AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Truck greenlighting a playing contract to Hepp would be the ultimate piss take.
Summer Melting GIF by ZeTrystan

You’re melting and wanting the coach sacked because we lost a dead rubber to a side sitting 4th by 4 points in a game we dominated for large parts of the game?

Stringer’s decision making and goal kicking was poor in the last quarter. Plenty of opportunities wasted. Collingwood took their opportunities. They’ve done it 8 out of 9 times in games decided by less than 12 points. Not melt worthy.

Besides, this game means nothing for our season anyway.

I'm not melting and it means a lot for our future direction. The signs are there that Truck is amatuer and either we cut our losses early enough and use the tools of greatness for this group ASAP or we are going to tread water.

Game was like Jekyll and Hyde really inconsistent, young mids and Draper strong around the stoppages
The coast to coast at the end shows how poor our onfield leadership is, had 30 seconds to setup behind the ball while Jones was taking his shot
Some senior players I'd expect more from had very poor games Langford and Stringer in particular, wasted some gettable chances and poor defensive pressure

Top 3 worst losses I've experienced in my lifetime. Only behind 1999 (when I was 7) and only slightly behind the Gary Rohan loss (I was at that game, so that stung a lot).

I hate this club sometimes but most of all I hate that Dyson Heppell (the king of mediocrity) gets game after game when he's probably the worst regular in all of footy.

I am mildly concerned that all summer you train for a simple kill like this: < 1 minute left with a team needing to go end-to-end. There wasn’t even a semblance of a structure. Where was the leadership? What was captain Heppell doing? The pies literally run it out with no pressure.

Would liked to have seen Stringer kick that very simple goal in the last qtr to put Essendon 26pts up rather than dump it out on the full. Game over right there. Such a simple shot.

As you can see I was barracking for Essendon. Sick of Collingwood's arsey wins.
Stringer has shit for brains. Early in the quarter he took his time and went back over his mark from about 75 out as if we were going to ice the game from that far out.

Good signs. Great signs actually. A couple of missed set shots and the resukt is different, but our style is starting to show through. Excellent contested work starting to appear full ground. We've got a young side. Really intense, high pressure games like this will be invaluable for guys like Martin and Hobbs. Not unhappy at all.

Add Perkins, Parish, Redman, Cox.

Today's game was better for us than last week's bruise-free win over GC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am mildly concerned that all summer you train for a simple kill like this: < 1 minute left with a team needing to go end-to-end. There wasn’t even a semblance of a structure. Where was the leadership? What was captain Heppell doing? The pies literally run it out with no pressure.
Heppell was leading, that's what he's there for

I thought Langford was really poor in last. Had three occasions to go body on body in a marking contest and just didn’t have the same commitment that Guelfi did when he copped the hit to take the one hander.

I can only assume people focusing on Heppell kicking it to a 2 on 1 have not watched a game of modern football before today

it happens. all the time. Shiel did it near the end, kicking it to no-one. Merrett did it in the first quarter, kicking it straight to Moore. Unfortunately we have a holding the ball rule and a "kick must be 15 meters" rule, so sometimes you need to pump it down the ground as that's the least worst option. it's no big deal whatsoever.

Their 2 good quarters were better than our 2 good quarters.

Oh well, not like it meant anything seeing as our season died in round 4.
Yep, it absolutely sucks losing to them, but nothing today was defining for us.

You could argue that the end result is a better lesson long-term, without actually claiming it was the desired result.

Jones had 2 big opportunities before that in which he just looked out on his feet. Can blame him for those
This. Looked absolutely cooked after his run and tackle. Hit the post, which isn't missing by much.

Plenty of players had missed opportunities in the last quarter.

Hope the players focus on what they could have individually done better instead of fobbing it off on one player missing a goal.

Nice to see a complete turn around after quarter time.

Was Draper off for too long in the last?

Pies always play to the death against us. I think we relaxed a bit.

If this doesn't make the club bleed nothing will. I would replay that last minute to the players 100 times this week.
I'd lose my shit at them. Had them twice this year but for bad kicking. Let it burn, campaigners.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 19: Loss to the Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Back