AFL Autopsy RND 16: Loss To The Pussies

Remove this Banner Ad

All indications were that we were about to be blown apart regardless. Geelong got alot of calls their way.. and crucial ones.. but they were the only team that showed up that quarter.
I disagree.
That Draper one was a 2 goal swing. Then another 3 bad decisions in the following 5-10 mins. All resulting in either Geelong goals or Essendon non potential goals. We were right in the game up until that point.

Bradball is tight, defensive footy, which he says means the games will remain close, notwithstanding the opponent. Okay in theory, but it means you never ice a game and always have to play four quarters at full intensity to secure the win. Successful teams can go to another level to create scoreboard pressure, but we just grind the game plan all night and assume the score will tick over, but against GC and CFC, we saw that this pure system approach doesn't guarantee success, despite winning key metrics. Not saying we need to go back to Knights-era slingshot footy, but gotta be able to turn the screw sometimes...
Nah, Bradball as you call it is a furphy. It is more that we do not take our chances when we have the game on our terms. When we dominate fwd 50 entries we are not playing defensive at all. It is our efficiency inside 50 which is killing us. Our small forwards were poor tonight. Guelfi and Gresham harldy sighted and Hind looked like he put oil on his hands insread of grippo. Imagine how different it would be if we had Hill and Papley!

We had 4 more inside 50s tonight but cats were 15% more efficient. There disposal was much cleaner and they took 24 more marks when we even went in so tall.

Last edited:

at our best this season we have been an elite pressure side. That has been our trump card. We aren’t overly skillfull, but we are fit and we will keep coming at you till the end.

Now I ask, can we be that with 2 rucks and 2mp in the side?

Brad needs to make some tough calls. Each player has their flaws, and I’m not sure there is that perfect combination.

2mp is the best forward of the bunch but has been completely pathetic when put in the ruck.

Draper is far too inconsistent. For every good moment there’s a bad moment around the corner, can compete as a fwd but average in that area.

Goldy best is worse than the two above but he is pretty consistent. Absolutely horrible when handballs aren’t directly to him and doesn’t really have an impact up forward but is the best tap ruckman and doesn’t make howling mistakes like Draper.

I just don’t know what the right mix is but it can’t be all 3. Could cox chop out more as the second ruck?

Draper is far too inconsistent. For every good moment there’s a bad moment around the corner, can compete as a fwd but average in that area
Let's face it, even if the free were paid (****ing maggots) does anyone truly back Draper in to nail that shot 30m out directly in front?

Hey Carl Tone Your life that pathetic that you have to go on opposition boards and laugh at posts to feel good about yourself hey? You probably have a tiny pecker too. Sorry man. Hope life gets better for you and that you at least get a job, even if it's cleaning public toilets. Cheers.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

excuse my intrusion I come in peace.
I watched that game with no emotional attachment to either teams I hate you both and was happy to watch somebody lose but that pathetic excuse for an umpiring performance in the 3rd qtr just can’t be ignored.
The Draper non arm chop decision, the rushed behind, the holding the ball decision and then the non call against Stewart at the other end.
I’m sorry but this was absolutely disgusting and completely changed the momentum.
I usually don’t blame the umpires and you probably should’ve found another gear in the last qtr but the maggots clearly and I mean clearly influenced that match.
Coming from somebody who couldn’t care less about the bombers.
You was robbed I’d be asking questions
It was surreal at the ground.
Felt like everyone knew exactly what was happening but no one could really believe it. Then it just happened again, and again and again till the game had the air completely let out of it.

Most of our recent wins have been largely on the back of Durham, Caldwell and Merrett, Calders was probably our only clear winner tonight.

Carrying too many that are out of form, off the top of my head:

Langford (if he’s injured rest him)
Gresham
Wright
Perkins (has been awful for a month at least)
Martin is down, gets heaps of it but burns it
Menzie isn’t up to it
McKay has been ordinary for 4-5 weeks
Ridley apart from Richmond game is finding his feet again

That’s a 3rd of the team either battling or completely out of form.

Make a selection statement
would add Redman to that list

Because what is the point of it all
They have to more resilient than that, I don't care that we lost but the effort in the 4th was pathetic. At this stage in our development we need to focus on culture change and demanding professional process from the boys. It looked like they were shattered.

Geelong, Collingwood never seem to give up like that.

Last edited:
Genuinely think we're trying to pinch 1 finals win and we've given up the opportunity to develop some players at the top level. Some of the guys we're playing aren't good enough and won't help us in 2025 and beyond. Bryan, Caddy, Roberts, Hayes and Tsatas could've been given bigger minutes in natural roles.

They have to more resilient than that, I don't care that we lost but the effort in the 4th was pathetic. At this stage in our development we need to focus on culture change and demanding professional process from the boys. It looked like they were shattered.

Geelong, Collingwood never seem to give up like that.
As angry about the 3rd quarter as i was, does anyone think if we lead by 20 points at 3 quarter time that we'd continue on with the business and run away from them?

Hell no. We dominated WCE and had them within 2 goals late in the game. Theres no ruthlessness in our game style, dna or team selection.

We carried a 5 point lead from a good first half against a side that had won a single game since April, yet we totally melted as soon as things got a little tough. Good sides rally, shit ones turn up their toes.

We had to win 2 of the 3 games to keep our season on track, i doubt we'll beat Collingwood or Melbourne. No lock against the Saints or Adelaide either.

Our run home is pretty much identical to lasy year, set-up to control you own destiny, yet in capable of being able to do anything when it matters. RIP 2024,

Stewart gets tagged out of multiple games, zero impact. Hang on says Chris- I know a magic trick, if we start him on the ball he will just disappear then I'll make him reappear in his normal position floating across defence taking marks and controlling

Brad: where did he go? Wait how did you do that? Amazing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back