makes comments, which implies caring on some level. However you have to be pedantic (and likely suffer comprehension issues) to class them all as the same level of emotional investment on a visceral level. "Stanley is struggling to have an impact" is different to "somebody retire this useless, bumbling fool with a pea heart".

But there is detached analysis and then there is "The MC are being criminals....such and such should delist himself" or "the club's injury reporting and slack social media team shows a complete contempt for its supporters. It is absolutely disgusting" type statements.
I’m more puzzled than emotional about the MC’s practice. I admire their loyalty to the players and really have no right to criticise because it’s led to incredible success. I see the treatment of Parfitt as an anomaly, though, and it’s reflective, for better or worse, of a pecking order, as I’ve said before.

I agree with you on the other examples.

I’m more puzzled than emotional about the MC’s practice. I admire their loyalty to the players and really have no right to criticise because it’s led to incredible success. I see the treatment of Parfitt as an anomaly, though, and it’s reflective, for better or worse, of a pecking order, as I’ve said before.

I agree with you on the other examples.
Yeah on reflection your post was "emotionally invested" rather than "emotional" - more so about Parfitt and the idea of a (unfair...is how I read it) pecking order via the MC. And that some players seem "above" VFL when they should be playing at that level (again...correct me if I'm wrong).

That for me goes a bit beyond "I wish they'd give such and such a chance", but it was more a general comment, not an attempt to censor. And your follow up statement has put it in context.

Anyway it was worth it to get the comical drive by from D BRIDGE. I am looking forward to their response now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back