AFL Autopsy RND 16: Loss To The Pussies

Remove this Banner Ad

Decent and justified melts in here, and I was melting also…but we’re still 4th…

I’ll definitely melt again when we actually pay a proper consequence for the shit performances.

If you’re off 5% in this game today you’ll pay…look at the rest of the competition including Sydney, Pies and Carlton…

We banked wins when we should have and that has helped this situation a bit…probs not a top 4 team by the end of the season but at least it’s still on our terms and not relying on others…

This is looking like an almost-there year so far…hopefully the burning from some of these losses will drive us into dominating next year…can only hope…

Having slept on it I'm now angrier at the way we rolled over when faced with adversity than I am with that 3rd quarter umpiring.

I'm still irate about the umpiring, but our meek performance from that point on showed we're mental pygmies, and we won't go anywhere until that gets addressed as a collective, not by an individual or 2.
On the money here. That third quarter display by the umpires played a significant role in the way the game played out but our response was meek and the way we just rolled over and accepted it was late 2023 stuff.

Same old Same Olds. Once it got hot in the kitchen we were cooked.
The coach has to learn that the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result every time. How many times have we seen Lav or any other defender beaten out the back and oppo run into open goal. Piss the forward press off or change it to include some safety in the back third. If players can’t follow defensive rules and continually get beaten the same way, piss them off or change their bad habits. Ball watching defenders don’t win finals.

On the money here. That third quarter display by the umpires played a significant role in the way the game played out but our response was meek and the way we just rolled over and accepted it was late 2023 stuff.
And you could tell Scott knew it.

How we respond this week will be telling. We responded post Port game against the Doggies so there is hope.

Pies will go in favorites which isn't a bad thing.

The coach has to learn that the definition of insanity is repeating the same thing over and over and hoping for a different result every time. How many times have we seen Lav or any other defender beaten out the back and oppo run into open goal. Piss the forward press off or change it to include some safety in the back third. If players can’t follow defensive rules and continually get beaten the same way, piss them off or change their bad habits. Ball watching defenders don’t win finals.
Also, we turn the ball over in fwd half too much which gives opposition easy rebound, No team can defend that.

Hit targets with hand and foot our defense will look a lot better.

Yes, we didn't respond well. But momentum is a beast to pull back. Not many sides can arrest it. That amount of scoreboard resulting bad calls would have rattled any team.

The worst overall I have seen was vs Sydney a few years back where even Tippa was going nuts at the umps - I think that was the one people were saying Mollison gave 15 zip. But that 10 or so minutes last night they resulted in a clear 4-5 goal differential on a wet evening, never seen anything like it. Agreed with whoever said the non free to Draper the worst one this year and guess who - Mollison. But there was another howler and it was the SCG yesterday where the umps did everything they could to get Sydney over the line and kudos to Freo for withstanding all that.
Couldn’t have happened to a more deserving team in the swans.

Went back and watched the third quarter including

• the Draper non free for front on/arm chop
  • the Draper free against for a block (Draper was clearly pissed here) leading to the Rohan goal
  • The harsh holding the ball free against Stringer at half forward
  • The Menzie free against for deliberate
  • The Ridley free against for holding the ball

Every decision bar the Draper block free drew surprise and criticism from the commentators.

I can’t recall a run against us that has had such a direct scoreboard impact. It was deflating just watching the game and I can’t imagine how it would have been for the players.

Of course it’s also disappointing that we couldn’t respond but we should never have been in the position in the first place.

I've said for years that it is not good defence if the ball gets over the back of the contest.
We do it continually (have done for years) and then the defenders have to turn around and face the goal we are defending.
In the wet it is even more important.
This is pretty basic shit tbh...

• the Draper free against for a block (Draper was clearly pissed here) leading to the Rohan goal

Every decision bar the Draper block free drew surprise and criticism from the commentators.

I can’t recall a run against us that has had such a direct scoreboard impact. It was deflating just watching the game and I can’t imagine how it would have been for the players.

Of course it’s also disappointing that we couldn’t respond but we should never have been in the position in the first place.
Glad someone has highlighted this effectively.

Fans have every right to be massively pissed off at how we were screwed by terrible umpiring. Those of us getting vocal about it are not saying that it was the reason for losing. We’re still not good enough to consistently respond to things going against us. Brad has been rightly using the mantra of controlling the controllables and not being affected by the uncontrollables. We still have a way to go there.

But let’s face it. The game as an enjoyment was completely ruined in that 3rd qtr. Without the influence of poor umpiring I think we would’ve been right in the contest until the end. You watch sport knowing that your team might lose because they’re not up to it. But when a third party (ie the umps) shift the balance of a game due to a qtr of one-sided adjudicating it completely ruins your experience of the game, whether your team is up to it or not.

I've said many times that complaining about umps is useless because horrible calls here and there will happen, but that 3rd quarter was an exception. Even in a win I would still bring it up as an absolute rort.

And, can you really blame the guys for dropping their bundle off the back of what would've already been a mentally taxing "us vs the Cats hoodoo" game? I dropped my bundle as a spectator.

Having said that, this season is super even, it's only because of recency bias that we are looking at that and thinking that's somehow a trend now because of other losses. I think we saw a developing team having a hiccup which a season like this can cause, as well as the reactions stemming from some prior expectation that we were a contender when we weren't and aren't. We are not there yet. But we have improved a lot and to use this loss as a way to deflect from that is unfair to the boys in my opinion.

Also the Stewart holding the ball 40 out, and the clearing kick out of bounds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every single fanbase in the world will not be happy after a loss. But most weren't melting after those losses because they simply weren't bad losses.
Yeah, I think you need to go back and look again. Plenty of fans had a meltdown after those losses. Just because this is a bigger melt, doesn't mean those weren't either

Decent and justified melts in here, and I was melting also…but we’re still 4th…

I’ll definitely melt again when we actually pay a proper consequence for the shit performances.

If you’re off 5% in this game today you’ll pay…look at the rest of the competition including Sydney, Pies and Carlton…

We banked wins when we should have and that has helped this situation a bit…probs not a top 4 team by the end of the season but at least it’s still on our terms and not relying on others…

This is looking like an almost-there year so far…hopefully the burning from some of these losses will drive us into dominating next year…can only hope…

How many years in a row have we been saying this though? We need to make some legitimate, actual changes. This 22 + Ainsworth isn’t doing anything.

Plus all the incorrect disposal/HTB ones not called against the cats. OK, you never get them all but there were aboout 5 and we got zero.

Hard to read much into that game. You'd accept those umpiring decisions spread over 4 quarters, but all in one quarter and in quick succession is what is hard to take. It was bizarre to watch.

Essendon supporters and melting when we lose, name a more iconic duo?

It was a bad loss in a winnable game. Our inability to retain the ball I50 kills us, we're going in way too tall. Can't play the two rucks from here and Langford still looks injured.
He seems to be moving fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back