AFL Autopsy RND 24: Done At The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

If we had of won it would not have affected our draft position.
Yeah but it would've meant Hawthorn were guaranteed a home final potentially against Fremantle or Brisbane. They would've won that. Now they likely play Dogs who are probably the most difficult match up for them out of the other potential opponents so that's our silver lining.

Yep love pick 4 for him. But end of the day Draper isn’t the problem. I don’t think you need an elite ruckman to go deep in finals. Draper is slowly getting more consistent
Completely agree. Gawn has been the only elite ruckman to win a flag in the last 15 years. The rest have been serviceable.

Draper is arguably the most overrated ruckman we’ve had since the introduction of colour television. Love his passion but if pick 4 was offered you’d take it.
Honestly reckon his back end of the season has been pretty solid... he's taking more marks and kicking more goals.

We've improved on last year. There was greater effort across the season even if skills let us down when it mattered.

Apart from the Port game no absolute shockers..although Geelong and Sydney games (x2) both disappointing. A kind of nothing, numbing, frustrating year. I feel it would have been different if Langford had got the goal on Anzac Day.

Thanks for your loyalty Dyson - it made all the difference during our darkest hours. Go well.

McGrath needs to put the kicking away for a spell. Stop trying to be a rebounding flanker. He looks his best when he just focuses on locking down the best small forward. Tackle, run, tag. No need to worry about possessions. Just use your fitness base to wreck a bloke's day.

Kelly, Laverde, Shiel... cheers, but goodbye.

We've improved on last year. There was greater effort across the season even if skills let us down when it mattered.

Apart from the Port game no absolute shockers..although Geelong and Sydney games (x2) both disappointing. A kind of nothing, numbing, frustrating year. I feel it would have been different if Langford had got the goal on Anzac Day.

Thanks for your loyalty Dyson - it made all the difference during our darkest hours. Go well.

And the 2nd St Kilda game.

But yes overall that was a step forward from last year.

Have you watched him lately? He’s flying. Taking contested marks in the backline. We ****ed up big time.
I seriously must’ve missed all of his contested marks. I went and had a look at his stats. He took one contested mark against Geelong in R17 - maybe I was taking a piss. That’s the last contested mark attributed to him. Oh and he took one against Brisbane in R11. I’m not bothering to look further back.

He, much like Essington, is the great pretender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How often did we handball or kick directly to Brisbane or not see a Brisbane player within a couple of metres of our player? It was like there was a jumper clash but only in the eyes of Essendon as Brisbane didn't seem to suffer from it.

An ok year overall, still a crap ton to work on before we can be consistently competitive. Brad has now had 2 years with the list, he and Rosa need to have some big chats about how to balance it out while culling the deadwood. The issue is whether Scott sees his pets like Laverde as deadwood, is he prepared to back in Hayes or Reid's body instead?

How often did we handball or kick directly to Brisbane or not see a Brisbane player within a couple of metres of our player? It was like there was a jumper clash but only in the eyes of Essendon as Brisbane didn't seem to suffer from it.

An ok year overall, still a crap ton to work on before we can be consistently competitive. Brad has now had 2 years with the list, he and Rosa need to have some big chats about how to balance it out while culling the deadwood. The issue is whether Scott sees his pets like Laverde as deadwood, is he prepared to back in Hayes or Reid's body instead?
Yeah, unbelievable. Commentators even mentioned it thinking they misstook the jumber then (I think Hodge) said only Bombers doing it. Was infuriating.

Our skill level is not AFL standard. If I was the coach I would insist the footy's are part of preseason from day 1.

Have you watched him lately? He’s flying. Taking contested marks in the backline. We ****ed up big time.
Agreed I have seen him take some decent hits this year. Not defensively minded he half arse chases when the opposition have the ball but isn't soft. The big upgrade on most of our players is his split second decision making and elite use. And unlike say a Tex he gets a heap of it.

Agreed I have seen him take some decent hits this year. Not defensively minded he half arse chases when the opposition have the ball but isn't soft. The big upgrade on most of our players is his split second decision making and elite use. And unlike say a Tex he gets a heap of it.
elite use that ranks him 125 in the league for disposal efficiency, below such players as heppel, redman, laverde and mcgrath

I seriously must’ve missed all of his contested marks. I went and had a look at his stats. He took one contested mark against Geelong in R17 - maybe I was taking a piss. That’s the last contested mark attributed to him. Oh and he took one against Brisbane in R11. I’m not bothering to look further back.

He, much like Essington, is the great pretender.
So you haven't watched him. Well now he's in finals and we aren't, you have a chance :)

Only watched end of second and some of the third quarter. In that period Laverde got beaten by his man 1 on 1 twice, turned the ball over in the middle of the ground by fumbling badly (goal), turned the ball over in the back pocket (goal), and then turned the ball over trying to be the overlap player out of defence twice.

But the one that killed me was the suicide hand ball to young Roberts which put him in an impossible situation and he got nailed in a tackle.

He’s been a warrior for the club, but he has absolutely got to go.

Serious concerns as to why we are okay with him demanding ball in hand and providing overlap run out of defence. Our structure/roles responsibilities is a total mess.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Autopsy RND 24: Done At The Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Back