AFL Autopsy RND 23: Buried and cremated by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, there's losing and there's whatever that was.

How can the players believe the coach when decisions at selection like those the ladt couple of weeks are made? Or is that not even an issue?

I hope Scott now has enough evidence to get the broom out.

One or two player changes isn’t making up 120 point deficit. Baldwin looked promising last week but he’s not fixing that loss.

Players look cooked and have packed it in for the season.

Ben Rutten was sacked for less… what’s James Hird up to?

At this time of year I get sick of watching us limp out of finals contention season after season. It's usually a relief once its over - like today. Now i can get on with watching the good teams play other good teams - without caring too much who wins. Would like to see Adelaide, GWS and Port do well. I like the footy they play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This was a team that was 1 place BELOW us on
The ladder…I can’t even comprehend how this sh*t happens. I can’t even get my head around and comprehend this team at the moment.

My expectations can’t be too high because I did predict a capitulation of some sort but they actually blew away my lowest of low expectations (if that makes sense)…

But I’m going next week anyway because I’ve been digging the MCG atmosphere this year lol

Speechless…

Yep pretty much we’ve been the worst in the league since geelong. Have no idea what happened after Adelaide, that first half was the best footy we’ve played in 10 years. The following 7 weeks have been nothing short of disgraceful
Sides start working out how to play us and we have no answers. We had one trick and when that was shut down we have nothing. Midfield balance is not right and not just in a contested footy was. None of them can out mark an opposition midfielder. No CHF. FF who has lost his marking. No FB. Young blokes who struggle defensively. Young blokes in the side that are simply not ready. Rucks who can only manage limited marks per game between them. Lack of genuine hard edge leadership .Dare I say it we looked better early in the year when Weideman was playing okay (not great but okay) when his form as the lead up CHF fell off the cliff so did ours. As bad as some of his and Jones's form was they where making contests in front a lot of the time. Now we do not even make the front in a contest. There is 4 or 5 years work to do with this list. We are coming from a base of no success and a soft underbelly. It will take all of 7 to 9 years to turn that around and we only set out on that journey at the end of 2020 but had to sack the coach as he was the wrong coach for what we needed.

You know, I'm not honestly that upset. I didn't think we were making the 8, didn't think we'd do anything if we made the 8. It's a huge wake-up call at the end of the year that we are absolutely not as good as it seemed at the start of the year and perhaps leads to some good decisions in the off-season. Also assumed we would have one or two 100 point losses at the beginning of the year so whether it came now or 8 weeks ago or whenever, we are just a list at a stage where this is going to happen.

You know, I'm not honestly that upset. I didn't think we were making the 8, didn't think we'd do anything if we made the 8. It's a huge wake-up call at the end of the year that we are absolutely not as good as it seemed at the start of the year and perhaps leads to some good decisions in the off-season. Also assumed we would have one or two 100 point losses at the beginning of the year so whether it came now or 8 weeks ago or whenever, we are just a list at a stage where this is going to happen.

The biggest problem is they set the expectation by winning in the first half of the year…I reckon everyone was on the same page as you back then…I didn’t care about winning as much at the start because I didn’t expect us to be around the mark…was looking forward to watching the young lads start a new chapter…then they start pulling rabbits out of hats and surprising us by winning lol

Sides start working out how to play us and we have no answers. We had one trick and when that was shut down we have nothing. Midfield balance is not right and not just in a contested footy was. None of them can out mark an opposition midfielder. No CHF. FF who has lost his marking. No FB. Young blokes who struggle defensively. Young blokes in the side that are simply not ready. Rucks who can only manage limited marks per game between them. Lack of genuine hard edge leadership .Dare I say it we looked better early in the year when Weideman was playing okay (not great but okay) when his form as the lead up CHF fell off the cliff so did ours. As bad as some of his and Jones's form was they where making contests in front a lot of the time. Now we do not even make the front in a contest. There is 4 or 5 years work to do with this list. We are coming from a base of no success and a soft underbelly. It will take all of 7 to 9 years to turn that around and we only set out on that journey at the end of 2020 but had to sack the coach as he was the wrong coach for what we needed.
We don't even look like taking a contested mark.

Growing up watching Madden, Vander's & LLoyds of this world, oh boy, the biggest issue apart from gut running.

I wouldn't even drop the axe heaps. Force most of them to play again and get thumped. Seperate the sheep from the goats.

Out: Guelfi, Wright and Menzie

In: Setterfield, Davey and Baldwin

Cox to sub. Laverde forward and Baldwin takes his spot in the backline.

don’t think anyone at the club wants to ask the hard question of “star” players like heppell
  1. what do they offer beyond “leadership”
  2. are they playing in their best position
  3. do they actually deserve their spot in the side
  4. are they playing with injuries
it’s just pathetic

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 23: Buried and cremated by the Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back