AFL Autopsy RND 16: Loss To The Pussies

Remove this Banner Ad

Umpiring decisions aside, the lack of a quality small forward cost us the game.
I don't disagree, but we really got beaten in every section of the ground, not just forward ground balls.

If you have such bad luck in succession from the umpires and can't hold it together, how can you hold it together when a side like Sydney or Carlton get a run-on against you?

Learning how to arrest a bad patch and nullify things is what Premiership (Or top 2-4) teams do. We can't do that consistently.

Shouldn't include the one-arm holding the ball decision, because there was an exact same thing paid in our favour not long after.

I thought our problem was our transition into the forward line and letting the cats through the middle with overlapping run too much.

the one-arm holding the ball decision is correct, it's just a terrible rule. it's like how you only get called for kicking in danger where everything is already going wrong in the game, and so we get mad at it even though it's probably right

The fact the media glossed over it when it was on the teaching tape and explained how they were going to rule it, boggles my mind.
Everyone just waived it through to the keeper and clapped their hands when they changed the interpretation.

Just a shocking rule which actively promotes incorrect disposal. The fact you can throw it at your foot and miss entirely and not get pinged yet can be running into goal and get tackled while kicking and miss your foot and get pinged is just the inconsistent crap that's been introduced into this game which just doesn't have to be the case.

The fact the media glossed over it when it was on the teaching tape and explained how they were going to rule it, boggles my mind.
Everyone just waived it through to the keeper and clapped their hands when they changed the interpretation.

Just a shocking rule which actively promotes incorrect disposal. The fact you can throw it at your foot and miss entirely and not get pinged yet can be running into goal and get tackled while kicking and miss your foot and get pinged is just the inconsistent crap that's been introduced into this game which just doesn't have to be the case.
You can also throw it over your head... umpires are cool with that too..

the one-arm holding the ball decision is correct, it's just a terrible rule. it's like how you only get called for kicking in danger where everything is already going wrong in the game, and so we get mad at it even though it's probably right

Agree it was there, but there were two htb decisions at the other end for us that werent called in the same 5 minute period. Dont pay them, dont pay this.

Candidly I'm not sure how we play Wright, Langford, Stringer and a resting ruck in the forward line. Those first three + guelfi as defensive forward + gresham as the high half forward and then a quality small forward. That ought be set up. If we're not ready to give Jayden a look then we need to go hard in the off season to fill the gap. Menzies is simply not AFL-level, Tex appears to be making one last fist of it in defense, and ADJ is a midfielder and ought be allowed to play there, so he's not the answer either.

Obviously massacred by the umpires in the 3rd quarter but that was still only a 3-4 goal deficit. No excuse for our poor conversion of dominance in the second quarter or to just give up in the 4th

literally the theme of the entire season.

We cannot score during patches where we hold momentum, but we can't stop others scoring when they have it.

I'm not sure if its personnel, or structure (probably a mix of both) but our offence, is a massive issue that needs to be rectified.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Obviously massacred by the umpires in the 3rd quarter but that was still only a 3-4 goal deficit. No excuse for our poor conversion of dominance in the second quarter or to just give up in the 4th

literally the theme of the entire season.

We cannot score during patches where we hold momentum, but we can't stop others scoring when they have it.

I'm not sure if its personnel, or structure (probably a mix of both) but our offence, is a massive issue that needs to be rectified.

Spot on!
The umpiring was diabolical - but if we are up by 4 or 5 goals (rather than points) at the half it doesn't matter as much.
Plenty to work on.

If you have such bad luck in succession from the umpires and can't hold it together, how can you hold it together when a side like Sydney or Carlton get a run-on against you?

Learning how to arrest a bad patch and nullify things is what Premiership (Or top 2-4) teams do. We can't do that consistently.

Shouldn't include the one-arm holding the ball decision, because there was an exact same thing paid in our favour not long after.

I thought our problem was our transition into the forward line and letting the cats through the middle with overlapping run too much.
Both those decisions were incorrect (two wrongs don't make a right).

Went back and watched the third quarter including

• the Draper non free for front on/arm chop
  • the Draper free against for a block (Draper was clearly pissed here) leading to the Rohan goal
  • The harsh holding the ball free against Stringer at half forward
  • The Menzie free against for deliberate
  • The Ridley free against for holding the ball

Every decision bar the Draper block free drew surprise and criticism from the commentators.

I can’t recall a run against us that has had such a direct scoreboard impact. It was deflating just watching the game and I can’t imagine how it would have been for the players.

Of course it’s also disappointing that we couldn’t respond but we should never have been in the position in the first place.
and, let's not forget, this doesn't include the other side of the ledger. That is, the OOB deliberate not paid to Geelong; the numerous holding the balls not paid against Geelong, during the same period. Just blatant inconsistency at best.

I get annoyed with umpires but I always know deep down it's a tough gig, they're doing their best, and conspiracies are for morons.

But Saturday night was the most egregious displayed of one-sided, or biased, umpiring I've ever seen. I don't know why or how, but it was so outrageous that I can't believe it was just "one of those things", or just the way the cards fell. It was utterly putrid.

Now, people can say it wasn't the reason we lost, and I'm damn glad that's the approach Scott took, publicly at least. But here's the thing: AFL footy in 2024 more than any other time is about momentum. And the umpires single-handedly took that momentum and gave it to Geelong on a silver platter. It killed the game. We had it for most of the first half, and it was on us that we didn't make the most of it, but it was ****ing devastated in the third by the umpires. Should our boys have been able to get past it? Yeah sure, I guess. But that's the thing. This was so egregious that it almost seems to me to be unreasonable to expect it. I know I was gobsmacked, as were all of you. It's singularly telling that even the commentators were talking about it, and they almost never bother highlighting poor or inconsistent umpiring.

There's no other conclusion to draw other than the umpiring was an utter disgrace and I hope I never see anything like it again. It ruined the game entirely. I don't blame the players for dropping their heads, frankly, as bad as that sounds. It was truly awful and genuinely biased for whatever reason. I turned off in protest 5m into the last quarter and played Playstation because life's too short for that shit

Last edited:
I don't often turn off games, even if we're losing badly. But I was so incensed during that 3rd quarter I had to turn it off and walk away. I vented to my wife at the time, and (for a non-football person) she was extremely patient with my ranting. I said at the time it killed our momentum and you could see the guys deflating, and I predicted we'd lose by a fair margin after that.

And it's not just the umpiring that's inconsistent. I can't get my head around how Wright and Weid can get suspended, and yet other guys are able to get off because of a good bloke clause or some other reason which I can't follow. Just some strange officiating from the AFL lately. Not saying we're getting picked on, I'm sure some other fans/teams would be scratching their heads as well. Just wish the AFL would be consistent.

I don't often turn off games, even if we're losing badly. But I was so incensed during that 3rd quarter I had to turn it off and walk away. I vented to my wife at the time, and (for a non-football person) she was extremely patient with my ranting. I said at the time it killed our momentum and you could see the guys deflating, and I predicted we'd lose by a fair margin after that.

And it's not just the umpiring that's inconsistent. I can't get my head around how Wright and Weid can get suspended, and yet other guys are able to get off because of a good bloke clause or some other reason which I can't follow. Just some strange officiating from the AFL lately. Not saying we're getting picked on, I'm sure some other fans/teams would be scratching their heads as well. Just wish the AFL would be consistent.
If we could ever really coordinate voting with our feet, a fan boycott of a few games might remind the umps and their masters that, as fun as it may be to blatantly shaft us, empty stadiums don’t translate to big salaries or bonuses in the long run

I vented to my wife at the time, and (for a non-football person) she was extremely patient with my ranting.
I don't bother anymore because it goes like this:

Me: 5 minute rant.
MrsB: Well why do you watch it then if it makes you feel this way?
Me: Because I have to.
MrsB: No you don't.
Me:
rage GIF

Bingo.

Said it about other teams (Scumbaggers come to mind) and it rings true here

"A Bad tradesman blames his tools. A bad team blames the tools umpiring the game"

The decisions were bad and they definitely hurt momentum but they didn't make us do bugger all in the last. A good side builds a bridge and gets over it, we are not a good side.

Still not over the umpiring.
But Collingwood or Sydney would've made their way back into this game. The calls and non calls broke our guys spirit - but so did controlling it inside 50 for no reward. They can talk all the want about 'being present' ... but not being able to score against good opposition is having a massive impact in on-field morale. This week it all got too tough and they accepted defeat.

Bingo.

Said it about other teams (Scumbaggers come to mind) and it rings true here

"A Bad tradesman blames his tools. A bad team blames the tools umpiring the game"

The decisions were bad and they definitely hurt momentum but they didn't make us do bugger all in the last. A good side builds a bridge and gets over it, we are not a good side.
A shit load easier to build and cross that bridge when you are constantly getting the rub of the green. that's something in 50 years I have never seen us really get. Rub of green to me is we break even on penalties

Remove this Banner Ad

Back