AFL Autopsy RND 19: Beaten by the Crom

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day you can bitch and moan about Menzie or Kelly or the coach or playing games at Marvel but the is one simple answer.
They are not good enough across the board.
Too many simple errors and bone head plays from not only the bottom 5 but also the top end .
Shit skills. Shit defending. Shit footy IQ .
8 years sounds pretty much right .

Hard to know where to turn to after that

I think its shown weve got gaping holes. Maybe Caddy can save us and hopefully Kako

Liked what i saw from Cox. Durham very good and Redman, Langford

Id rather never see Kelly again this year. Menzie and Gresham are poor

Pulled a few big levers and it didnt do anything

At the end of the day you can bitch and moan about Menzie or Kelly or the coach or playing games at Marvel but the is one simple answer.
They are not good enough across the board.
Too many simple errors and bone head plays from not only the bottom 5 but also the top end .
Shit skills. Shit defending. Shit footy IQ .
8 years sounds pretty much right .
They should have been good enough to win that game but they didn’t.

Had this game on a platter and folded. We are not beating Brisbane or Sydney so
finals is looking very shaky. We aren’t a top 8 team but if we got there, who knows what could happen.
probably the same as the last 15 years. we would have been destroyed and for some reason we would expect to be better next season and when that doesn't happen we'd sack the coach

it's better for this team to miss the finals and be forced to be realistic about where we are at. the West Coast game in Perth should have been all that was needed for anyone with some intelligence to know where we were at, instead people wrote off the terrible performance against a shocking team because we got the four points.

with all that said, maybe we fluke an upset or two and make the finals and maybe even win a final. and it'd be an absolute coin toss if we make the finals next year

They should have been good enough to win that game but they didn’t.
Because they are not. That is it . Until somebody learns about team defence and the terrible skill level improves nothing will happen.
Piss poor skills have burned at least 3 games so far this year.
Of course we can alway bring Tsatas in . He will fit like a glove.

How we don't get someone back in the goalsquare to defend is under 12 stuff
A lot of teams don’t do that anymore.

If you are to allow an extra on the goal line it leaves you outnumbered near the ball and both sides of contest. It comes down to how much importance you want to put on winning the football at stoppage or creating with an extra in defence.

The free man traditionally was created through the oppositions tall forward rucking against our ruckman. Which leaves a key back as the free on the line.

Now midfielders go to stoppage inside fwd 50 and forwards horseshoe the stoppage. Sometimes it’s ruck vs ruck so there isn’t supposed to be a free man.

Where does this man come from?
We saw Langford drop back as an extra, but that leaves us without presentation up the ground if we win the footy in a congested situation.

Generally teams just get their system right, which usually means if the oppo has a fwd rucking our key back might stand in the skinny wingers spot freeing up our winger to give coverage defensively.

In the end generally key fwds want to stand in the goal square in fwd 50 stoppages and that works as our defensive man on the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because they are not. That is it . Until somebody learns about team defence and the terrible skill level improves nothing will happen.
Piss poor skills have burned at least 3 games so far this year.
Of course we can alway bring Tsatas in . He will fit like a glove.
I just think people have got a right to complain as they have to celebrate when we win it’s like if we beat a top team the same logic would be you can celebrate all you like but we won’t win a premiership.

I just think people have got a right to complain as they have to celebrate when we win it’s like if we beat a top team the same logic would be you can celebrate all you like but we won’t win a premiership.
?
I have complained.
Not saying don’t complain but the reality is we lost because we do too much stupid shit and end up shooting ourself. No point saying we should have won .
We lost because we are years away from being any good.

Hopefully the loss actually cements how far off the playing group is to the key decision makers.
Given 8 year plans have been mentioned I suspect they have an idea .

Two rucks vs one and we were minus 11 in hit out.
not just that, O'Brien's last quarter and particularly last 5-10 minutes were huge. He was completley instrumental in kickstarting their resurgence back in the contest late. He was dominant whilst Draper was on the bench.

Draper did some very good things himself, but Goldy just wasn't competitive. Complete passenger. Match lost at the selection table for mine. And that's not even considering some of the insipid defense and pullouts from contests late.

They were two defenders down, Dawson didn't play most of the last quarter.

When the pressure was down, we scored. I'm sure that will happen in finals.
Big tick for where we are going as a club.

At least we started the season well.
What are we lately ? 2 wins out of 7?

How'd some players look tonight?
Goldstein? Awful. Ok he's old he ain't around long.
Menzie? Young but limited footballer. Didn't look great but we have just given him another year. Why?
Gresham? Big money recruit, does a heap of running but seems selfish and another low IQ player. Aside from a snap at the end how much does he add? Maybe a decent floor player?

But I don't think that really illustrates where we are at.

Let's look at some of our key players, some players who we are sticking with and building this team around. Some high picks and extreme draft capital that's supposed to get you superstars.

Draper, dreadful footballing IQ, and hits the post from 10m out.
Not going anywhere though, he will be our ruckman. so he lowers the ceiling.

Wright our big KPF. Dropped for the week.
Can't mark and soft as butter.
Not going anywhere so the ceiling comes down again.

McGrath, our VC who can't kick and the amount of times he loses his man around a pack is shocking. Also a horrendous effort to pick up his man earlier in the match coming into the D50, resulting in a goal.
When coaches say they don't want games to look like tonight, show his ****ing tape.
A leader who ain't going anywhere and will be setting the standards for our team, bring that ceiling down.

Ridley.
We are playing him as a key position player, he was a game changing intercept player. He was spoken like one of our top best players, maybe one of the best in the league.
Now he can't win 1 on 1s and now with a chance to stop the surge and take an intercept mark or spoil the ball he pulls out of a critical contest to what, watch the ball spill. Fogarty goal.
That's a leader, a top liner, failing when we need him.
Maybe he isn't as good as we want? Or need.
Maybe that ceiling comes down again.

Stringer.
What is he offering? He can't run, he can't break tackles, sometimes he can barely kick.
Of course he can run into his own team mates space and bodies if it means he can get a feed, I mean the ball.
Throws out our structure and offers us sweet **** all aside from 2 out of the box performances a year that win is games and inflate our ladder position.

Cox, Perkins, Reid.
The trio. The future. One of the best drafts in a long time with the talent we have brought in. That's what this was spoken about by people at the club. Especially Dodoro.
Well Perkins is a shell of himself.
Cox is a man without a position (but had some good moments tonight after an awful showing last week)
Reid doesn't have a body to play AFL.
3 top 10 picks - Meet the toilet.

We want to win a flag.
At the moment our captain is one of our best players and is closer to 30.
Two of our promising youth we plucked from absolute obscurity (Martin, Durham) can you imagine where we would be without those miracles?

What part of this team is really building towards a sustainable consistent, finals brand with a group that can compete at the pointy end.
What is the brand? Aside from soft uncontested tripe?
What's the plan? What do we target? It's certainly not hard runners, or people that can perform basic skills like kicking a football (hello top 5 pick) or being able to handball (hello $1m a year KPD)

People can have faith in this build, but there is so many things wrong with this team with such a limited scope that that is a long long time away. Not 4 years, not 8 years.
A ****ing decade.

Who's the coach gonna be then?
Is he going to have a genius move like the current coach to swing Martin forward?
I don't know how you can top that genius.

?
I have complained.
Not saying don’t complain but the reality is we lost because we do too much stupid shit and end up shooting ourself. No point saying we should have won .
We lost because we are years away from being any good.
I think we should have won but history will say we didn’t.

Edit: I never said you complained.

The most essendon thing we could do would be re-sign stringer during the week.

So little injuries and we are still no good. Please let's wake up and focus on making the changes we still need to and base selection on development for the future.
The real worry is Adrian Dodoro will bring in more c grade free agents cause #CapSpace and show we can push for a finals spot

Kelly has been ok last 2, McGrath has had a good year. I ain't throwing them out.

Guelfi, Menzie, Lav, Heppell & Goldy should not be part of moving forward IMO.
Agree. Ultimately, those five have become passengers. Hurts to say because Guelf, Lav and Hepp have tried their hardest and love the club. Their ceiling is clear though. They are deadwood.

That said, I reckon we'll only say goodbye to Hepp and Goldy.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 19: Beaten by the Crom

Remove this Banner Ad

Back