AFL Toast RND 21: We Gave Freo The Old Heave Ho!

Remove this Banner Ad

Well we played with effort unlike the past few weeks, we actually played a bit of pace so that's something.

I guess it's good we won and people can get all excited about still being alive to make finals. Archie and Bryan get a win at senior level.

But nothing really changed-
  • Stringer plays his out of the box game,
  • Redman was poor until Martin was told to play more forward but we won so more reward for playing a player out of position and then throwing the late swing master move,
  • We again got up for a top level opponent as we normally do when the expectation is we lose,
  • Once the pressure of expectation was off they relaxed and were rewarded with a win,
  • The overall game pressure wasn't great even our own pressure wasn't that high,
  • Individual efforts from leaders were poor,
  • Skill level still abysmal,

So we get the nice sugar hit, proud of our boys, finals are still achievable rush as fans.
Whilst also harming us long term as no lessons were learned, in fact conditional effort was rewarded, we hurt our draft position and players that have let us down and should be having their inability to perform play out in plain view for the last month of the season get to hide in the shadows of a 'miraculous' win.
AFAIC, the master move is to leave Martin forward of the ball and allow Redman to play his attacking style. They played their natural roles. That allowed us to put on five goals in half a quarter. Why is that a bad thing?

Martin knows more now about how to play a defensive roll. That's great, but surely we should be focused on swinging him back when needed, not the other way around.

Agree on Stringer. He had a great game. I gave him 3 votes. But the pressure is alleviated now. I'm not really expecting to see another game like that from him this year.

Did we not make the same play to close out a game a few weeks ago? I recall asking myself, why did we wait all night to pull that one out of the trick bag?

“The flea flick” left handed ruckman love this tap/set up. Interesting situation where both teams trying to win the game. Caldwell not only creates space behind him but moves himself into a potential coverage as Merrett leaves sweeper spot.

I'm curious where Mercurial89 stands on shaking hands before the game. Shake or nah get ****ed campaigner?

Just to be clear I'm talking afl not auskick.

I don't think you actually are curious.

Not sure why. I am.

Why would shaking someone's hand before a game be an issue based on the reasoning I gave for why I think helping up opponents is silly?

So no I don't.

Why would shaking someone's hand before a game be an issue based on the reasoning I gave for why I think helping up opponents is silly?

So no I don't.
Because there's no benefit, no reward, nothing to be gained and it could go to mindset. I will not shake your hand because you're my opponent. I don't wish you the best. I hope you fail utterly.

Never mind though. Was an honest question out of curiosity not something I was planning to beat you around the head with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So no I don't.
Maybe. Maybe not. I've certainly seen players refuse to shake hands before.
I just want to know if there's a place in the game in 2025 for the Crom power stance.

Never heard of them.

Stayin Alive GIF by Bee Gees

Surely you recognise them now?

AFAIC, the master move is to leave Martin forward of the ball and allow Redman to play his attacking style. They played their natural roles. That allowed us to put on five goals in half a quarter. Why is that a bad thing?

Martin knows more now about how to play a defensive roll. That's great, but surely we should be focused on swinging him back when needed, not the other way around.

Agree on Stringer. He had a great game. I gave him 3 votes. But the pressure is alleviated now. I'm not really expecting to see another game like that from him this year.
Totally agree, will likely fix our F50 entry issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Toast RND 21: We Gave Freo The Old Heave Ho!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back