AFL Toast RND 21: We Gave Freo The Old Heave Ho!

Remove this Banner Ad

when langford dropped that sitter with 5:30 to go

y u do dis brooks laich GIF
Me too...
FFS it was one of few nice passes into the forward and he made a meal of it.

A cooked heppel and goldy and uncompetitive Wright don't help in trying to run out games.
Goldy was great for us early and could still have a role to play next year, keep him on our list.
Heppell has been good this year but, time has come, perfect timing for 'THE SEND OFF GAME'.
Wright is a no brainer, keep.

The worry was still the opposition walking the ball from D50. The lack of tackling and pressure from the smalls will hold us back. The turnover game was prevalent and engrained in our DNA for a decade.

I want to see us do something different to walk away from a game going, "yep".

Caldwell a gun, Merrett, the best since Hird, Redman return to form was good to see.

I particularly liked the Durham across half forward move. Made us bat deeper in the midfield group and we saw the depth prove its worth in the end with Martin cashing in during the 4th quarter.

Will echo the sentiments, Laverde was down right putrid. Almost worth votes for Fremantle today

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldy was great for us early and could still have a role to play next year, keep him on our list.
Heppell has been good this year but, time has come, perfect timing for 'THE SEND OFF GAME'.
Wright is a no brainer, keep.
The send off game only comes if when finals can’t be made, the club has already wasted 3yrs on him and I’d much preferred to have D’Ambrosio played all Heps games last year and still been on our list this year, the rest of the list deserves every chance to keep the season going

Just needs to be left to play as a forward where his power and creativity is going to cause the most issues.

Better to rely on Durham and Caldwell in the midfield IMO.
If Shiel could consistently provide the explosive clearances out the front of the centre square that he did late today it would be much easier to leave Stringer permanently down forward.

Davey ain’t gonna make it. This was a diabolical “effort” from stoppage that gave Freo their last shot on goal. If he can’t 1. Be set up correctly 2. Actually have a crack at this stage of the game (or any other stage) he’s just not up to it. That should be played in slow motion on the big screen in front of the team same time as he’s told he’s done in league footy for the year. Essington accepts this shit and it’s why we’re shit View attachment IMG_5700.mov

Davey ain’t gonna make it. This was a diabolical “effort” from stoppage that gave Freo their last shot on goal. If he can’t 1. Be set up correctly 2. Actually have a crack at this stage of the game (or any other stage) he’s just not up to it. That should be played in slow motion on the big screen in front of the team same time as he’s told he’s done in league footy for the year. Essington accepts this shit and it’s why we’re shit View attachment 2069217

Yep that was a shit effort. Now show the half dozen good efforts he had in that quarter too.

Won all the big 50/50 contests in the last quarter.

McKay had 2 clean wins against Treacy and 2 more that should have been paid intercept marks but were called play on for some reason, Roberts 2 extremely slick, pinpoint releasing handballs in tight and a key intercept mark where he tracked back as the winger and was right where he needed to be, Kelly and Merrett key smothers, Draper a couple of key clunks and hit outs.

Shiel spent the first 5 minutes of the last on the pine and then came on and went absolutely thermonuclear for about 9 minutes and basically turned the game on his own.

Still not convinced on Laverde and Kelly being in our best 23, but a win is a win. and fairly even contribution otherwise across the park.

I know it goes against his DNA but could we convince Brad to blood another youngster next week? Hayes in for Laverde? If his debut is half as good as Archie was today we will be in good stead.

Really pleased with the selections going into this one. In previous times, Scott would have gone with Goldstein. Bringing in Bryan instead is a massive tick - we need to games into this fella.

Giving Roberts a game was also a massive tick, as was his decision to drop Wright and keep Caddy. These 3 must play out the season IMO.

Poor old Laverde had a shocker. I feel bad for the guy because he tries but he makes too many errors. He must have conceded about 4 goals. I wonder if Scott might replace him with Hayes next week. Cox spent a lot of time down back. Not sure where he's heading.

I know most are skeptical about Menzie, but I suspect we have to give him a consistent role over a period of weeks to see what he can do, as opposed to trialling him in different spots. He made a few errors today, but his endeavour was good.

Our burst in the fourth quarter was as good as I've seen us play this year. Hopefully, the boys can back up that effort next week against the Suns.

No negatives for me on this game. Yes there where some but I am savoring the win . In a round where the top side goes under by 100 points one can only say football has gone mad .
Glad I went in the end. Was not going to but changed my mind late. Now working on 6 hours sleep.
Game had all the emotions. Good start to good effort and a honorable loss but could have been better to no not another bloody draw to elation of actually winning the clearance with 30 seconds to go.
Go Bombers.

The send off game only comes if when finals can’t be made, the club has already wasted 3yrs on him and I’d much preferred to have D’Ambrosio played all Heps games last year and still been on our list this year, the rest of the list deserves every chance to keep the season going
This gifting games stuff should be part of Scott's end of year review. Actually compare Heppell's and D'Ambrosio's 2024 and learn from it. Hepp had some very reasonable games early on, but it's gone past him. If he gets a farewell game it should only be if we look like a mathematical impossibility or as sub if we're not, and even then maybe not.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast RND 21: We Gave Freo The Old Heave Ho!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back