AFL Toast RND 21: We Gave Freo The Old Heave Ho!

Remove this Banner Ad

So…

It’s obvious that fitness or “running out of legs” (as many people have suggested) hasn’t been our problem based on our intent, run, and pressure in that last quarter.

Are we all agreed?

Therefore, our problems the past few weeks have been a combination of:

• mental
  • wrong players
  • players playing in wrong positions
  • gameplan/approach

These are ALL coaching problems.

Just sayin’.

Completely different game when we are getting taps to advantage and winning clearances. Shiel and Parish were doing some great things, the balance between Draper and Bryan is so much more cohesive too. Letting Draper rest before the last dual with Darcy was a great call. Was waiting for the change to Jackson to happen and it never did. You would also think Laverde would have to be straight omitted after a game like that.

So…

It’s obvious that fitness or “running out of legs” (as many people have suggested) hasn’t been our problem based on our intent, run, and pressure in that last quarter.

Well no, it's not obvious at all. What should be obvious is that determining whether our fitness, work-rate, effort and 'hardness' was good or not based solely on whether we over-performed expectations or under-performed expectations is not a very good way to determine whether those things were, in fact, good or bad.

nevertheless, because we over-performed expectations, our effort, hard work and fitness levels were obviously excellent today. clearly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is it in the club that needs to apologise to Shiel? My God I want him to stay.

Pretty much the usual suspects were good/great and the usual were bad.

Merrett BOG for me. Caldwell and Durham awesome. Those three their usual selves, really. Roberts looked really good for game 1. Bryan not excellent, but pretty good (looks to at least be a good enough back up ruck).

I can’t believe Duursma only had 11 touches - his impact was massive again I thought.

The negatives were the same olds, but I’d rather celebrate the win

Completely different game when we are getting taps to advantage and winning clearances. Shiel and Parish were doing some great things, the balance between Draper and Bryan is so much more cohesive too. Letting Draper rest before the last dual with Darcy was a great call. Was waiting for the change to Jackson to happen and it never did. You would also think Laverde would have to be straight omitted after a game like that.

Straight swap for Heppell? :drunk:

I actually reckon Stringer has had a pretty decent year. 38 goals while also doing his centre bounce/mid thing is not a bad return so far. I know he can pick and choose a bit but apart from Davey he is the only one explosive enough to make defenders sweat a bit and apply pressure. He’s given his all most weeks IMO.

I actually reckon Stringer has had a pretty decent year. 38 goals while also doing his centre bounce/mid thing is not a bad return so far. I know he can pick and choose a bit but apart from Davey he is the only one explosive enough to make defenders sweat a bit and apply pressure. He’s given his all most weeks IMO.

Just needs to be left to play as a forward where his power and creativity is going to cause the most issues.

Better to rely on Durham and Caldwell in the midfield IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast RND 21: We Gave Freo The Old Heave Ho!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back