AFL Autopsy RND 16: Loss To The Pussies

Remove this Banner Ad

Umps killed momentum. They had a absolute stinker.

Unfortunately, as a result players got frustrated and lost concentration. Need to be better than that and was poor by our leaders.

Would have preferred someone giving ump a proper spray and even a 50 and then reset. Trying to hide the frustration and being clearly distracted for the rest of the game didnt work. Like get it properly out, run through someone/let the umps know they have been useless and move on. Get a 50, fine and then switch back on. We just seem to be clearly annoyed but dont do anything and internalise the anger. Weren't able to slow the game down or even calmly chat to the umps at 3 quarter time about it.

Instead we just ran around frustrated and complained and got smashed in the 2nd half.

Incompetent/biased umpiring put a gap in the game in the 3rd quarter, but we dropped the bundle as a result.

The former is nothing we can do anything about, the latter certainly is. A genuine top 4 side might overcome it, and that we are clearly not at this stage.

That being said, if Scott doesnt go postal in the presser i might instead.
Problem is this team has been dumped on my umpiring for 20 years. Once the bad umpiring starts they are so used to it continuing they drop their bundles and capitulate.
The non free to Draper for arm chop or front on contact was the worst decision I have seen this year. Actually running the ball across the line from 2m out and getting pinned by McKenzie is up there. I thought they changed the rule a few years ago so you could run through from 5m out if there was a opposition player there

Last edited:
Need to win the next 2.

2mp, and two rucks doesn't work. Will hold off on scott until after the next game but really need some games into caddy, roberts, Hayes, tsatas, byran.

Would have liked to see roberts, as the Geelong first gamer did pretty well.

We have been a bit flat for 5 weeks and really miss some youthfull enthusiasm. Caddy bought that to the team last week.

Did we genuinely allow Stewart to play unaccountable footy after the evidence we’ve seen over the last few months on how effective it is to tame him?
Guelfi was on him at the start, then he went into the middle and was on Durham. Then Stewart drifted down back and no one picked him up once we lost our heads.

Players clearly distracted in 2nd half after the worst qtr of umpiring I can remember. We totally lost our way and focus. Including structurally.

Umpires will have absolute shockers from time to time but we need to respond better. Scott was clearly frustrated and distracted in the box going by TV images.

****ed umpiring in the third completely ended any run we had and if you argue otherwise, you weren’t watching the same game.

Yes, we should have let it galvanise us and not flatten us, but the fact it happened at all is an utter indictment on this league and the farcical standard of umpiring we have.

A complete joke.
Honestly, this was possibly the worst quarter of umpiring (in a negative way against us) that I can remember.

Disappointed but not overly shocked. have enjoyed the wins as they have come along but have also been very consistent on where I think we are at and that is still a level or two below genuine top 4 sides that win finals.

We simply lack polish under pressure. Too many mistakes skill wise that kill our momentum and lead to us not maximizing the amount of chances we create.

FootyGuru mentioned the high press issue and I agree . We get burnt going the other way by the skill errors we make and can not defend them well enough.

Also agree with FooyGuru on the Draper / Goldy / 2MP situation. Can not go with all 3. Not even in the dry.

Our midfield wins clearance but a lot of it is not clean effective stuff . There is a lot of rushed almost panic stuff.

The team defense was poor last week but we got away with it. Second half this week it simply fell apart.

We are where we are at. Have done well to win games against sides around our level and under but that is our lot.

Marto has to play wing/HFF not Hepp or Kelly

Forward line set up needs to change

One ruck and 2MP ONLY

Shiel needs to come in - DP3 can't get back quickly enough

A very good first half - a very poor second half that had a lack of response and ill discipline - not helped by Dangerflog's AFL umpire mates looking after the kitties

All that despite having plenty of the ball and plenty of Inside 50's and opportunities and only kicking 2 goals in the 2nd half

MASSIVE GAME NEXT WEEK

Disappointed Will Ferrell GIF by PeacockTV

Umps killed momentum. They had a absolute stinker.

Unfortunately, as a result players got frustrated and lost concentration. Need to be better than that and was poor by our leaders.

Would have preferred someone giving ump a proper spray and even a 50 and then reset. Trying to hide the frustration and being clearly distracted for the rest of the game didnt work. Like get it properly out, run through someone/let the umps know they have been useless and move on. Get a 50, fine and then switch back on. We just seem to be clearly annoyed but dont do anything and internalise the anger. Weren't able to slow the game down or even calmly chat to the umps at 3 quarter time about it.

Instead we just ran around frustrated and complained and got smashed in the 2nd half.
Did Zach go to any of the umpires at 3/4 time to seek clarification at all?
I love Zach but I am interested to know if he did this and brought whatever version of the '**** you' message it was, back to the shed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having slept on it I'm now angrier at the way we rolled over when faced with adversity than I am with that 3rd quarter umpiring.

I'm still irate about the umpiring, but our meek performance from that point on showed we're mental pygmies, and we won't go anywhere until that gets addressed as a collective, not by an individual or 2.

Anybody have the stats on Cats score from turnover?

Think this was huge last night.
Geelong 11.7.73
Essendon 4.4.28

Scores from stoppage even.5.2.32 each.
Scores from center bounce. Essendon 3.0.18. Geelong 2.0.12
Defensive half scores. Geelong 9.3.57 Essendon 1.4.10

So we gave up too much form turnover and could not move the footy well enough to score from the back end.

The one not paid to Draper was about as corrupt as it gets. There was a weird dissonance thinking yep we have the free even though there was no whistle.
Multiple times in the 3rd all players stopped waiting for a whistle, that never came so they all got on with it. Strange to see that once in a game most games let alone a handful of times in one quarter

Geelong 11.7.73
Essendon 4.4.28

Scores from stoppage even.5.2.32 each.
Scores from center bounce. Essendon 3.0.18. Geelong 2.0.12
Defensive half scores. Geelong 9.3.57 Essendon 1.4.10

So we gave up too much form turnover and could not move the footy well enough to score from the back end.
Well that is the game. We turn the ball over too much in forward half.

Well that is the game. We turn the ball over too much in forward half.
Yep. Skill level and butchering opportunities going forward leading to scores going the other way and the defensive transition falling apart. The 3 loses have all been on the back of the same issues. The difference this week was we simply folded in the second half.

Had some time to stew (and sleep) after watching the Azzurri Essington their way out of the Euros this morning…

Glass half full…the competition is stumbling…we are still 4th, and will remain 4th after 3 losses in the past 4 games…someone or something wants us in the top 4 for now…

The accompanying free fall down the ladder (which usually would have happened by now) will happen in the next 2 weeks…we’ve been given chances…a couple of wins there and the benefits are two fold…everyone will stop going on about us not beating anyone of significance, and we’ll cement our place in top 4.

We haven’t really paid the price for our form just yet, so the message should be to just take one of the multiple chances we have been given…and don’t f***k it up any more

Honestly, this was possibly the worst quarter of umpiring (in a negative way against us) that I can remember.
The worst overall I have seen was vs Sydney a few years back where even Tippa was going nuts at the umps - I think that was the one people were saying Mollison gave 15 zip. But that 10 or so minutes last night they resulted in a clear 4-5 goal differential on a wet evening, never seen anything like it. Agreed with whoever said the non free to Draper the worst one this year and guess who - Mollison. But there was another howler and it was the SCG yesterday where the umps did everything they could to get Sydney over the line and kudos to Freo for withstanding all that.

Stewart gets tagged out of multiple games, zero impact. Hang on says Chris- I know a magic trick, if we start him on the ball he will just disappear then I'll make him reappear in his normal position floating across defence taking marks and controlling

Brad: where did he go? Wait how did you do that? Amazing
In fairness to Brad, he did get one over Chris by playing all those talls. I'd bet he still can't even believe it.

The worst overall I have seen was vs Sydney a few years back where even Tippa was going nuts at the umps - I think that was the one people were saying Mollison gave 15 zip. But that 10 or so minutes last night they resulted in a clear 4-5 goal differential on a wet evening, never seen anything like it. Agreed with whoever said the non free to Draper the worst one this year and guess who - Mollison. But there was another howler and it was the SCG yesterday where the umps did everything they could to get Sydney over the line and kudos to Freo for withstanding all that.

Watched the Freo game & yes, you could literally see the umps working Sydney back into the game.

I want to impartially watch the 3rd quarter of our game again but don't think I can without breaking some shit.

What is there to say?

Some glaring decisions go against and instead of fighting through it, mentally we crumble and give up the game.

Thats a worry.
It's a worry alright. I know we are a developing side with many holes still, but this is the first thing that should be looked at. Mental strength.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 16: Loss To The Pussies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back