AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

First quarter was a joke, I'm not super unhappy because I thought we'd get blown to pieces.

Jones really needs to start icing those set shots. And that transition killed us, nowhere near quick enough to reset after the ball hit the post.

I've got enough Pies supporting mates/relatives that aren't loudmouthed fools about their side that I don't really dislike them that much. Just would've been nice to get the win but that's how it goes sometimes.

Agree there was a ton of positives to take out of the game. It sucks not to get the win but that was some of the best footy we’ve played all year after what I thought were fairly unimpressive performances against GC and Brisbane.

Whilst you are right, i am getting pretty sick of "taking positives from the game". This seems to be the Essendon of the last 20 years.

These types of games mean nothing when you dont actually learn from it and put it into practice. Like we know our defence of transition is rubbish for most of 2022, yet we let it occur in the final play to lose the game.

I fear we go into 2023 thinking of the positives and then we get another 2022 wasted season.

Whilst you are right, i am getting pretty sick of "taking positives from the game". This seems to be the Essendon of the last 20 years.

These types of games mean nothing when you dont actually learn from it and put it into practice. Like we know our defence of transition is rubbish for most of 2022, yet we let it occur in the final play to lose the game.

I fear we go into 2023 thinking of the positives and then we get another 2022 wasted season.

The difference is we haven't historically had a lot of players long term to take "learnings" from games like this. Everyone bar Phillips, Shiel, Heppell, Kelly, Ham and maybe Stringer have minimum 5 years left to go on their careers.

The difference is we haven't historically had a lot of players long term to take "learnings" from games like this. Everyone bar Phillips, Shiel, Heppell, Kelly, Ham and maybe Stringer have minimum 5 years left to go on their careers.

dont think you worded that right?

Normally we've been letting teams do it consistently over 4 quarters for the best part of 5 years that we never had to worry about it happening on the final play cause the game was well and truly over by then.

We made Collingwood look pedestrian for 2½ quarter's that was built on contested football and pressure. We controlled and transitioned the ball utilising the whole ground and it even got to the point were Collingwood players were wailing their hands in the air everytime in a contest looking for a free because they couldn't win a contest. All that domination with zero helter skelter run and gun hope for the best style of football.

Ironically, it was Collingwood who decided to run and gun and take risks in the last ten minutes. It would have been an ideal time for us to do it when we were 3 goals up and should have put our foot on the throat to ice the game.

Last edited:
Strongly recommend watching our review on First Crack to those who haven't seen it. Interesting perspectives.

Just had a look, hard to deny anything they said there, clearly not training for these scenarios.

The one issue they did skip over was the ump not paying the clear 50m penalty to Jones.

It's a shitty grey area, kicking the ball after the whistle has blown. Umpires basically decide that they know what players can hear. Ridiculous.

Murphy may well not have heard a damn thing, but how often do players cop a penalty for exactly the same thing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just had a look, hard to deny anything they said there, clearly not training for these scenarios.

The one issue they did skip over was the ump not paying the clear 50m penalty to Jones.

i dont buy into the 50m thing.

Jones should be slotting that kick, as a key forward. Not to mention we shouldn't be letting them go coast to coast in 20 seconds.

Essendon shat the bed. Gave up a 20 point lead in the last Q that any good team would have consolidated and won.

Hopefully we learn from it, but you know we wont.

i dont buy into the 50m thing.

Jones should be slotting that kick, as a key forward. Not to mention we shouldn't be letting them go coast to coast in 20 seconds.

Essendon shat the bed. Gave up a 20 point lead in the last Q that any good team would have consolidated and won.

Hopefully we learn from it, but you know we wont.

Agree with all of that except the last bit & I'm not saying it cost us the game, Essendon are soley responsible for the loss, however that 50 is simply a penalty that is paid in those circumstances more often than not.

I agree that we are not in a position to rest on our laurels but that 2nd and 3rd quarter was the first time this year I’ve seen us actually put together high standard pressure whilst defending transition well.

It’s a positive sign much more so then our performances against Brisbane and GC.

Agree with all of that, I'm not saying it cost us the game, Essendon are soley responsible for the loss, however that 50 is simply a penalty that is paid in those circumstances more often than not.

it was loud as shit. Gotta give the benefit of the doubt there that he didnt hear the ump. He was facing away from him

I agree that we are not in a position to rest on our laurels but that 2nd and 3rd quarter was the first time this year I’ve seen us actually put together high standard pressure whilst defending transition well.

It’s a positive sign much more so then our performances against Brisbane and GC.

We will see.

just sick of being the team that's always got to find a positive out of a loss instead of just winning the damn game.

Strongly recommend watching our review on First Crack to those who haven't seen it. Interesting perspectives.
I think watching it does a disservice to one's footy IQ, and Essendon as a whole. As has already been pointed out numerous times, Ham just made the wrong decision at the wrong time. Simple as that.

That review was more than two hours after the game and the three of them still couldn't determine what the issue was. Blaming leaders, blaming positioning, waffling on about abstractions. The reality was you can not coach to stop what happened. Footballers make dumb decisions all the time. Ham's just happened to occur at the worst possible time.

I would argue that your leaders were positioned correctly at the end of the game (even if it was unintentional); the corridor was completely clogged up. Seems like the correct set up to me. The irony is that structures often fail in situations like this because the opposition throws their structures out when chasing the game.

Footy analysis can be enlightening at times. Other times it can be complete dross.

Its interesting how much more worked up people are after a loss compared to a win. The truth is our team aren't world beaters but we are getting lots of games into promising youth.

For me its all about getting games into this group of players and having them take more ownership of the team:
Redman, McGrath, Draper, Ridley, Hobbs, Jones, Martin, Caldwell, Durham and Wright plus a few guys that weren't out there like Perkins, D'Ambrosino and Cox.

These are the group of players that will take us forward as a list. As they year's gone on we've seen them take more ownership of the team's results as well. We honestly lack great senior leadership even though we technically do have some good senior players (eg Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Stringer). Its unfortunate but all you can do is develop the next cog.

I reckon right now we are seeing some really promising individual performances that are starting to translate into a more cohesive team performance. But its not consistent.

I think watching it does a disservice to one's footy IQ, and Essendon as a whole. As has already been pointed out numerous times, Ham just made the wrong decision at the wrong time. Simple as that.

That review was more than two hours after the game and the three of them still couldn't determine what the issue was. Blaming leaders, blaming positioning, waffling on about abstractions. The reality was you can not coach to stop what happened. Footballers make dumb decisions all the time. Ham's just happened to occur at the worst possible time.

I would argue that your leaders were positioned correctly at the end of the game (even if it was unintentional); the corridor was completely clogged up. Seems like the correct set up to me. The irony is that structures often fail in situations like this because the opposition throws their structures out when chasing the game.

Footy analysis can be enlightening at times. Other times it can be complete dross.

we were set up really poorly from the kick out. have a look how much space Moore had to mark and go. if Ham stays with Bianco it's proabbly tied up on the wing and game over. but allowing you to take it end to end in essentially 2 kicks is horrendous defending.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back