AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Its interesting how much more worked up people are after a loss compared to a win. The truth is our team aren't world beaters but we are getting lots of games into promising youth.

For me its all about getting games into this group of players and having them take more ownership of the team:
Redman, McGrath, Draper, Ridley, Hobbs, Jones, Martin, Caldwell, Durham and Wright plus a few guys that weren't out there like Perkins, D'Ambrosino and Cox.

These are the group of players that will take us forward as a list. As they year's gone on we've seen them take more ownership of the team's results as well. We honestly lack great senior leadership even though we technically do have some good senior players (eg Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Stringer). Its unfortunate but all you can do is develop the next cog.

I reckon right now we are seeing some really promising individual performances that are starting to translate into a more cohesive team performance. But its not consistent.

I just want to know why Draper was off the ground for so much of the last quarter when he was in the zone, was there a legitimate reasons, or did they just want to give Phillips and Draper equal measure.

Strongly recommend watching our review on First Crack to those who haven't seen it. Interesting perspectives.
Yep, damning that 4 leading midfielders are all 20 metres from goal. Set up the ground FFS.

As an aside - yes it was loud, but the whistle was only 15m from the Collingwood player who kicked the footy after Jones won the free. From the moment he was tackled it was also highly likely to be a HTB free. Should have been 50.

Always annoys me how commentators who would be braying for a 50 if that happened to another team are absolutely silent when it's Essendon. Not even asking the question.

I really enjoyed this game and avoided Big Footy until now as I knew I just wouldn't agree with the melts.

The result in season 2022 doesn't matter. The way we are playing matters. There was so much to like yesterday. Such character and dominance really, once we found our feet. Clearances, pressure, creating turnovers, controlling the ball.

More than any of our recent wins I could see the future in this performance. Draper taking marks around the ground. Intensity and hardness everywhere. Young kids blossoming.

The pies were incredibly slick in the first quarter. They are a good team. From that point we outscored them 72-15 until Stringer and Durham missed those very gettable shots. That's the template for the style we will be playing when we are a great side.

Anyone hanging Jones for hitting the post from 50 needs to give themselves a very firm talking to. And yes the ground set up in the last minute was lazy as hell but easily fixed on review (I'd be looking firmly at Heppell, Merrett and McGrath who need to be showing leadership at moments like that).

But the positives so greatly outweigh the negatives. Go Bombers. I can feel that flag coming.
With our Team stat dominance we win that game 99 times out of 100. Agree, lots to like.

Like a few others here, I’m trying to look on the bright side today. I let myself get invested yesterday and losing at the siren stung but there are a lot of positives to take away.

What’s different now compared with every other year in the past decade or so? I wouldn’t say we have any more prodigious talent necessarily but I feel we have more players on our list who are both natural footy players and at the right age to build a very good team in the coming years. Also keeping that draft pick to top 5ish is helpful, and we know the good teams of recent years had a group of stars they got with top picks. We do need to nail the pick.

Have a good Monday fellas.

Like a few others here, I’m trying to look on the bright side today. I let myself get invested yesterday and losing at the siren stung but there are a lot of positives to take away.

What’s different now compared with every other year in the past decade or so? I wouldn’t say we have any more prodigious talent necessarily but I feel we have more players on our list who are both natural footy players and at the right age to build a very good team in the coming years. Also keeping that draft pick to top 5ish is helpful, and we know the good teams of recent years had a group of stars they got with top picks. We do need to nail the pick.

Have a good Monday fellas.
To me the positive is it feels like there are more young guys that you know will do everything capable to create a contest vs the previous era. At that time we were reliant on raw talent and freakish skills from guys like mckenna, daniher, Fanta, Saad to get us across the line. Now you can see guys like Guelf, Hobbs, Caldwell, redman and even Draper in his own special way really willing themselves when the team needs it to make a spoil/tackle, take a tough contested mark, get the ground ball in congestion etc

I just want to know why Draper was off the ground for so much of the last quarter when he was in the zone, was there a legitimate reasons, or did they just want to give Phillips and Draper equal measure.
Yeah, I thought the same.

Anyone know why he was off for so long? strange decision as Phillips was poor.

All our good and bad on display in one game. I left more optimistic about the future because you can see the foundations are there but there is still a long way to go to be consistently competitive across a whole game let alone a season.

Can you imagine how massive the footy karma bus is going to hit Collingwood after this recent 9 weeks? Wow…

Margins of 4 points (x3), 5 points (x2), 7 points … mostly against sides all sitting low on the ladder.

We know we’ve been rubbish for most of the year and will get what we deserve (a bottom 5 finish and another high draft pick) … the first quarter and final minute of the game were obviously disappointing but we aren’t being delusional with our capabilities.

That footy karma bus I was talking about? Expect them to lose a close one in the next few weeks to cost them an (undeserved) top 4 spot or an Elimination Final loss to either Richmond or the Bulldogs (both of whom have smashed them this year). Just wait for it.

For us? Annoying result for a few days but clearer skies ahead. I suspect we will win that game in 2023… why waste it now in 14th?

Poor last 10 minutes of football, horrible last minute.

Sure, Jones should have kicked the goal, but the team should have been setup for the scenario he didn't, which is where the on-field leaders needed to step up to block / slow down the D50 exit.

A game showcasing the best and worst of Essendon. That we were in the position to win the game after our first quarter was a huge credit to the team, that the first quarter and last minute happened is a huge fail.

For us, we're better off taking the L, the draft pick, and having a group of young players walk away determined not to let it happen to them again and (hopefully) learn from it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yet another game where we only play two and a half quarters.

Yet another game where we play up to our potential way after it actually matters in terms of ladder position.

Yet another offseason coming where we'll be full of optimism for the future.

Yet another year where we have learnt nothing.

Watching some clips today, the key thing I take away from the game is we need more combative players. So many of their goals came from moments where we had physical pressure shrugged off. Whether it be broken tackles, bumps that didn't unbalance them or aerial duels where we didn't get sufficient body on.

We've made some strides in recent times acquiring those types but we need to double down and get another 3-4 players with that Hobbs/Guelfi type of competitiveness.

Watching some clips today, the key thing I take away from the game is we need more combative players. So many of their goals came from moments where we had physical pressure shrugged off. Whether it be broken tackles, bumps that didn't unbalance them or aerial duels where we didn't get sufficient body on.

We've made some strides in recent times acquiring those types but we need to double down and get another 3-4 players with that Hobbs/Guelfi type of competitiveness.

Most of the blue collar comes from our young blokes, which is both good for the future but unfortunate for the now.

He was getting a blister taped up or something similar on his heel, it just took a while to get sock and boot off and get it taped properly by the looks of it.

How they had free players from that kick in needs some explaining.
It's been our biggest problem all season.

Lost it in the first Q when they kicked 6 goal to none. Boys did well to bring it back. In the end it was the composure of experience that won it for the Pies. Proud of our team.

It's been our biggest problem all season.

Lost it in the first Q when they kicked 6 goal to none. Boys did well to bring it back. In the end it was the composure of experience that won it for the Pies. Proud of our team.
good effort, but had serious turn off and do something else vibes in the first.
rest of the game sort of made amends, but not really. So proud feels off for me, but that is personal.

Wasn't really bothered by the outcome (similar to last week).
Win is nice for the belief & culture
Loss is good for the pick and (groan) learnings.

Still young. Still improvement needed from players, coaches, game plan, list.

Pundits can knock the "pressure off" bombers all they like. Suns had a finals spot on the line. Saints as well. Lions, Swans and Pies had top 4. And we held up nicely. Something to be said for turning up when the season is buried and making yourself hard to play against. Just need it consistently....which comes from the above improving.

good effort, but had serious turn off and do something else vibes in the first.
rest of the game sort of made amends, but not really. So proud feels off for me, but that is personal.

Wasn't really bothered by the outcome (similar to last week).
Win is nice for the belief & culture
Loss is good for the pick and (groan) learnings.

Still young. Still improvement needed from players, coaches, game plan, list.

Pundits can knock the "pressure off" bombers all they like. Suns had a finals spot on the line. Saints as well. Lions, Swans and Pies had top 4. And we held up nicely. Something to be said for turning up when the season is buried and making yourself hard to play against. Just need it consistently....which comes from the above improving.
Agree with all you say, summed it up with "proud". Think they gave everything to catch up after the first.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back